U.S.S. Curry and other ships from DS9

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Dukhat, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Are there any known pics of the actual filming model? EAS mentioned this spacedock unit I'd never noticed before. It appears next to the Enterprise in "11001001" and the footage was later recycled for "Remember Me." EAS also says it appeared with the Remmler array in "Starship Mine" although I couldn't spot it in the sceencaps.

"11001001" images

Pic 1
    Pic 2

2. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I believe there are some, but I'll have to dig to find them. Unicron, I do better understand your point now. :)

I personally liked Centaur and the two-nacelle Connie saucer the most. The latter was very FJ-esque. The Yeager was okay from a distance.

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Huh...never noticed that one before. Looks like it has cylindrical TOS nacelles on it - bussards lit up on it and all.

Is this original footage or HD remastered footage? The pic looks very high-res and clean to be NTSC, but I could be wrong. If it is the new remastered HD footage, then maybe it's some little throw-away CG thing they put in with the upgrading process and no physical model actually exists.

4. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    "Reading Rainbow" did a TNG special once, and it partly featured behind-the-scenes effects stuff.

As I recall, the little cylinders were made from disposable razors. I think they were meant to be workbee-style manipulator arms.

5. Unicron

It's the HD version, though the spacedock unit definitely existed in the original shots and isn't a modern addition. You can see it much more clearly in HD though. :) EAS has a picture of the physical model.

6. CharlieZardoz

CharlieZardoz Lieutenant Red Shirt

I remember a documentary back in the day on tv which was about filming special effects for TNG and they showed that very tugboat the guy picked it up and showed that it was made from disposable razors and a milk carton! XD

And no I have no idea what show it was as I was 5! lol

7. CharlieZardoz

Ok Ill buy that explanation. However I can't help but feel that these classes (Merced, Hokule'a, Renaissance, etc) were probably in some ways very specialized or at least were never produced to as large a degree as Miranda's or Excelsior's (Starfleet's primary ship designs) and served to supplement the capital ships. The only other "in universe" explanation why we never see them is due to them being antiquated like the Constellation. I'm not a big believer in "failed" designs since why would Starfleet produce something unsuccessful. Also I've seen many of the conjectured designs online and while I think they look great, I almost feel like why would Starfleet make another version of a ship that looks and serves the same purpose as an Excelsior or Ambassador of that time period?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390442912271?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk235/therealfndeal/RenaissanceClassRefit.jpg

8. Unicron

Not every design will work as originally conceived, and certainly there's no reason Starfleet couldn't get around problems by specialization in some cases. The Defiant class springs to mind, having originally been a failed experimental weapons platform with a lot of highly modified systems. It was only the threat of the Dominion that led to its bugs being worked out.

9. 137th Gebirg

10. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unicron, Gebirg was referring to the tug that was towing a damaged Excelsior class at the beginning of DS9's "A Time to Stand".

CZ, as Praetor said, it was a Reading Rainbow episode. It's at timestamp 1:30 in this video:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR4AzMfcnjU[/yt]

11. CharlieZardoz

Aha! Yes there it is :D

12. Unicron

I know, and I was asking if any photos of that model exist anywhere. ;) I just hadn't noticed the spacedock shuttle until I was browsing EAS to see if I could find any leads on Tugboat Willy there.

13. 137th Gebirg

I think there may have been a shot of it on DrexFiles, but I can't be sure.

14. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. 137th Gebirg

That's the one!

Y'know...looking at that image, I'm now wondering if that was the same miniature as the other one that Unicron mentioned, turned upside-down, and repainted in that bilious palette that all the other DS9 ships were painted in. I see that same boxiness hidden under the surface greebles.

16. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I don't think they're the same model. Or if it is, that shuttle is completely unrecognizable.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  17. 137th Gebirg

I don't know - It really looks to me like the ship's core has that same angular box-like infrastructure. It was quite common for model builders to re-purpose older single-use models for other single-use scenes to preserve the budget. The many faces of the Antares-class freighter and the Bajoran Transport are prime examples. But yeah, it could be something else completely, too. I just can't tell...

18. Lego Thrawn

Lego Thrawn Lieutenant Red Shirt

Wow... thanks for posting/sharing these! The Trieste is indeed, an unusual design, but something about it makes me like it.

19. Lego Thrawn

Lego Thrawn Lieutenant Red Shirt

I just noticed that there is a third upside-down "NyQuil" cup painted the hull color at the very front top of the Trieste saucer... I wonder if the modeler(s) had intended to eventually put a third warp nacelle there?

20. 137th Gebirg

I doubt it - some of the other pictures show four more in the back, topside, behind the engines and surrounding the bridge. There's no way they could have fit that many nacelles on there. I figure they're probably long-range sensor assemblies, much like what can be seen on the saucers of the Constellation and Centaur. Possibly even tachyon emitters/focusing arrays, considering its intended use in the episode for which it was built.