Your Personal Top 20 TNG Ep's List

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by M-Red, Jun 17, 2009.

1. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

or 25....if you have to.

***Note: not a ranking....but a chronological ordering of TNG's best episodes....beginning with the start of Season 1 and ending with "All Good Things..."***

okay...recently one of my good friends (a big Star Wars fan) saw the new movie and has gotten hooked on Trek. We talked a lot and he bought the blue-ray set and started to watch all the old movies.

but before he saw TWOK, I told him to watch "Spaceseed" online....he did, and liked the old episode better than the movie. The same pattern was repeated with "Amok Time" before he viewed TSFS. So....he decided (on his own) that he'd missed so much backstory to just start watching all the TOS episodes he could before going on. Now he's hooked on Trek and loves TOS. I gave him a "must see" list for TOS but he's going to try and watch all 3 seasons.

And its cool for me because I get to "teach" Trek to someone who can really get into it and enjoy it

but, of course, TNG isn't like TOS -- for one thing, it has more than twice as many episodes. So I wanted to give him a condensed version of TNG --from Season 1 to Season 7-- in under 30 episodes. He wanted 15 and I told him that was impossible. He didn't understand but he will later. After that, he can cruise back through at his own pace and even go on to DS9 (which I think he'll really enjoy).

So I've composed a Top ~30 list for him (organized chronologically -- beginning with "EAF" and ending with "AGT..." --for TNG's seven seasons and am about to pass it along to him.

But...before I do, I'm wondering what many of the real TNG Trekkies on this board would choose as their Top 20-25 (organized chronologically)for someone who hasn't seen TNG but wants a condensed version while still getting a pretty good picture of the entire story.

What would be the 20-25 episodes you'd recommend a newbie to watch??

And remember, I'm not ranking episodes...I'm compiling the most important episodes of TNG into a sequential list so he can follow the development of the characters and the series chronologically.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. M-Red

oh...and I'm considering all 2-part episodes as just one story.

So, for instance, "Redemption" or "Unification" would just be considered one episode each...like EAF and AGT

makes it easier to squeeze in more episodes :vulcan:

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

1. Where No One Has Gone Before
    2. The Battle
    3. Hide and Q
    4. The Big Goodbye
    5. 11001001
    6. Too Short a Season
    7. Heart of Glory
    8. Skin of Evil
    9. Conspiracy
    10. The Neutral Zone
    11. Where Silence Has Lease
    12. Contagion
    13. The Royale
    14. A Matter of Honor
    15. Q, Who?
    16. Who Watches the Watchers?
    17. The Drumhead
    18. The Wounded
    19. Future Imperfect
    20. Half a Life

I tend to like the earlier seasons a lot more, but the later ones have some gems too.

4. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I think 20 is too many to list. The longer the list, the more impersonal. I'd rather stick with a top 10. I just made up my mind about one recently after re-watching the seasons of the series in order (skipping episodes I really disliked) for the first time since they were originally broadcast.

1. The Best of Both Worlds (Season 3, Episode 26)
    2. Yesterday's Enterprise (Season 3, Episode 15)
    3. Deja Q (Season 3, Episode 13)
    4. The Hunted (Season 3, Episode 11)
    5. The Measure of a Man (Season 2, Episode 9)
    6. Time Squared (Season 2, Episode 13)
    7. Lower Decks (Season 7, Episode 15)
    8. The Offspring (Season 3, Episode 16)
    9. The Inner Light (Season 5, Episode 25)
    10. Cause and Effect (Season 5, Episode 18)

Gotta give an 'honourable mention' to "Attached" which was a lot more exciting, funny, entertaining, and emotionally powerful/resonant than I expected. And since I'm a sucker for all Picard love stories, I also adored "Qpid" and "Lessons". I know most of my favourites are common choices with fans, but I think #3, #4, and #6 are way underrated.

"Time Squared" is kind of a more basic, less ambitious version of "Cause and Effect", but I consider it superior mostly just because I love the surreal visuals of the two Picards together and Patrick Stewart's hilarious performance of how disgusted he is with the shellshock of his future self. :lol:

"The Hunted" has one of most fascinating and exciting guest stars I've ever seen on a Star Trek show (who I never see any one talk about), and "Deja Q" just shows how Q can inspire some of the most memorably delightful lines and scenes of the regular cast (particularly Data, Worf, and Guinan in that episode) through his interaction with them.

P.S. Even though I didn't have a place for any of its episodes in the top 10, I want to emphasize how much I love season 4.

5. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tried to cut the list down to 20, but I couldn't, so I have a list of 25. Some of my favorites still didn't make the list.

1. Encounter at Farpoint (I think it's a poor episode, but since it's the pilot, it's important.)
    2. The Measure of a Man (This is quite probably the finest episode of any Star Trek series.)
    3. The Ensigns of Command
    4. Who Watches the Watchers? (This provides a good explanation/justification for the Prime Directive.)
    5. The High Ground
    6. Yesterday's Enterprise
    7. Sarek
    8. The Best of Both Worlds
    9. Remember Me
    10. Data's Day
    11. The Wounded
    12. The Drumhead
    13. Ensign Ro
    14. Unification
    15. The First Duty
    16. The Inner Light
    17. The Chain of Command
    18. Face of the Enemy
    19. Birthright
    20. Lessons
    21. The Chase
    22. Lower Decks
    23. Thine Own Self
    24. Journey's End (This is a good follow-up to Wesley's character development, and it also gives good background to the Federation/Cardassian treaty and the situation that will lead up to the formation of the Maquis.)
    25. All Good Things

6. arasam22

arasam22 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i'll make a list (prolly later, i gotta go to a graduation rehearsal soon blech), but i'm going to say start off with conundrum (s5), becuase that would be cool to watch when you have no idea who the characters are lol.

7. M-Red

thank you all!

Its very interesting to see the episodes people would employ to convey "their" TNG to someone who hasn't seen it. Because it's such a broad series in scope, there are many possible avenues....fun to see the different ways people choose.

I'm trying to shave off 5 episodes (at least) and trim it down from 30 to 25. I'll post my (tentative) list in a little while and see what you think....

I knew I'd receive some good input on here....many thanks!

8. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Had to do 25 - didn't realise how much it would be dominated by the later seasons!

The Big Goodbye
    The Measure Of A Man
    Yesterdays Enterprise
    The Best Of Both Worlds
    Remember Me
    The Loss
    First Contact
    The Drumhead
    Ensign Ro
    Disaster
    Conundrum
    Cause & Effect
    I Borg
    The Next Phase
    The Inner Light
    Chain Of Command
    Face Of The Enemy
    Lessons
    Second Chances
    Timescape
    Attached
    Parallels
    The Pegasus
    Lower Decks
    All Good Things

9. arasam22

^interestingly enough, that is almost exactly the list that i had made up... the only difference is that i replaced the big goodbye with encounter at farpoint.. not my favorite ep, but you really need to watch it to understand the finale.

crazy! o.O

10. Similitude

Similitude Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1. Chain Of Command I&II
    2. Yesterdays Enterprise
    3. All Good Things...I&II
    4. The Measure Of A Man
    5. The Inner Light
    6. Lower Decks
    7. The Best Of Both Worlds I&II
    8. The Wounded
    9. A Matter Of Honor
    10. Parallels
    11. Cause And Effect
    12. Tapestry
    13. Genesis
    14. Relics
    15. The Defector
    16. Timescape
    17. Face Of The Enemy
    18. Unification I&II
    19. Peak Performance
    20. I, Borg

11. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everytime I go thru the list of all TNG episodes, I end up with about 10 good ones per Season.

But for my totally complet list of cannot-miss favorites, maybe I can pick at least 5. Let me think:

1. Where no one has gone before
    2. Remember Me
    3. We'll always have Paris
    4. Q Who
    5. BOBW
    6. Tapestry
    7. AGT.

I'm sure there's other good ones but those are my top favorites.

12. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

1. Conspiracy
    2. The Measure of a Man
    3. Q Who?
    4. The Defector
    5. Yesterday's Enterprise
    6. The Offspring
    7. Sins of the Father
    8. The Best of Both Worlds
    9. Family
    10. Reunion
    11. Qpid
    12. The Drumhead
    13. Cause and Effect
    14. The First Duty
    15. The Inner Light
    16. Chain of Command
    17. Tapestry
    18. Attached
    19. The Pegasus
    20. All Good Things...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  13. arasam22

allright... revised my list a little bit... and i couldn't get it below 25. i didn't put skin of evil in there, but you should prolly tell him that tasha dies in season 1 so he doesn't get confused.

Conundrum lol
    Encounter at Farpoint
    Measure of Man
    Q Who
    Yesterday's Enterprise
    The Best of both Worlds+Family
    (Data's day)
    First Contact
    The Drumhead
    Ensign Ro
    Disaster
    Cause and Effect
    I, Borg
    The Next Phase
    The Inner Light
    Chain of Command
    Face of the Enemy
    Second Chances
    Tapestry
    Frame of Mind
    (Gambit)
    Parallels
    The Pegasus
    Lower Decks
    All Good Things

14. Too Much Fun

Nice to see Genesis getting some love. I thought I was the only one here who liked it. :techman: I wouldn't call it an excellent episode or anything, but it was lots of silly fun and the last season 7 episode that I really dug until the finale.

15. Similitude

Similitude Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I certainly would call it excellent.

16. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like Genesis too - the science may be a bit iffy but I've always liked it and was surprised how many people on here seem to compare it to Threshold. I always felt there was a big difference between the two - Genesis is a enjoyable story to watch after all!

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ooh... fun.

Yesterday's Enterprise
    Parallels
    Best of Both Worlds
    Conspiracy
    Family
    Sarek
    Unification
    The Offspring
    I, Borg
    Chain of Command
    Tapestry
    Cause and Effect
    The Inner Light
    All Good Things
    Birthright
    Darmok
    The Measure of a Man
    All Good Things

18. Too Much Fun

This seems like a weird choice and explanatory comment. I thought the point of this thread is to list your personal favourite episodes. You call this a poor episode. If you'd justified listing it by saying you like it even though you think it's poor objectively, it being in your list would make more sense, but putting it at number one because it's important seems to be missing the point if we're ranking episodes according to personal preference rather than significance. :confused:

19. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

M-Red asked for a chronological listing, not a ranking. Encounter at Farpoint is listed in the number 1 spot on my list because it's the first episode that made the list. As far as the comment about some of my favorites not making the list, what I meant was that I have more than 25 favorite episodes.

20. Too Much Fun

Ah, I see...I think some people not going in order by season confused me. Looks like I'll need to re-do mine, then.