Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MrPointy, May 10, 2011.

1. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Whats happening September 28th?

2. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

24th anniversary of the TNG premiere/start of TNG 25th year.

3. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

You're forgetting one important detail Bonzo. The live action segments of the show can also contain special effect elements. Everything from phaser fire, explosions, energy beams, holodeck transitions, even computer terminals all had to go through the standard definition video editing process in order to incorporate those effects. The only footage that would be in high definition would be the shots that have no special effects of any kind. Can you imagine how choppy and distracting the show would look if in one shot the scene is in high definition with no visuals, and the next shot is in standard definition simply because a phaser blast shot right passed the characters?

You might as well present every Q episode in standard definition if you're going to have leave his teleporting trick intact, because they usually occur after a long segment of dialogue.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

5. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Bizarrely enough, I was watching 'Friends' the other day and this very thing occured! They've clearly remastered the original footage for HD/widescreen, but not been able to redo the special effects. So when Pheobe visited Ursula (her twin, played by the same actor via split screen), every time they were both in shot the image quality plummeted severely, partially because of the jump to SD, but also because they ZOOMED IN on the footage in order to make it widescreen! Unbelievably distracting. And this is a show with money to burn, you'd think they'd have been able to recomposite the footage!

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

God has it really been 25 years?

RAMA

7. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They should announce on the 24th anniverary with the intention of airing from the 25th.

8. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I have a feeling (of dread) that Paramount will try some form of upscale on TNG and the result will be the biggest pile of crap in the history of HD. I just don't see them spending huge amounts of money on it, I bet its 3x TOS-R.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

At least that way everyone will be unhappy with it and we're all united again.

10. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The upscaled DS9 episode on the TOS BDs was absolutely awful, worse than the SD version of the episode. Hope they've learn't via that that upscales are off the table.

11. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

In my opinion that makes little sense. They could not market upscaling as HD content successfully. In fact that would border on fraud. No one would want to buy it or watch it as it would be no improvement over SD. If they want to continue to generate income from the old shows they will have to remaster them all eventually or let them fade into obscurity. And that would be a great mistake as many people, not just Trekkies by the way, still love watching these shows.

12. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'd actually love to see remastered footage of the 6-footer, but I also wouldn't be averse to seeing CGI when it is appropriate. For instance, maybe we'll finally get to see just how much bigger the Romulan Warbird is compared to the Enterprise.

13. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I gotta say, I got this sick feeling that this is all going to end up being upscaled footage as opposed to scanned negatives.

Or it could be that pizza playing tricks with my stomach.....

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

An up-scaled release on Blu-Ray? That would be a P.R. disaster for CBS. It won't happen.

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'd go with the latter. I don't think the guys in charge are stupid enough to try and get away with something like that. You'd have to be Stevie Wonder not to notice the difference.

16. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

That 4 episode disc is my most anticipated release of 2011. :lol: Hopefully we'll see a pre-order soon. There would have to be, if it's going to release this year!

17. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I checked out a little TNG on my free Amazon Prime streaming. Looked pretty shitty... lots of interlacing artifacts. C'mon people, fix these eps up right!

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Aside from movie news, the STNG-R project is at the top of my list too.

RAMA

19. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Fantastic!!:bolian: