STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Hard to say. Could the next one face less competition and have a higher chance of being a big blockbuster, or should Paramount aim for a calmer month and take a chance at being top dog there ? Hummm...

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

May is probably the best time, yes. The last two JJTrek movies have successfully launched in May.

3. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I feel as though I've done my part. I've seen the movie three times. I may consider going again. Of course, I live in Australia, so I often feel my voice is not counted when it comes to Star Trek. I was probably one of the twenty people who watched Enterprise here, when they shoved it in the 12am death slot on TV. A lot of Aussie fans just resorted to pirating the episodes, because they relegated all the shows to the graveyard shift on TV, the time zone where you get adult chat lines advertised.

I'm not sure how much of the international gross makes it to the studio, either.

It's made $13,838,405 here. According to Box office Mojo.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Although with Disney ramping up production on an endless stream of Star Wars movies (historically released in May), Paramount may not want to directly face the competition.

5. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I've seen it four times on the IMAX since release which is £50! Think that's enough for me, not to mention the people I've dragged along to see it who have enjoyed it greatly.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

This. If Disney starts releasing Star Wars movies every May, Paramount will have to find another month that works for Trek.

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Sure. There's no way in hell that Trek can hold against Wars.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Even if they go: main episode, spin-off, main episode, spin-off, etc., I find it hard to believe Disney can make it an annual event.

Biennial is definitely possible though. So Paramount would just have to put Trek out in the off years.

9. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what happened with the TOS and SW movies in the 1980s, wasn't it?

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

More or less, yeah.

You had:

ANH 77
    Nothing 78
    TMP 79
    ESB 80
    Nothing 81
    TWOK 82
    ROTJ 83
    TSFS 84

So just going basing from that, the spin-offs would go in the two empty years. Or that's what I was trying to go for.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

No other major studio is going to abandon their May release schedules in years to come because Disney is making Star Wars movies.

12. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But Star Trek and Star Wars are about as direct competition as you can get...

It's simply a bad idea to pit them against each other.

13. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

It doesn't help that our dollar has dropped so sharply! Bit sad that The Hangover overtook Star Trek's gross here in half the time.

Ah, I remember the late nights watching Star Trek. DS9 and Voyager were on at 11pm, years behind the US. Enterprise's pilot aired on a Saturday night and was artificially split into two parts, then was buried at midnight.

14. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Hey. HEY!!! Ten minutes. What'd dya mean ten? It was at least 30...ok 20. :lol:

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I should point out that despite what you call "the death slot", all the spin-off series - TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT - regularly won their timeslots for the Nine Network, which is really all that advertisers care about: a guaranteed maximum audience.

And many of us bought them on sell-thru video (up through Season One of ENT, anyway, because Paramount Home Video's UK division decided against doing the masters for video format's of ENT Seasons 2-4, preferring to wait for DVD - and we had to use the UK masters and package designs) or rented them from video shops.

And it's not our peak movie-watching season, either!

16. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I did my part last night as I paid full pop for a 3D IMAX showing (second viewing overall--best I can manage with my schedule and kids). Will probably catch it one more time before it leaves the cinemas altogether but not in IMAX (no time between now and next week when Man of Steel dislodges Trek from there).

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

All I remember is the endless phone sex ads and falling asleep in front of Enterprise only to be woken up by the theme music at the end. And stupid me thought it was boring! It was a whole different show when I took my viewing into my own hands and fuck you'd the tv stations.

And yeah I have since bought it on dvd, three times in fact as gifts.

That was the last show I tried to watch on commercial television.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

I doubt it.

Every big action movie released in May and June is targeting the same audience in the U.S. - folks who are particularly "skiffy geeks" don't represent much of a factor.

A buddy comedy or a rom-com or even an animated feature might represent counter-scheduling, but as far as action blockbusters are concerned Star Wars would be no more or less a concern than Fast And Furious 9.

Outside the U.S., of course, Paramount pursues an entirely different, staggered release schedule.

19. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can't seriously believe that?

All the hype will be about Star Wars, Trek will be completely forgotten/ignored by the mainstream and no amount of marketing dollars will make a difference.

Hell how many ST:ID reviews/interviews with Abrams was Star Wars brought up somehow? A fair few. A lot of reviews seemed to see Trek 2 as a warm-up for Star Wars VII.

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Unless Paramount pushes the next Star Trek film into high gear, it won't be premiering against the publicity machine that will be Abram's Star Wars film, which has a 2015 release date. It will be facing off against one of the side-story movies, assuming Disney goes forward with those and makes their 2016 release date. So, the hype won't be as much of a problem.