The Newsroom.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Guy Gardener, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Think how humanizing it must have been for Will to have all these questions about his inadequacy of being infatuated with a paragon rendered moot after she rebranded herself as a cheater.

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Mmh, I hadn't thought about it that way. But it seems any relief about that was outweighed by his heart being broken.

3. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

i hope not the one who wrote "life as a Campaing".

4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I really liked that scene, my favourite of the show so far. It was nice that there was finally a Republican (I don't count Will as one no matter how much Sorkin claims he is) on the show that wasn't just a stuffed shirt for Sorkin to rant against. Watching two equal but opposing forces face off against one another is much more mesmerising than watching a hurricane knock over a scarecrow.

Other than that, I liked the length Will went to to fuck with MacKenzie, it was a delightfully dickish thing to do.

I have to admit, she seems to have the feel for Sorkin's style of dialogue better than the other actors, and the result is that she comes across as a better actor than most of the cast. Having seen her on The Daily Show in the past, I feared she was going to be the weak link, but Slone is now my second favourite character on the show after Charlie.

Yeah, this episode seemed to draw quite a bit from TWW, including Will having an abusive father, just like Bartlet. I can't remember what sort of relationship Matt Albie had with his father, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was abusive too.

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Abusive alcoholics aren't exactly a rare breed.

6. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Newest episode, 5/1...

Damn, that was a heck of an ending. The "late for dinner" storyline is intriguing. Is a start of a drift from "reality" or is it going to shoehorn in with the Brits phone hacking scandle.

Though her part was small, I once again enjoyed Olivia Munn's performance, and the entire b story on the airliner. I thought that fully baked will was funny if not predictable. Indifferent to the James and Maggie characters, I can't help but want more of the triangle story for the constant use of James Tiberious Harper line, but I do like the characters even if their story line is weak. Oh, and I'm liking Terry Crews as the bodyguard. Loved all the little Sorkin one liners and quips.

Overall, another hell ya, and can't wait till next week.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  7. Guy Gardener

I want to be locked in an airplane bathroom with that flight attendant.

Stuff happened in the rest of the episode too.

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

James definitely needs to cut Maggie loose. The brunette (can't remember her name) is a far more interesting and endearing character, doesn't seem to be nearly as damaged (or taken), and I think he would do far better with her. I think he gets that as well with his attempt at a "second first date".

The "late for dinner" voice sounds very familiar. I'm assuming that's the new character being shown in the preview for next week? I like where the potential for that character can take the show. I just hope it doesn't get too hokey.

9. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Maggie is one of the most annoying characters on TV (Mac wasn't quite as bad this week).

10. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Being someone who has taken interest in many of the real-life stories surrounding the tragedy of 9/11, I enjoyed a number of the aspects of this episode detailing "5/1". These included disseminating the news on the death of OBL to people like the United Airlines pilots and the NYPD officers. Aside from these sentimental moments, I found the storyline to be a little on the thin side, but I am willing to forgive that aspect for a story focused on this content.

Unfortunately, the annoying love triangle (square?) from hell was also back in full force this episode and was teeth-grindingly awful. I really feel that these younger characters have de-evolved to the point where they seem to have very little contribution or purpose to any larger storyline and they seem to exist only for the telling of this absolutely cliche bad sitcom-quality love triangle. I find this to be a real shame as in the pilot, Jim and Maggie seemed to be two characters with a lot of storyline potential. That has descended to the point where I cringe anytime I see them on the screen. IMO, Sorkin's style of dialogue just doesn't work in an already extremely cheesy love triangle.

3/5

After seeing next week's preview, I'm going to throw out a small theory that came to me that Mac didn't actually "physically" cheat on Will but said so either because she felt guilty for considering it or felt it would hold back Will career-wise in some way or some other soap-ish reason that gives them another reason to get back together. This is based on just one line of dialogue from a preview so I'm not throwing all my money on it yet but thought I would put it out there.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  11. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. I have no idea what possible quality Jim could find attractive about her. But then again, his own position on the scale of annoyingness isn't anything to brag about either.

12. Data Holmes

So, which Newsroom character is going to go off to Mandyland between this and next season?

13. Guy Gardener

White knight complex?

She's kinda fucked up and he wants to save her.

Or maybe he just gets turned on by women with invisible eyebrows?

That's not her real hair colour right?

Women who dye their hair to much start to bald.

Allison is starting to bald.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Just watched last nights episode and dam The Newsroom just reached West Wing levels with that. I loved every dam minute :techman:

15. Data Holmes

I loved the silent speech ending. Not often you see a show dump the end credits music sequence, but it is nice when it is done and done well.

16. Count Zero

I loved this episode. Strangely enough, given the fact it revolved around such a sombre subject, I found myself laughing out loud a few times. I loved the party in Will's apartment and his little, socially awkward yet lovable speech ("Resume being here!" :lol:).
    While the idea of having him be high while all this is going on and he has to go on the air and be up to the task does sound a little childish I liked it and it played out well. I liked all the little moments of hilarity it created ("Just enjoy the moment!") and also the moments of support his condition garnered from his colleagues.
    It was also hilarious how he seems to know everyone and has these helpful anecdotes ready explaining why. When he said he had called NATO HQ I you didn't know whether he had just imagined it, being high, or whether he really did.
    The story on the plane was good as well. The best moment for me here was Sloan reading out the message from that deranged fan. I laughed out loud.

I also like to thank Aaaron Sorkin for keeping it low on the patriotism scale, relatively speaking. The reaction many Americans had to those news, namely the "USA! USA!" chanting and the cheering as if the US had just won an important sports event, was something that I found very alien and also disconcerting (no offense). It certainly made me realise that, despite watching so many hours of American TV and movies and following the news, I really don't understand Americans at all.
    Anyway, I thought it was a nice touch we didn't get to see that but rather the quiet and thoughtful moments.

17. Data Holmes

It was a release moment. OBL was the Boogie Man hiding out there ready to jump out and kill you for years. Most of those cheering, they were in their late teens and early twenties. They were people who were in the single digits to teens when 9/11 happened and OBL became the nations Boogieman.

I was older, but seeing it play out on TV I understood and it felt, for lack of a better word, good to know we had finally got him.

18. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to derail things, but...
    And I don't understand how anyone could possibly object to the celebrations. Some said it was bloodlust, but I consider that absurd; if he'd been taken alive, and was in US custody, does anyone seriously believe the mood would have been even less triumphant? If anything, I'd think the opposite would be true.

Are you saying that, after nearly ten years of delay, the capture of a man responsible for murdering more than 3,000 people, not to mention the resulting economic damage and rush to war with Iraq, was less worthy of celebration than a win at an "important sports event"? Because if so, I'm afraid I don't understand you at all. :)

19. Count Zero

To me, it looked like reducing a rather complex conflict to something akin to a sports event where you win if you kill someone from the other side. I found this way of seeing things quite alien. It's not that easy to explain, I guess, and it isn't a debate I really want to have because it would probably derail pretty quickly. I just mentioned it because I appreciated how we got to see a different side in the episode.

20. Guy Gardener

The bloodlust was off putting.

You could tell that everyone was doing the Carlton dance in their head the instant they heard.