NHL Season Discussion - 2013/14

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Danny99, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I have't been watching much. My free preview of NHL Center Ice ran out a few weeks ago and I haven't bothered buying yet.

2. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Five games for Neal is not enough. And if Thornton isn't given fifty games or more for setting the perception of hockey players back a decade, it's a travesty.

3. Savage Dragon

Link? I haven't been following hockey much this year.

4. Danny99

5. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Interest will pick back up after the Olympic break. Blackhawks just keep racking up the goals this year. The PK has me plenty worried this year.

6. Savage Dragon

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Anyone watching the Winter Classic?

8. Danny99

It's been a good game so far, seems the crowd is really into it too.

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, it looks fun. Going into overtime now. I'm having trouble deciding who to root for. I have a bunch of friends who live in Anne Arbor who are obviously rooting for the Red Wings, but I'm not sure I'll forgive them for beating the Flyers in the Stanley Cup in 1996. Plus, it's good to see a Canadian team in this. On the other hand, part of the fun in having a Canadian team is to root against them.

I end up rooting for whichever team is losing to score. Unfortunately, I can't do that anymore.

10. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I thoroughly enjoyed the game - a pair of old Norris Division foes, now in the Atlantic ... the snow, the cold, the solid-colored unis. Loved every moment of the game - even if the game itself was slower and sloppier than normal (I think that was part of the charm, actually).

As a Devils fan, I had no real rooting interest in this one. I was pleased to see a hard-fought, tight game in such a scenic, "classic" setting. And 105,000+ there watching? Awesome.

11. Danny99

Glad to see the Leafs win. Besides this being the Winter Classic, they needed it in the playoff race.

12. Ramicus

Ramicus Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Exciting game, even as a fan of a different team (Boston). I even managed to watch the shootout, when I discovered there was a free live stream.

I did not, however, like the unveiling of my Team USA boys. I would have much preferred a video conference of sorts on the Jumbotron. Or really anything but the little kids in jerseys.

13. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    I was there!

Missed the first period because of a combination of a border crossing problem/delay and some absolutely horrible driving weather on I-94. Tons of accidents, and we were fortunate not to be hit by an SUV that spun out, and which did hit another poor guy who had already been in an accident and was waiting in his van on the shoulder for the police.

Stupidly cold. Constant snowfall. And really, really awesome.

I'll post some pics tomorrow, but right now, I need to go to bed, because we just got home.

14. Greylock Crescent

Please do post some pics! That looked like an experience of a lifetime. I'm glad you made it there (and home) safe and sound.

BTW, I love that there were so many passionate fans at the game and (thus far anyway) no reports of any stupid confrontations. Maybe it was just too damned cold there, but I like to think that we're all hockey fans first, and that the game transcended rivalry and became something truly universal.

But you were there. What was the atmosphere like between the fans - especially fans of rival teams?

15. Danny99

Did no one tell the crowd that the US Olympic announcement was going to happen? I saw more people heading for the exits than giving a damn.

16. Savage Dragon

I was quite surprised by that too. Good game though.

17. Ruaidhri

They announced the women's team in the second intermission. I have a pic of that. But I'll tell you, I didn't hang around for the men's announcement.

You know why? I was fucking freezing.

I was there for the game, those Olympic team announcements were secondary. What shocked me were the people heading for the exits a few minutes before the end of the 3rd period. Some of them were with small children who probably needed to get out of the weather, which I understand. There were a lot of people succumbing to the cold, some if whom needed to be taken to ambulances on carts.

Here's one pic. I'll post the rest from home tonight.

[​IMG]

18. Greylock Crescent

^ Very cool! Thanks for sharing that! How did you and everyone around you feel about the snow? Did it hinder your view of the game much?

19. Ruaidhri

The snowfall didn't interfere with watching the game at all. It was never very heavy, so you could see just fine. It wasn't to the level of the Eagles-Lions NFL game a few weeks ago. Honestly, the snow really added to the atmosphere at Michigan Stadium. No one who went will ever forget that game. Most of the Leafs fans were in the north end, and the Wings fans in the south end. Everyone was really good natured, no harrassment that I saw.

Here are some more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the kiddie rink down at the south end of the game rink:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attendance announcement!
    [​IMG]

Me and wife:
    [​IMG]

The announcement of the USA Women's Olympic hockey team:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, and here's a link to a minute long video of the end of the shootout, complete with my Leafs-Crazy wife going nuts.
    [​IMG]

20. Greylock Crescent

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. Gives a great perspective on the game!

As someone who watched it on TV, I can say it's highly unlikely that I'll forget the game, either!
    Why is she wearing red?

;)