The Killing (Seasons 1-3)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Top41, Jun 10, 2013.

1. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

The councilman's story was without question the weakest in season 1. I would say more negative stuff about it but it might be spoilery.
    Stick with it, the ending is kick-ass.
    Yes, especially since Holder and Linden are getting more screen time together. This season is structured a bit differently, but they are working their way to the heart of Linden's problems, I think.

2. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I just finished season 2 on netflix.

JESUS H CHRIST my jaw is still on the floor as to the identify of Rosie's killer. Christ, how dark you can get? I thought i'd have a heart attack. Gruesome. Selfish and gruesome.

Yeah, Linden and Holder are the best thing. Now there's a male/female platonic pairing I can get behind. Chemistry off the charts. Real depth of feeling from two individuals damaged beyond belief. I love great character work. The Killing is a good show. What the hell is all the bitching about?

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Shitty writing and poor planning?

Everyone loved the characters, or the most part, but it was just bad pacing, writing, planning. Thankfully the tighter season three, ten episodes and solve the mystery, seems to fix a lot of the problems.

4. Dorian Thompson

Writing and pacing seem fine when you watch it in a marathon viewing.

5. bigdaddy

1. I doubt that.
    2. It's a TV show, not a movie.
    3. This isn't Netflix.

6. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

Oh cool--I love Linden. I think she's such an interesting and complex character. I like Holder, too--I want to get to the bottom of all of his issues as well. I can't wait to start the new season. I'm almost done with season two!

Agreed. I think the councilman storyline is a little weak, but it doesn't frustrate me that much. Otherwise, I'm totally into the show. I watched four episodes of season two last night--I was only going to watch two but I couldn't stop!

I only have three eps left to go and then I get to start season three.

7. Dorian Thompson

The end of season 2 will throw you for a loop. :techman: I agree, Linden is fascinating. She's got the complexity that male characters usually get in scripts. I love the actress. She's fantastic. So is Joel Kinnamon as Holder for that matter. Both very compelling.

Yes, bigdaddy, I know it's a television show. That's why I watched 12 episodes in a row--on Netflix.

8. gblews

The folks doing all the bitching and moaning were all bent out of shape because they thought, for reasons unknown, that they had been promised they'd find out who the killer was by the season 1 finale.

That didn't happen and just like my mom, who hated 2-part episodes of Barnaby Jones or Mannix back in the 70's, they got angry at the show.

Funny really, when you consider that this is the era of serialized T.V. show.

9. bigdaddy

The writing of the show was horrible, we thought we would end the goose chase through the horrible side stories, when that didn't happen a lot of the audience left, I gave season 2 a chance but with more horribly written subplots I just didn't care.

It has nothing to do with hating two parters or continuing story lines. :rolleyes:

10. Dorian Thompson

Watching season 3 on amazon to get caught up since my sweetie pie is stuck working. I'm already hooked. I'm going to go into withdrawal when I catch up with the live schedule and have to wait like everyone else. :lol:

11. Top41

I know--I'm anticipating the same problem once I get caught up! :o

Only two more eps of season two to go... can't wait to see where it's going to end up. :D

Also, I laughed out loud when Linden showed the badge on the elevator camera and smiled. :lol: Linden is awesome.

12. Dorian Thompson

I loved that scene. :guffaw: I've never seen a smile that said "fuck you" better than a raised middle finger, but that one did.

13. Top41

She has the best fake smile. It cracks me up. :lol:

14. Top41

I finished season two today. WOW... was that dark, especially that twist at the end. I cried when the family watched Rosie's movie. Such a sad ending! But then, the murder of a seventeen-year-old girl is always going to be a sad thing--sometimes procedural shows gloss over that sadness, in part because they only really have 43 minutes to solve the case. I feel like this show really did the sadness of it justice.

And the councilman was relevant, I suppose! I kind of wish we'd seen a little less of the campaign, but eh, it's a minor quibble. I get it now.

I do wonder if they knew from the outset who the killer was. I'd think they would have had to, but I'd be curious to know if that was indeed the case, or if they switched gears at any point.

I'm excited to start season three and catch up! I've got all six episodes on my DVR, so I'll probably start later this week/this coming weekend.

15. Dorian Thompson

Just got fully caught up with season three. I don't have a working television so I have to rely on streaming.

Bullitt is breaking my heart. :( That poor girl. She has a good heart, but all she gets is shit in return. Callie's disappeared; then she gets molested by that creep Mills; Lyric turned out to be a shallow twat who'd rather be with that loser Twitch and Holder rejected her because he was so angry about Lindon and what she was forced to endure.

Bullitt is Lindon 15 years younger. Ran away from the foster system. Alone. Guarded with her emotions but not yet completely emotionally stunted in an effort to protect herself. She has a powerful protective instinct for others, but she's on a downward spiral to becoming emotionally isolated like Lindon. Eventually she won't be able to trust or give anymore.

Lindon and Holder. Wow. I love, love, love the powerful platonic bond between them. Usually writers and directors can only manage that kind of friendship motif with two male characters but, with a superior actress in the role like Enos, it can be done. If she'd been cast as Watson in Elementary instead of the talentless Lucy Liu, I might give a shit about that show.

16. Dorian Thompson

Is no one else still watching? Oh my God, last night's episode broke my heart into pieces for obvious reasons. :( What a malevolent fuck the "religious" guy in the cell block was. Yowza. :wtf: That was some twisted shit.

Ahhhhh, Holder and Linden. She continues to fascinate with how unbelievably guarded she is. The directorial choices made during the scene where she came by to comfort him were masterfully done. He tries to kiss her (albeit only because of his strong emotions and despair at the moment); she holds back, but she doesn't touch him when he starts to cry. Most people would feel compelled to put their arms around someone crying, to hold their hand, touch their shoulder. Women are demonstrative, but Linden holds herself back even though she cares deeply for Holder as a person. It shows how cut off she is. Just going to the apartment itself to check on him must have been an act of will. Even the she had at the beginning of the season--he was just a kid to her. Linden opens up so rarely to anyone. It's a fascinating dynamic. Love it.

Such a sad episode. :( I knew it had to be coming, but it was so sad anyway. :( Hell, maybe Seward killed his wife after all. The son just wants to get him out, maybe?

17. gblews

I just got caught up on the last two episodes. When what's his name slammed into Linden in the storage building and started beating her, I was yelling for Holder to get there, not because I thought the guy would do serious harm to Linden but because I wanted to see him kick the guys ass. Holder gets there but really doesn't beat the guy enough. But when he held him up and Linden started kicking him, I went nuts. Great scene. That was totally unexpected. Linden, like Scully, is tiny and not real physical so when she started kicking the guy -- I loved it. BTW, when Lindn yelled "HOLDERRRRR", anyone else think, "MOLDERRRRRR"?

How will Holder recover from this? He thinks to himself, If I'de only answered, Bullet would be alive". Linden hurrying down to the garage after finding her neclace among the rings was touching. Her and Holder's relationship has really developed. Don't know what to think if they're going for a romance if the show goes on. Saw an interviw with Enos and she was a bit coy when the question was asked. If I had my way, I'de keep it deep but platonic, but I said the same thing about Peter and Olivia in Fringe and grew to like their relationship.

Wow, "Krychek" working over Seward. That was well done. Did not see it coming. They've done a good job of this season of giving the "impatient" something to hang on to while still holding back some mystery for the rest of us. I am completely in the dark as to Seward. The most likely thing is that he killed his wife, but I'm sure not 100% convinced.

Somehow I feel like I'm going to feel a bit of a letdown once we find out all the answers at the end of the season. Well maybe they'll hold a little something back that we won't miss if the show doesn't get renewed but will enjoy seeing fleshed out if they do.

18. Dorian Thompson

I'm thinking Seward did kill his wife. She's not connected to these girls; who else could have done it?

Yeah, Linden and Holder definitely have a few Scully/Mulder vibes, but Scully and Mulder weren't nearly as emotionally broken as these two. The depth of their affection for each other surprises, but it's gratifying to see. Friendships are what really shine on screen. Usually it's two men, but it's great to see with a man and a woman.

19. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    This is such a well written and acted show. My wife and I started watching it on Netflix a few weeks ago, and marathoned the first two seasons and got up to date on season 3. After the last episode, I looked at my wife, remembering the twists at the end of the past two seasons, and said, "What aren't we seeing? Something is in here, and I'm not quite putting it together."

Really looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

And Mireille Enos is incredible.

20. Top41

I'm going to start/catch up on season three this weekend!! I can't wait. I keep hearing how good this season is. So excited! :D

Also, Holder in a suit. :drool: [/shallow] ;)