Older people - How do you define 'young'

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kirby, Nov 21, 2013.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

But it's important, otherwise they don't learn. One reason why I am against firing people when they made a mistake and replacing them with new guys. Those new guys haven't made the mistake, so they are likely to make it again.

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll always be young :)

But I'll admit that people who are half my age and run a radio with more horse powers than their car (with the basses turned up to 800%, ruining all the delicate work of sound engineers and musicians) count as unbearable brats in my book, just as demented older folks like my ex-landlady ("I always hear a storm noises but there is no storm. It must therefore be that YOU have a machine running that makes storm noises. It's totally impossible that I have tinnitus and only imagine the sounds") count as crumbly daft fossiles.

Fortunately, I was never the first and I sincerely hope I'll never close ranks with the latter.

3. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

I know I'm old(er than before) now - twenty year old girls aren't attractive any more, they're children.

You said it! :techman:

4. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

And when somebody dies from stroke/heart failure/cancer in their older 50s, 60s and early 70s, it strikes me as a much more tragic and untimely death nowadays. Sally Ride, the first female NASA astronaut, was still several decades away from the limits of a human lifespan when she passed away suddenly.

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. Watching the younger generation overcome the arrogance that is a natural part of youth is always interesting.

Of course, they'll never admit that they were arrogant in the first place, but watching them change as they age is still interesting.

And sometimes, entertaining.

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    While some never overcome it.

7. rhubarbodendron

sadly true. In all fairness we have to admit, though, that oldtimers can be fairly arrogant, too. I really loathe the I-am-older-and-therefore-know-everything-better phase.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Indeed, I wasn't going to comment but glad someone else noticed.

9. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

True enough.

10. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Not being "old" (i.e. over seventy years of age) I suppose "older" (i.e. not old but also not young) means people like myself, I thought I might as well put my two cents into this thread:

Young is that which is not old; young is the cheese that hasn't found it's taste, the wine that is merely grape-juice, the car you'd scrap rather than sell to a collector, the music that hasn't been muzak'ed, the TV-series that still runs, the candle you've just lit, Kirk before The Motion Picture, the bread that is still edible, the fashion some would call outrageous, the technology children -but not their parents- understand and use... young is the 'before', where mature is the 'after'...

I think I better read the rest of the thread now.

ETA:
    Having done that (read the rest of the thread) I feel I should add that old is what you are in the process of becoming when you notice that you have more in common with your parents than you have differences :p

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  11. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Anyone who is at least 5 years younger than me. Yeah... D:

Oh and anyone born in the '90s or later...

When people at my job say they were not born in the 1980s or earlier (1990+) I'm always like WTF I'M OLD.

For reference, I was born in 1986.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

There will come a day, if it hasn't already, when young people will start posting on this BBS who were born in the year the older posters signed up.

13. rhubarbodendron

As we used to say when I was young: We are the people our parents always warned us about :D

TD, you keep surprising me. You're pretty wise for someone that young.

14. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you don't remember September 11th, if you have to ask me "what year was that?" or can't tell me what you were doing, you are young. That means, anyone under say 18 years old is young.

I'm 30 and starting to feel my age. When I listen to popular music, I think "God, this is terrible! Say something worthwhile!" I look at the ages on alcohol or a pack of smokes (1993 and 1996) and I think about how many things I have in my apartment older than someone who can buy alcohol. I will freak out in 4 years when there are adults, 18-year-olds, that don't remember the 20th century.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm sure the Victorians felt the same about the Edwardians, they managed.

16. trekkiedane

Plus: I can swim :p

17. rhubarbodendron

I can't :p Didn't get around to it yet. Maybe in a few centuries..

18. trekkiedane

Well, I live on an island in a country of coastline...

Oh, and I've got some shore-leave coming up :p

19. rhubarbodendron

how about leaving the coast behind and spend a while in a mountaneous region? We have frosty winters, snow, tourists, Christmas markets, endless forrests, high-calory food and a gazillion sorts of beer. :D

20. trekkiedane

Well, I can swim but I cant ski - and I'm going to the x-mas market in Flensburg tomorrow :p