"After 3:00 A.M. at Quark's"? What is this?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Michael, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I stumbled upon this the other day. Is this from an episode or was it written for any other specific purpose?

Also: Seriously, who designed this cover? :wtf:

[​IMG]

2. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I actually enjoyed listening to that; I might just buy it. It seems to have been released last year.

3. Michael

Well, I just did buy it and it really is a nice piece. But is there really no-one here who knows why or when this was released? It seems odd that a single Deep Space Nine track is realeased years after the show ended.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Well, years ago there was no iTunes - and one-off singles like this had little commercial value. But, as a cheap download, McCarthy can share lots of bizarre stuff. He's also done a single interpretation of John Barry's "Somewhere in Time" theme! And two themes from "ST Generations", "The Nexus" and "Closing Titles".

Other recent iTunes additions, by others, include a new version of "Ilia's Theme", two versions of the flute tune from "The Inner Light" (one by McCarthy) and a new version of the opening theme of TAS.

Googling it brings up: http://www.buysoundtrax.com/S_soundtracks.html

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  5. Michael

Wow, thanks for the info. I couldn't find anything using Google. But you are right, all these releases seem to be possible because of the advent of services like iTunes. It's good to see that some artists use it to release some of their more obscure works.

Maybe I'll get one of the other songs, too. :)

6. Therin of Andor

Try "Love Among the Stars", inspired by TNG, but unused.

7. Michael

^ Funny you should say that, as I actually bought just that song a couple of minutes ago. Plus the re-recorded version of the TAS theme. :)

The unused TNG love theme is nice, but a bit generic for my tastes. However, it's interesting because of its obscurity.

The TAS theme recording is a nice and punchy rendition of the classic theme. So it's good to have it in my collection.

Thanks again for providing the information. I would have never thought of searching Amazon or iTunes for similar releases. :)

8. Therin of Andor

Definitely, and those scattered bits that almost remind you of familiar ST stuff, then gone again.

9. Odo not Frodo

Odo not Frodo Ensign Red Shirt

Tried buying it just now but Amazon doesn't sell music to Canadians apparently.

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

11. Odo not Frodo

Odo not Frodo Ensign Red Shirt

Thanks but amazon.ca is pretty useless, they don't offer downloads and their product selection is atrocious.

12. Supernuke

Supernuke Commander Red Shirt

I love this version! It really is quite relaxing

13. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is quite a find but I'm still looking for the alternate DS9 theme that Varani played in Quarks.

14. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Just noticed this is on the La-La Land DS9 release!

15. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was just going to post it's the last track on disk four. The piano version of the DS9 theme. It's one of my favorite tracks on the new set.

I take it from the comments here that the single version is something different? Maybe longer or something?