STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

$25 million was not a huge budget in '91. I think TWOK's budget was somewhere in the range of $12-15 million, also not a huge budget for '82.

Other than TMP, most of the TOS and TNG movies had relatively middle-of-the-road budgets for their times.

2. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

What I am saying is the expectation of the general audience of a scifi/fantasy movie's FX has changed drastically, and doing a Trek movie on the cheap isn't going to fly like it did 20-30 years ago. Heck, it didn't fly 10 years ago when BermanTrek released NEM around the same time as LotR.

It will come off as poor movie quality.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Not enough to stop me zoning out. (Not that I've seen "Fast and Furious 6", nor the previous five. The trailers were enough for me to decide it wasn't my kind of film genre. That and having once been dragged to "xXx".)

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The international media was extremely excited. Reflected by our high box office. Perhaps the US media was less excited because they would have faced "Spoiler!" backlash if they had have talked about STiD too much. It was a premiering film making news Down Under but the US media chose not to talk about it too much on home soil? Perhaps?

Was US media really less excited by STiD than other films of its ilk?

5. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

actually, looking at recent sci-fi movie budgets maybe you're right:eek:

kind of sad though, if true.

6. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

In an era of spiralling 150-200 million dollar budgets, an el cheapo 60 million movie like Nemesis really is NOT gonna cut it

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the interviews with Cumberbatch were rather crappy because of it and probably would've been more interesting if he could've actually discussed the character. Pure idle speculation though, I don't know if it would've made a difference I just think it might have.

8. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

9. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

Star Trek ID was rescheduled to open on the 26th wide down here!

10. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I once worked for a SubContract Assembly house for Electronics PCBA.

The owner got a salary, and with that Salary purchased the Building the Company operates in, purchased the Machines the Company uses to manuafacture the Product, and rents the Building and the machines to the Company. Even when the company was losing money horribly, the owner was making out like a bandit, and he could charge whatever rent he wanted for the building and machines, if the company started to make too much money and he needed to have it make less so the employees couldn't grumble about wantintg bonuses.

So, yea, I'm sure the movie business operates in much the same style. Artificially inflate the budgets by over-charging yourself for renting stuff to the movie you have provided a budget for. Plus any Producty placements revenue isn't deducted out of the budget, and isn't included in the Box Office revenue numbers.

12. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

STID has left the nearest AMC theater to me but continues strong at the nearest Regal theater with as many as four showings per day, even on weekdays.

Perhaps interestingly, The above noted AMC is located within a more densely populated area closer to downtown while the Regal is within an outlying, rural setting.

13. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Shooting sometime in 2014 but still going for a summer 2016 release may make sense. But if 2016 is the date, why rush into it, because the 2015 calendar already looks pretty crowded with big name movies. The Movie Insider has these 2015 releases listed:
    -- Summer: Avengers 2, Justice League, Terminator 5, Independence Day 2, and another Pirates of the Caribbean movie.
    -- Winter: Finding Dory (it's a sequel to Finding Nemo), a Hunger Games sequel, a James Bond movie, and Ant-Man.
    -- Also listed for 2015: a Star Wars movie, Avatar 2, a Batman movie, and Prometheus 2.

Star Wars and Avatar 2 will be the 800-pound gorillas in the room. One will probably come out in the summer and the other in the winter. Both should easily do $500 million domestically. Ant-Man and Justice League are new, and except for the Terminator movies and Prometheus, the rest the franchises above have cracked the $300 million mark domestically in previous releases. Really can't see ST3 getting fair due with competition like that. Fiftieth anniversary or not, 2016 seems like the better year.

STID will come in at around $225, domestically. Of the 26 summer releases (May, June, July) from 2009 to 2013 that grossed at least $200 million domestically, ST09 ranks 16, and STID ranks 23.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

From a financial aspect it wouldn't. That's money that will be tied up for 18-24 months not doing anything other than racking up interest the studio will have to pay back.

15. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, from the financial aspect, that makes sense. Could be Quinto is just wrong about ST3, especially if Abrams will direct it. I've read SW is to start shooting in 2014. If he's to direct ST3, as the Quinto article insinuates, Abrams can't be in two places at once.

My point was if they indeed shoot it in 2014 for whatever reason, a 2015 release would throw the movie out there into some extremely harsh competition. The SW publicity alone would overwhelm it. Better to wait to 2016 based on that, at least.

I'd discount what Quinto said about shooting in 2014, though what he says about moving forward on a faster track makes sense in the context of the four year gap between ST09 and STID. We don't need ST3 in 2017, that's for sure.

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

nuSTIII will release sometime in 2016 and the marketing will include the "50th Anniversary of Star Trek" somewhere.

17. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I believe Quinto is just bluffing. There is no way Trek 3 is shooting in 2014 with JJ as the director.

no way.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Weekend actual: $686,181 for $224,360,905 so far.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

There are plenty of ways. Like 365 of them.

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if the next movie shoots next year and it's directed by J.J. Abrams, but I'm expecting it to shoot in 2015 with a new director at the helm.