STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sounds good. Sorry for the intrusion.

2. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh no intrusion at all! This is something that folks talked about before the film came out, and it only came back with a vengeance with the Lindelhof (sp?) interview.

3. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Yeah, it's the Star Trek I dream about. :adore:

Aw, come on. There's nothing wrong about appreciating the human body.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I think I first became a science fiction film buff watching the captivating Altaira on "Forbidden Planet" when I was about age eight - and then, as a young teen, a TV presentation of "Barbarella" (in b/w) in the privacy of my bedroom. I saw almost as much female flesh on Jane Fonda as I did male flesh on John Phillip Law's Pygar.

Those movies just wouldn't have been the same if the characters were all in bulky neck-to-knee costumes. Nor as memorable/enlightening.

Sorry, now I've quite forgotten why scenes of Gaila, Carol and Kirk in underwear are so... eh?

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Look, just to remind people who we're arguing about - look at Eve (yes, I'm serious).

That young woman has the fortune to be physically attractive by Hollywood standards, and of course she wouldn't be successful in commercial movies if she weren't.

That said, there is nothing "anorexic" about her in the least - that's plain hysteria. She looks to have a healthy amount of body fat for a young person. If you think you can count her ribs here you're imagining things:

[​IMG]

No, it's not possible for everyone to look like that no matter how hard they try - I could never have looked like Chris Pine, either. Both cases are matters of heredity, not how much willingness to abuse one's health in the pursuit of an unrealistic goal one may or may not possess.

6. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Talk about misguided rage. If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at parents who don't teach their daughters not to tie their sense of self-worth to their body image.

7. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    If even a fraction of this crap is what's really in the movie, I won't even watch it when it eventually comes on TV. The last one was bad enough.

This is crap to the infinite power. Why can't Abrams come up with an original story? Why does he need to plagiarize (oops, "re-imagine") what far better storytellers and artists have already done?

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh. Skip it then, because it's ALL TRUE (AGGGHHH!). Just don't post diatribes about what's wrong with a movie you haven't seen, and everything will work out even.

It's a really good Star Trek movie. TWOK may be better - I haven't decided - but it's the only one.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why didn't Roddenberry, Bennett and Berman create new space operas instead of constantly reusing Trek?

Oops, quoted wrong post.

10. BillJ

I watched TWOK last night and the two are such different films I'm not sure it's fair to compare.

They both simply rock the house. :techman:

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

By "better storytellers," you mean Nick Meyer--the guy who "re-imagined" Melville, Dickens, and Shakespeare.

12. Belz...

I think you're missing out on some pretty good Trek. But you have to be A) open-minded about the movie being different than previous Trek, which is actually not a bad thing, because I hate it when things get stale and the statu quo is untouchable, which is why Vulcan's destruction is such a good idea.

And B) Learn to live with the fact that movies have mistakes and inconsistencies. I mean, I'd like nothing more than all movies and books and video games to have perfect storytelling with no errors, but guess what ? Only reality's like that, and we're still not happy with it. So I enjoy it when movies are better scripted or the people involved make extra effort to get the details right, but I'm okay with movies that aren't perfect if they are entertaining.

Of course, then I nitpick because I like to do that, but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

And by the way, spoiling the entire movie in text form usually sounds a lot worse than the finished product.

13. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    FFS, I am sick and tired of never being allowed to criticize the Abrams crap without getting jumped on.

I am perfectly free to criticize what I see in trailers, clips, or whatever else gets posted online. There are some things that don't require seeing the whole damn movie to know I hate it.

I did eventually see the first Abrams movie. And I thought it was every bit as dumb as it looked like it would be. As for this... it's like redoing Planet of the Apes. There was nothing wrong with the original. As for Shakespeare... I do prefer my Shakespeare as traditional as possible, but Classic Star Trek did its nods to Shakespeare quite well.

Abrams doesn't appear to know how to do nods. He takes a sledgehammer and wrecking crew and fits the pieces back together haphazardly and with a distinct lack of respect for the original material.

I'm unsubscribing to this thread now, so don't bother flaming and trolling me. Just remember - there are probably aspects of Trek that I love and you don't. And you're just as entitled to think what I like is crap.

14. Belz...

Jumped on ? What are you talking about ? I was trying to give you some advice about this movie. Perhaps you read more into my post than I intended ?

Well of course if you go in with a made-up mind it'll suck. Which is why my point A is there.

Considering that you seem to be in the minority, I'd say he knows what he's doing. And I'd still say that even if I hated it.

I did nothing of the sort. How could you possibly interpret my post as trolling or flaming is beyond me.

EDIT: Gah ! Not only does she unsubscribe, ensuring that her rant can't be challenged, but I can't even PM people yet and clear thing up with her. :(

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wish more people would take this to heart.

16. BillJ

But if you're unwilling to have your views challenged, why post on a message board to begin with?

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Challenged? Do you think this is some sort of game where we keep score of who wins and loses? A novel concept I come here on a discussion board... to discuss Star Trek.

It's a pity so many seem to be personally invested in trying to force others to adopt their opinions.

18. BillJ

I think you misunderstand. I come here because I LIKE to see different viewpoints than my own. I want my views of Trek challenged. If we all thought the same way, there'd be little reason to come here.

19. Belz...

Speaking of, why are you so emotional, here ? Again, we're just discussing a fictional show. No need to get excited. Timewalker's the one who felt attacked for no reason. I, personally, am quite happy that people have different opinions. Otherwise there'd be no progress.

But BillJ is right: you participate in discussions, your views will be disagreed with and your claims challenged. It's not a matter of winning (not for everyone, anyway), but about the free exchange of ideas.

20. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

No one was flaming or trolling you but if you feel that's the case anywhere on the board please use the "notify moderator" button on the post in question. Don't accuse others of flaming or trolling and don't answer back in kind because that will invariably escalate the situation or derail the thread. That said, I hope you reconsider because Belz was just having a normal conversation with you.