Is Q always listening?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by LobsterAfternoon, Aug 31, 2012.

1. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

While I of course understand that having Q solve every conflict would make for bad tv, do you think he's always listening to Picard and/or Janeway? If they made him the right offer, would he swoop in and avert whatever disaster was about to befall the Enterprise or Voyager?

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably. Q likes sparring with Picard, and flirting with Janeway, so I wouldn't put it past him to be constantly spying on them both.

Shame that we never got to see Q meet Kirk, BTW...

3. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

Is Q always listening? That's up to him, I guess.

But...yeesh. Given that state of affairs, one wonders just how much of Councellor Troi's professional time is spent treating various crewmember's sexual performance anxiety. :D

4. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Perhaps part of Q's schtick is to make everyone forget that he is watching and listening. If Q puts a kind of mental block in everyone's head that keeps them from realizing this, he can do what he feels like. Besides, if everyone knew he was watching, they wouldn't be "authentic", would they?

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Would be interesting to know if Q was around during Best of Both Worlds. First he was responsible for the Enterprise making premature first contact with the Borg. And then he kinda cared for Picard.

6. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    yes, and I think he watches them in the bathroom as well.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Q is like the crazy uncle that never goes away.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Q is watching you masturbate.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Excellent caption to go with a shot of Q poking his head through a wall from Qpid.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I've always been of the opinion that Humans are only one of many races that Q messes around with and sometimes occasionally forgets about them unless he happens to be passing through their neighborhood.

I do think, however, that Q did have more than a little interest in the crew of the Enterprise-D and did rate Picard as one of his favorite Humans to play with.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would have been EPIC.

Isn't that Ceiling Q?

12. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I've always liked the 'Trelane is a Q' idea, even if it's not canon. DeLancie says Q owes a lot to the character.

13. teacake

Yep, I always watch Squire that way. It's the panache, the foppishness, the narcissism.. really they are the same character.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't like him being the Q, but a member of the Q Continuum(which I like to think of as more an alliance of all the godlike aliens in Trek, rather than a single hyperevolved species)? Sounds fine to me.

15. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would propose Qs are capable of doing this, but its not something they actively engage in. I'd suggest that their arrogance leads them to believe there's no practical reason (or mischievous) reason for doing it that holds their interest.

Do keep in mind, the Q lack some very basic understandings since they came into existence with the power they have. They never learned lessons like "Ever vigilance" or how it can be helpful and even essential to monitor and gather information. I would think they would, again, write it off as a waste of time because if they really want to know something they can go back or forward in time to find out, but "Databasing" the knowledge isn't something they see as practical. Its kind of like the same effect most people have with wikipedia and similar sources today. Many (not all) people don't bother committing things to memory because they can look up the information whenever they want, but, again, many people instead of accessing the information when they actually need it, simply don't, choosing to remain ignorant (more then likely because they feel rushed for time for other reasons).

16. teacake

Could he be the Q as a toddler?

(Yes I know it's not canon, I'm speculating)

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even if Trelane were a Q, I would prefer him to be a seperate character than The Q. There's only so far we can take this before small universe syndrome kicks in.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

No, actually they didn't.

It wasn't until the "New Era" that the Q became what they are usually known for.

19. ngc7293

ngc7293 Commander Red Shirt

I think Santa is actually a Q.... it would explain a lot of things....

[tune]He knows when you are sleeping, he knows when you are awake, he knows when you've been bad or good.......[/tune]

ahem, I still think Santa's a Q :D