Which Captain Would you like to Serve Under?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain MAJ, May 10, 2010.

?

Which Captain would you like to serve under?

1. James T. Kirk

14.3%
  2. Spock

2.9%
  3. Christopher Pike

2.9%
  4. Jean-Luc Picard

32.9%
  5. Benjamin Sisko

31.4%
  6. Kathryn Janeway

10.0%
  7. Jonathan Archer

5.7%
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

How about alien captains?

2. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

MLB--Any particular ones you're interested in hearing opinions on?

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

James T. Motherf'in' Kirk. Check his birth certificate, that's his actual name.

Seriously, though, Nerys, sexist? Sounds like you're buying into the silly stereotype of Kirk as the guy who bedded thousands of green aliens in a three year show. Where's the actual evidence? "I've already got a female to worry about. Her name is Enterprise." That guy was all duty. There are only three episodes that I can think of that even broach the topic of relations between him and his crew - Dagger of the Mind and Mirror, Mirror. In DOTM, he's not pursuing the leading lass, it's her mechanizations that put him under the influence of the mind control ray, and even in the end, he overcomes the brainwashing of his own accord and willpower without having to rely on a plot device to free him of the ravages of the Neural Neutralizer. In the other episode, Kirk jokes that he thinks that he and (normal universe) Marlena 'could be friends', which more of a sly reference to what happened in the mirror universe than a statement of actual intent.

The third episode is the one I quoted above, The Naked Time - Kirk's got something of a fancy for Janice Rand, it seems, but it's immediately tempered by his sense of duty. 'No hand to hold, no beach to walk on...' etc. The show specifically demonstrates that Kirk's attraction to females under his command is nullified by his role as Captain, and I find it hard to label him as sexist given the clear evidence otherwise. He certainly wasn't afraid to assign landing party duties to females alongside the male crewmembers, even if they occassionally got turned into giant sugar cubes and crushed in an alien fist.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Wow I'm shocked Sisko is neck and neck..he's not really ranked that high in popularity polls. He's also the captain from "In the Pale Moonlight" and his relationship with the wormhole aliens and the Bajoran religion would lead me not to trust him very much. Early in his appearance on the show it was a different issue...the Borg and loss of his wife that made him suspect..since he treated a fellow officer rather poorly about it. He also sulked about his command of DS9! Yeah, not really a good first choice.

I'd have to choose Picard...he has the right balance of leadership skills, diplomacy, and military know-how to get the job done. He also has a finely honed sense of morality and justice..not above breaking the rules if necessary, but he doesn't flaunt them like Kirk.

RAMA

5. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

I voted for Sisko. He has authority, but it seems to me, superior or no, he is open for and interessted in his crews thoughts, worries and lifes....and one could even argue with him. He is one, who would try everything in his power to help a crew member and not abandom one, also when just a "low" officer. Also I think he would be very fair.

TerokNor

6. Elzie

Elzie Lieutenant Red Shirt

I voted for Picard. probably because...

I can't really say anything about Pike, there's only that 1 ep with him. Neither have I seen enough Spock as the real captain (of course he did have the command from time to time).

i don't watch ENT

Janeway? No way. (not that I've seen much of her. But it was enough.)

It's hard to say about Sisko. I've seen only some episodes on DS9. I'd like to see more, but I can't...:(
    I guess he's okay...

I like Kirk, but...I wouldn't want to be one of those security men on his ship... The others do stay alive, but...I don't know.

And if nothing else, Picard seems like you can trust him. Of course there's lot more, but I can't really come up with anything right now...it's about 2am...

7. Nerys Ghemor

RAMA--In the Pale Moonlight is a demerit against Sisko, but very much an aberration. As far as his relationship with Bajor, and his faith, I do not think it is fair to hold his heritage, or what eventually becomes his religion, against him.

As to Picard, I do not agree about his sense of "morality and justice." He is good at being a stickler to regulations, but NOT very good about considering the lives that he is impacting...recognizing, in other words, situations where a form of civil disobedience is the only moral answer. This man has stood by and allowed WORLDS to be destroyed...and I'm not even talking about when he was Locutus of Borg. And again, I also find him intolerant and would be extremely distrustful of his ability to deal with a human with views different than his.

8. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    I went with 'The Sisko'. :)

He has all of the best of Kirk and Picard rolled into one deep, driven officer. Kirk is the captain I would've loved to serve under when i was younger, maybe as an admiral I would love to have a Picard on my staff....

But now I would feel the most confident in Sisko, he was bad ass when he needed to be and accessible when you needed him to be. Just look at the 'Seige of Ar-558'. A classic episode I would cite to why I would serve with him.

Vons

9. Kai Winn

Kai Winn Captain Captain

janeway or archer of course. you forgot jellico in your poll. he's got a lot of fans despite riker satisfyingly explaining why he's a dreadful captain. divine sisko isn't far better.

10. Guardian Bob

Guardian Bob Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would say Archer, because of the ship, but also because they were one of the first, so most of what they explore is new!

Also, not Kirk because I don't want to die.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Martok

Gul Macet

Charvanek (the Romulan Commander from "The Enterprise Incident")

Klag (from "A Matter Of Honor" and now the ST:Klingon Empire novels)

12. caisson2delta

caisson2delta Captain Captain

If serving with a particular captain meant during the era in which they were captain, I would have to choose Archer. The simple reason for this is that they were the first ones to get "out there" and do some serious exploring of the unknown, for the first time. That, to me, would've been memorable. Picard would be a close second, for similar reasons.

If I was looking to get into a fight, then I'd have chosen Sisko, then Jellico, and then Kirk.

13. Nerys Ghemor

I'm not as familiar with Charvanek or Klag, though I can say I would not be comfortable serving on a Klingon ship, regardless of who was commanding it. I do not believe I could integrate myself well in that culture.

Charvanek...I know little of her, but maybe.

Gul Macet--while obviously we don't get much of a read on him from the show, I do think the fact that he was willing to go for a solution that ended the war despite all sorts of provocation by Central Command against the Federation and all sorts of other provocation from Picard's naivete and arrogance, suggests he might well be a commander I could respect. He had the respect of his crew...yet he clearly had not put so much FEAR into them that Daro felt like he couldn't try to reach out to O'Brien. Again, hard to tell--but I think it might work, and that I could trust him to make decisions and to treat his people justly.

14. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Voted for the Sisko, for pretty much the same reasons as the others.

-Competent administrator; running the station is kinda like being a first officer for a starship on the next order of magnitute in terms of balancing resources, running procedures, managing disputes. I'd like to see the other captains having to deal with that kind of work day in day out.
    -Capable ship commander; his captaincy of the Defiant and Sau Paulo during the Dominion War are a testament to this.
    -Tactician; one of the key planners on Admiral Ross' staff during the same war.
    -Caring commander of crew; he's a lot more involved in the people under his command, taking part in crew celebrations, cultivating his officers (Nog and Worf) etc. His experience as being a father are probably part of this.

15. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Picard or Riker

16. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Archer: Because then I'd be on the same ship with Trip.

And yes. I am obsessed. :p

17. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

I think, if this were a few years back, Picard would likely win hands down, but TNG has a tendency to suffer from not aging as well.

The crew viewed from today's standards might seem a bit stuffy and distant.

DS9 and Enterprise and Voyager were able to use more "modern" terms and express themselves in a more unrestricted way which might make some fans feel more comfortable.

Just psychobable theory anyways...

18. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Captain Riker of the USS Titan. Failing that, Picard without a doubt, because then I'd still be serving with Riker. He's the sort of guy I'd trust to lead me out of any situation.

19. walker935

walker935 Guest

I also voted for Sisko. He's no-nonsense yet approachable. I respect his character more as I think it's more challenging to be in charge of a station like DS9 than a starship.

20. Klingon Empire

Klingon Empire Captain Captain

Voted for Sisko. He is approachable and yet Respectable.