Atlas Shrugged

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by xortex, Jan 3, 2013.

1. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

And if you just happen to be a lover of cinema, you'll realize that those were terrible movies.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Millions of something, yes. Not Jews or Muslims. The only people killed in that scene are worshipers of Nicolae Carpathia, i.e. the Antichrist. Conversely, many of the main characters who survive the whole thing ARE Jews or Muslims.

3. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

:lol:

Good one!

4. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Forget the film. But, you should read the book before it's banned.

5. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

The Fountainhead is a better book and film... :D

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Banned by who? Its been out for 55 years. Don't see it going away any time soon.

7. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

On my shelf I traditionally keep Atlas Shrugged next to a copy of Chairman Mao's Little Red Book just to piss both of them off. You'd think there'd be sparks or something. :lol:

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Or book sex.

9. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Very angry hate sex.

Put another way: Jesus arrived on Earth and gleefully incinerated millions of non-Christians.

Lulz.

10. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did not know that. Hm. [/Johnny Carson]

Actually, the only ones who survive in that book are the "RTC"s. The Jewish and Muslim people either miraculously convert to Jesus (oops! He IS the Messiah! Oh how silly of me to adhere to my faith out of some sense of love and devotion!), or die. Believe me, I have the entire collection in hardcover and on disc, and I can pull it up quickly.

In the final pages of the book, Jesus massacres millions upon millions of people on his "left", and that's after all of the global judgments where billions of other innocents are brutally killed by plagues and other bowls of wrath inflicted by said god. The book states that those with the mark of the best are destroyed. The mark of the beast, of course, being the mark put upon people so that they could buy and sell. You know, make money so they can eat and have a place to live.

"The Glorious Appearing" is anything but, and the Jesus portrayed there is a psychopath. Fuck that guy.

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Uh oh. I voted for Obama and think Occupy Wall Street was poorly organized, ineffective, and lacked a clear direction or concise goals. Please tell me what I should think about Atlas Shrugged, Admiral 2! I don't know which box in your extremely limited worldview I should fit in to. Also, how do my political views effect my appreciation of Cloud Atlas, since there seems to be some overlap?

12. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It seems that if you are someone on the FAR Right, desperate to grasp ANYthing that supports/glorifies your point of view (Also see: "Obama's Birth Certificate is a Fake" and "Obama is a Muslim who brings his dog along on trips in a separate plane" (Yes, I was lucky enough to have THAT interesting discussion with a relative over Christmas!!...)), you probably thought that this movie was great.

If you are one of many on the FAR Left, you wouldn't have needed to have seen the movie in order to have decided for yourself that it was a piece of steaming crap.

On the other hand, as Mirrorball Man has stated, the majority of people without an agenda who simply went in to see a movie thought it was quite lacking.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  13. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I think the funniest thing to me is that there's a movie in 2012 about how trains will save the economy. Trains.

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Listen to 'City of New Orleans' often enough... [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfxoM6trtZE[/yt]

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually think trains COULD help the economy, but I doubt I think it in the same way Rand did. :borg:

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

High speed rail is doing wonders in China. Of course most of it was constructed by the government from force technology transfers. I doubt the Randians or their Goddess would be very excited by that.

17. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

In the next couple of decades, I think some parts of the world are going to regret that they haven't invested more in train infrastructure.

18. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ayn Rand was a writer. That means copyright was her bread and butter, which meant that her philosophy/economics/politics put supreme emphasis on intellectual property laws, even though economic history reveals the key role played by the spread of technology despite such laws. The notion that capitalism is perfect holds no water where her checkbook was concerned, though. That's why her characters were drawn as actually doing "creative" work, even though the number of inventors who got rich is minuscule.

19. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

"She was full of hypocritical bullshit" is a much shorter sentence to type, and just as accurate. ;)

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Seriously? You really think it's going to be banned?

You can buy erotica in Wal-Mart now. I think book banning's gone out of style--except for the crazy folks who try to yank Harry Potter out of school libraries or whatever.