NEMESIS STILL LOOKS GOOD!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by sovereign, Feb 10, 2014.

1. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

that's pretty late in the movie for it to "fall apart" for you.

2. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was the 3rd time I watched it, trying to soak it in with an open mind. Most of it works if you ignore the lame wedding scene, dune buggy scene, and rape scene.

But at the "heroic Data dies" scene I just couldn't muster any openmindedness toward the film anymore. I was done with it.

I blame Paramount for being a bunch of cheap motherfuckers. They thought the nerd crowd would be enough to make a profit on and didn't have to invest much in it.

3. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

They gambled and lost, pure and simple

4. mendelin

mendelin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Totally agree.
    I still can't understand why cheap and naive TOS-movies (II - VI) were much better than TNG-movies.

Perhaps, it's a matter of good screenwriters and screenplays. Basicly, the idea of "Generations" was good, but it was very bad implemented. I mean the initial idea of two crews in the battle. But this idea degenerated into "two captains against one villain" and the death of one captain as "something special".
    Yes, TOS-movies weren't perfect, but they were not so cynical.

I just found an interview with Brent Spiner.

So, yes, very rude and very cynical. Moreover, it's unprofessional to use the death as the last chance to get an emotional response from your audience.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  5. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Didn't even work for me. I had absolutely no emotional response to Data's death.

We weren't talking about which shots were better, we were talking about which ones looked like video games. "Video gamey" says to me "obviously computer generated." No, the TWOK's model FX don't look like they came out of a video game.

6. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

His death really had no meaning. The whole B4-thing ruined that story element.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Haha, seriously? Unprofessional?

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I dont have anything new to say really..I just reread some of this thread after my last post. Everyone has their personal opinion that's fine, can't fight it, but I dont think it's arguable that NEM was a bigger $80 million movie than any other previous Trek movie aside from TMP. I also have disproved the notion that no one liked the movie, citing the cinemascore, the decent imdb rating, and especially the then record sales on video. LOTS of people liked it.

RAMA

9. Hober Mallow

Well, video sales aren't really an indication of what fans liked. Trek fans are funny in that they'll bitch about something but still feel obligated to watch it four hundred times.

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

On the contrary, unlike movie grosses or ticket sales, a video disc/tape sale is a single purchase, and usually a good indicator of how popular a particular movie is because it means people want to rewatch it. NEM sold in the low millions.

11. mendelin

mendelin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The keywords there were "last chance".
    Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against killing main characters, if it is really necessary for plot development.
    For example, Spock's death in ST II was really meaningfull for entire story. The message of the movie was "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one". Spock's self-sacrifice was the main supporting point of this idea.

As for Generations and Nemesis, I read some interviews with Rick Berman. He said, that in Generations they decided "it would be cool to kill Kirk". They decide to use death only to be cool. That's unprofessional, IMO.

So, here is a quote:
    So, may be I get it wrong, but they came to this idea without any plot context.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

There are tons of people out there who buy discs just for the sake of buying discs. I've got about five-hundred total and haven't watched half of them. They collect dust.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ive never heard of such a person, and I doubt 3 million of them bought NEM discs.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I used to work with a guy who had 4,000 DVD's (I shit you not), he said he was buying them to watch when he retired. He was in his early-50's. If he kept up the pace he'd be in the neighborhood of 6-7,000 now. :lol:

I don't think its a very good film and I have three copies of it. The original DVD, the special edition DVD and the Blu-ray. :shrug:

Trek fans seem to be more willing to buy things that are "Star Trek" whether they like them or not.

15. Hober Mallow

In the "Why is Nemesis Unpopular?' thread, 54 people voted "Nemesis" a "terrible" film. I'm willing to bet every single one of them (other than myself) owns the film on DVD and/or bluray.

16. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Nemesis is the only Trek film that I ever waited to go into the $5 bin before buying.

17. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

IMHO of the TNG movies Nemesis looks the worst and has the lowest production values especially when pitted against other movies of its era which were loaded with CGI and cost 2-3x more (the tentpoles and franchises had begun) whereas the older TNG movies were equal to other movies of the same time in terms of production values and visual effects because CGI had not taken off at that point.

CGI made the new tentpoles cost a fortune and that was not possible for prime Trek, it was much too expensive to do.

On top of that they had to pay Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner a large amount of money from a small budget and then there is the problem of the movie sucking and a dire script ! No director could have saved that script.

18. JarodRussell

That statement is certainly false. In a film production, you do whatever is cheaper and safer. There is a mix of CGI and model work, for example the ship crash is done using physical models and CGI enhancements, because it was easier and cheaper to do that complex crash with models. But everything else was cheaper and easier to do with CG models. Especially when you look at the complex lighting and wild maneuvers during the space battles, stuff that would be very hard to do (a.k.a. very expensive) on a motion control rig with 10 ft long models.

19. Hober Mallow

I don't think this is true at all. The Trek films have always been cost conscious, except maybe TMP. FX have always felt more limited, action set-pieces less ambitious than other Hollywood action films of the time. The scope and sheer number of FX in Star Wars in the 70s was far beyond any of the Trek films of the 80s. With the exception of TMP (and Abrams' Trek) the Trek films have always felt pretty "second-tier," like it never got over its low-budget TV roots.

Totally agree.

20. JarodRussell

Abramstrek still does. Compared to the Star Wars prequels, the superhero movies, Avatar, Lord of the Rings, etc... those films are extremely small scale and low budget.

The same difference between First Contact and... Independence Day, for example.