Jokes of Canon Violation because of XI?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Blue_Trek, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Ever since the movie came out the amount of Avatars with "Canon Violation"
    has increased exponentially, are you guys mocking the people who scream "Canon Violation". Or are you serious about it. Just curious.

Because if 99% are mocking and making fun of people who say that, I guess your trying to run them out of this Forum, as they must feel harassed, by seeing all these Avatars.

I think many of them are awesome and very funny, so I like them.

I don't have any issue at all with them, I just want to hear from people that are using those types of Avatars and why. Why and when did you switch it to that?

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

They are, I believe, exactly as you suggest - a deliberate attempt to poke fun at those people who are overreacting to the changes made in the new film that don't fit exactly with the original universe continuity.

As far as I am concerned, the Star Trek I've watched since I was a kid still exists. JJ Abrams didn't take it away. TNG's "Parallels" makes clear that an infinite number of parallel universes exist. This is, to me, akin to the regular Earth-616 Marvel Universe and the Ultimate universe just with overall less differences.

Some of the threads here are just nonsensical. This movie has received overwhelmingly positive reviews, and has performed exceptionally well at the box office. Talking about fans "saving" the script and complaints that this movie has somehow "erased" all previous Star Trek from existence are absurd. That's what these avatars are getting at.

3. Qonos

Qonos Captain Captain

Actually you figured it out dammit...

We're running a little game.

You see you have to figure out who is serious and who is joking by several diffferent variables...

Posting style
    posting history
    your personal opinion on whether the person like orange marmalade or not.

put your guesses into a list and post them on this board.

The first one who gets them all correctly guessed gets......... Bragging rights.

Heh.

4. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Exactly. It's just meant to be fun. I don't see how anyone could seriously perceive the images as harassing. I'm reminded of the few people who to this day constantly complain about the whole Sombrero thing. Some people just can't let others have a litte fun. :rolleyes:

6. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I did it because everyone else was doing it, and I bow to peer pressure when it isn't something that will hurt anyone. :bolian:

7. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes.

8. I'm sorry, but people screaming about Continuity Violations are hilarious. This movie is beloved, re-introduced Star Trek to the mainstream, there are quite a few legit criticisms (dont get me started on that whole dumb ice planet sequence), but the "CANON GOT VIOLATED!!!" folks are the height of idiocy, and are a complete picture of everything that is wrong with Star Trek fandom and everything that made Star Trek a "nerds only" club.

They wasted at least 30 minutes of screentime explaining how continuity changed, and they sure as hell didn't do that for "casual viewers", they did that for YOU, the THAT VIOLATES CANON~! folks.

Frankly they shouldn't have wasted the time, and just gone straight reboot.

9. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm just jumping on the bandwagon. I don't care much about the movie's supposed "canon violation" :)

10. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just wanted to be cool. :(

11. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This thread is a canon violation.

12. erebus

erebus Commander

profile pending deletion request 28/5/2009
    i would say that if there was any mocking it was mutual and good natured. No ones trying to run anybody out of anything, we are just agreeing to disagree like mature adults except with funny pictures because "theres no the point in being a grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes". :lol: (yet ironically sometimes these pictures may also convey a subtle quite mature point in the best traditions of satirical pictures).

But at the end of the day i'm sure we are all friends here. I'd say, you can't be a star trek fan without absorbing at least some of the inclusive and individualistic attitude portrayed in star trek as well.

And we love to argue about trek, so what would be the point of driving away an honourable and ultimately instructive opponent as the Klingons might say.

13. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

I wish Dr. Mc Coy would violate my canon. :(

14. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

They... they told me if I did it... I'd be one of the cool kids...

15. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The ultimate avatar would be Robau wearing a sombrero while violating a canon.

16. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

I took it mainly as a joke intended to lighten the mood. But yes, it is in response to some of the more heated comments from the canonistas.

Religions have canon. This is entertainment.

17. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

... and shouting THE WOMEN!!! ;)

18. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Thus pissing off three wings of the anti-fun brigade in one fell swoop!

And before anyone says it....I knew you were going to say that.

:D

19. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I've been managing to resist saying that...

20. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Its more aimed at the kind of people who will whine about Kirk being unable to drive on that gangster planet but can drive in this film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.