Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion in cash and stock.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JoeZhang, Oct 30, 2012.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNoImZWcTbw[/yt]

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lucas to donate most of the procedes to charity.

That's cool. :techman: You are hereby absolved for the prequels, George.

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe after Disney buys SE and purge all the upper and middle management killing the company.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That IS cool. The dude has more money than he probably knows what to do with. There's no reason why he shouldn't be donating it to good causes.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Sounds to me like he knows exactly what to do with it. :)

6. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Cant believe how much coverage this story is getting,ST didnt get thid much coverage when they mentioned that it was goin to be rebooted.wonder what the next 3 movies are going to be like?.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately ST doesn't have the comparable cultural effect that SW has.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Star Trek was a franchise with 11 movies and 5 TV shows. More Star Trek was hardly big news.

9. Temis the Vorta

I think the frenzy has to do with the immense assumed potential of Star Wars. It's been run by just one guy for decades, who has exploited it to the hilt in some regards (toys, books) but not in movies or TV, which have been skimpy compared with what a "rational" profit driven corporation would have done with it (and will now do with it.) The prequels did well for instance, but given the incredible box office that action fantasy blockbusters are capable of, Episode 7 could leave them all in the dust.

Star Wars is like a huge vault of of gold and gems that's been locked in some miser's vault for years, collecting dust, and suddenly he sells the whole pile and floods the market with dazzling wealth.

Star Trek isn't quite as well situated to take advantage of the huge global market for action adventure spectacle movies. At its core, Star Trek is still about ideas, and that's a bit of a drag on that mindless adrenaline rush that audiences crave. But Star Wars, wow, that's the pure shit. :D

10. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRMFH71fDIE[/yt]

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

11. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Lol. :lol: Here are some other related funnies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I assume she's the daughter of Darth Kitty. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Christopher

I don't get that last GIF with the chariot. What's the Disney reference there?

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

My best guess is Hercules.

14. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

That would be my guess too, but I'm not entirely sure what the reference is intended to be either. It came up in a google search about news related to the trade, so I kept it.

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I saw that Han/Chariot gif at least a year or more ago, so it doesn't have anything to do with the Disney/Star Wars deal.

Neither does the pink Princess Vader for that matter. Still cute, though.

16. Christopher

^But presumably the GIFs were selected because they were Disney/SW mashups, something which clearly existed before the deal just because there are random mashups of everything out there already. So it stands to reason that the chariot is from some Disney production, and that's the question I'm asking: what production?

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I don't believe it's from a Disney production at all or was ever intended to have anything to do with Disney, despite whoever compiled those images thinking it did (like I said, the pink princess image has nothing to do with Disney either --it's just a generic princess costume with Vader parts added. The only vague connection is that Disney Princesses are so popular). I think someone (probably at 4Chan) just thought it would be funny to make the scene of Han chasing after the Stormtroopers look like they were pulling him in a chariot. The chariot and harnesses are just drawn on to the Star Wars gif frame by frame, it's not taken from any other movie. Searching the image on TinEye shows no mention of Disney whatsoever.

18. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

What do you all think about who should direct the next movie?

I found the following article which raises some interesting possibilities (and some not-so-interesting):
    http://www.hitfix.com/news/10-dream-directors-to-replace-george-lucas-on-star-wars-episode-7

The only two I really like on this list are Brad Bird and Alfonso Cuaron, but I don't think either have a shot at this really. Not enough box office experience. The idea of Favreau doing it is kind of looney tunes, his tone would be totally wrong for the universe I think. Del Toro is an interesting idea, but I think he's too closely associated with horror to have a real shot at it.

My fear is that it will end up in the hands of someone bankable but kind of bland, like a Ron Howard. Didn't his Dark Tower project blow up recently?

edit:
    Nevermind, I found the other thread here:
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=7179742#post7179742

19. Temis the Vorta

Rumor du jour: they're bringing back Darth Vader now. :D

That wouldn't shock me at all. Disney sees Star Wars as a brand that encompasses important sub-brands - Luke Skywalker etc. The other OT characters are also brands, but Vader is the biggest brand of them all.

Rather than trying to bring back Vader in the post-ROTJ trilogy, can't they just do a trilogy set between ROTS and ANH, with Vader as the man character? They have big brands in Star Wars, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Leia Organa for the next trilogy, do they really need Vader too?

They could have Luke go all darkside and become Vader, who is not a person but rather a deathless force of evil or something like that. I'd prefer Luke to become Darth Anythingelse, but this is Disney and you can't have Snow White without the Evil Queen, after all.

20. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I'm going to take a wild guess at this point and say that they will bring Vader back by cloning. There's already a lot of precedent for that in the PT.