tabletop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Obiwansolo18, May 2, 2013.

1. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Let us know how it goes!

Hubby picked up "Stone Age" last week. It is a worker placement game that is fun with 2 players and great with 4! It is actually giving "Lords of Waterdeep" a run for its money as my current favourite game.

2. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I've only played that once and I didn't have the best experience due to a couple of factors -

1. Two of the guys had played it before while me and my friend were new to it. The guy who owned the game was a bit of an alpha-gamer and if me or my friend wanted to look up something in the rules he actually wouldn't give us the rules, so he had to stop the game and look through the rules himself so he could explain it to us.

2. This dragged the game out a bit, and we had time constraints already so we didn't actually get to play the game to completion so of course we didn't get the full experience.

Yeah, I think Fluxx is more chaotic than Munchkin but they're both games where things can change quickly. I don't really like Fluxx.

By the way, if you're looking to get into heavier board games then Resistance won't seem pricey at all.

If you're into comics then look into Legendary. It's probably a bit pricier than you're looking for at the moment but it's so much fun and you get so much play out of it.

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, unfortunately people like this exist. My game were with my best friends and we all played for the first time. The owner of the game just bought and had read the manual the day before so he could explain the rules.. when we stumbled we would just look them up and played on.

I have a guy in my gaming group who is a very sore loser, mainly because he believes he's a better gamer than anyone so when his plan doesn't work out he gets mad and blames everyone else but him.

Case in point "Ticket to Ride" (another awesome game, very recommended). He had built this huge line that was incomplete but would have won him the game if he had completed it. It's been a while but one of the conditions when the game ends is when one of the players runs out of stuff to put on the map which happened when his girlfriend didn't have any trains so the game ended and we went on counting the score (he didn't win obviously).

He went all hyper childish accusing her of hiding her markers so he couldn't see and gauge when the game would end etcblabla.. i was so close to putting him in his place and leaving gaming night because if there's one thing i can't stand it's a bad loser. I play for the fun of it, being with friends, talking smack and just having a good time.. if i win it's awesome but if i don't no big deal (might grumble if i lose due to bad luck or almost win but that passes quickly).

There are games where one of the core mechanics is to fuck up other people's plans such as Smash Up which i will never play with him.

4. trekkiebaggio

Yeah, I'm the same as you. I try to win but the main reason I game is to hang out with my friends. If I lose then oh well, there's always another game.

I only play regularly with a couple of good mates and one of them is a pretty bad loser. He used to be the type where if he got to a point where he thought he couldn't win (note I said thought) he'd ruin the game for everyone, like in Catan he'd just offer stupid trades. We actually banned him from Catan for a long time after that, but he's better now.

He's still pretty bad at handling losing though, I think it's because he tries to put a lot of effort into thinking about a strategy so when it doesn't come off it's like a lot of energy has been wasted. I generally don't like to put too much thought into things because I want to relax when I play games and I hate games that feel like work!

5. FPAlpha

Which is why i stay away from huge games like Twillight Imperium or Axis & Allies because they tend to get so complicated with many moving parts and take ages to play out (they're still good games though).

I really love smaller games nowadays that can be played in 2-3 hours max or card based games like Smash Up that are comparatively cheap but offer great fun.

Once in a while you might want to set aside a day to play a big game but usually it's better to play 2-3 different games for variety.

6. trekkiebaggio

Yeah, sometimes it's tempting to play a game two or three times in a row because it's already set up. We split buying board games so I've ended up with mostly card games in my collection. I think Robinson Crusoe will be my next purchase, I've heard many good things about it.

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks. One of the friends I play with in the group mentioned the similarities, but I still wanted to check. Been trying to be careful in not choosing any overlaps in the games we may be playing since we tend to try to fit as many games as we can into our session. It would suck having too many games that are similar.

Fortunately, our group is pretty laid back, and playing something like Cards Against Humanity gives us a pretty good gauge of where we stand in terms of personality, and I don't think we're going to run into any game-ruining people.

And wow, Alpha, that seems real petty of him. His girlfriend must have been humiliated. Let me guess. They were no longer together after that?

8. FPAlpha

They've recently married and no one who has seen them together in such moments understands it, especially her (she's smart, has a very good job and decent looking).

But that's another topic.

9. Owain Taggart

I so love Amazon! I ordered via Amazon.ca Monday night and had a package waiting for me today. This with free shipping via post. They've been advertising Prime a lot lately as it's a new feature, but I don't really see the point of it with it already so quick. What are they going to do? Beam it to my doorstep? :lol:

10. trekkiebaggio

Yeah they're usually ahead of their shipping estimates.

What did you order?

11. Owain Taggart

King of Tokyo and Coup. Looking forward to both of them!

12. trekkiebaggio

Cool, King of Tokyo is a blast! I'm seriously considering ordering Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on a Cursed Island.

13. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm super competitive in games like your friend. I enjoy putting a lot of thought and energy into my turns. I love it when a complex strategy comes together and I win. But you know what's even more fun than winning? Losing.

If you win there's nothing to learn from the game. However, if you lose, you were clearly outplayed and outsmarted. Your strategy came up short. Now you're able to analyze the game, figure out your mistakes, and do better next time. Losing is awesome. If you're competitive than you want to be good and you want to keep getting better. The only way to improve is to lose to a better player. Competitive people should want to play against people who will beat them.

14. Owain Taggart

That's a great attitude to have, Kelthaz! More people need to think like that :)

15. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, I know. I'm the best at great attitudes.

16. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Captain Captain

Wooho, board gamers on Trekbbs. This is my day :)

I actually started the hobby through Munchkin (which I now find repetitive and the jokes quickly ran out), and then jumped into the deep with Battlestar Galactica (which is probably the best thematic game ever).

These days I have a 6 bookshelves full of board games, (about 50-60 games) and I'm about to become a published game designer this year!

If you have a little patience to learn something more than 2 sentences long, there is probably a game for every taste. From coop to competitive, from low interaction to active fighting, it's all there.

As for the attitude, I'm probably the same as Kelthaz. I'm very eager (and evil) to win, but if I lose, I mainly try and focus on what went wrong - and lay the blame at my own feet.

Ooo let's talk more games! Have you tried any Star Trek board games you liked?

17. trekkiebaggio

Welcome to the thread! I feel the same way about Muchkin.

I have Star Trek Deck Building: The Original Series and TNG: The Next Phase version of the same game. I've only played TOS so far though. The rulebook is pretty bad and it leaves a lot of ambiguity but after about four plays I have the hang of it now and I really enjoy it. Obviously as a Trekkie the theme stands out for me and my aim is to try and get Kirk, Spock and Bones into my hand at the same time but it's a pretty good take on the deck-building genre. One thing I particularly like is that the starting cards can actually be used for useful things rather than having basic abilities that are only useful at the beginning of the game.

I have Star Trek: Expeditions as well which is okay but it's not great. I haven't played it that often to be honest, it's not one that really grabbed me.

Star Trek Scene It is obviously a Scene It game so you know what you're getting with that. It's cool but I don't get to play it that often because I don't know anyone who likes Trek as much as me so they just know I'm always going to win.

I'm looking to save up to get Star Trek: Fleet Captains because that's been described as "Star Trek in a box" by Tom Vasel, and it looks damn cool.

18. Owain Taggart

Speaking of Trek board games, I had one that was rare enough that I never heard anyone talk of it anywhere. It was Star Trek: Game of the Galaxies. I don't think I had ever played it much, as we're not much of a board game family, and I never had many people I could play with as a result. But from what I remember, it had pretty unique gameplay.

Here's a link:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5284/star-trek-the-next-generation-game-of-the-galaxies

19. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

We actually got in a couple of games of Blasphemy. It was pretty fun. I made it as far as the scourging the first time and only as far as being spit on the second time around. Finding John the Baptist in a good mood can take a while however.

20. trekkiebaggio

I have Robinson Crusoe now, I've only played it twice but I really like it already. It's hard to grasp the rules but I think I'm just about there, and I can't wait to play it again!

I also bought Tales of the Arabian Nights, which has been reprinted recently, although I haven't had a chance to play that yet.