Stargate Atlantis CANCELLED

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by James Bond, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

God I hope so. They were by far the least compelling storyline this show ever cooked up.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

maybe a 100 episodes for syndication? any more seasons than that, things have to be renegotiated I guess.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^^The thing with Weir and her little Replicator ship could have been interesting, but this is something we will probably not get to see.

Unless that is one of the movies. That would be pretty cool.

4. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Did you see "Ghost in the Machine" yet?

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Um...tell me which one that is.

If it's from Season 5, no I have not.

6. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Whelp, with this and Galactica gone that'll be the end of me watching the Sci-Fi channel.

7. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

wow just when i was starting to get back into atlantis. so the only thing i'll be watching now is the last of bsg and eureka.

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Um, no. Its not.

Atlantis has been on for four and a half years and was born to expand on the success of its predecessor. They eliminated two of the show's more well-received characters despite fan outcry and failed to 'catch lightning twice' with their replacements. Despite an overly lackluster fourth season and the exit of Carter (who had to be shoehorned in anyway), the show miraculously got a fifth season. Firefly was a promising new program that had the misfortune of being tinkered with in scheduling, a shitty airtime, and being on a major network.

This is in no way like the situation with Firefly and Fox in 2002, which frankly, has been so blown out of proportion on this board you might as well say 'Cancel the firefly' instead of 'jump the shark.' (Incidentally, 'nuke the fridge' works too.)

Its a cable television network. Their first goal is to make money. If they can do that by being more accessible i.e. horror and wrestling (though some might claim the two are one and the same) and get away with it, then they will.

[/quote]

I'm thinking one, if any at all.

9. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I hope Connor Trinneer can join the cast of Caprica. :techman:

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Gateworld has reported that the season finale (now series finale) is a cliffhanger. Link

Dunno if it's already been filmed, but it is at least far into the writing process. Probably too far for it to be scrapped.

This is nothing like the cancellation of Firefly. I'm not not a Firefly fan, but that show was canned after only a few episodes (many of which were not even aired, iirc). Atlantis aired for five seasons. For most TV shows, that is a great run. Does it suck that it was canceled and isn't getting a proper resolution within the show? Yes. Is 100 episodes anything to sneeze at? No.

Somehow, I think we'll get one, maybe two.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

One movie, then another movie which will be an SG1/Atlantis crossover.

12. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

I don't see more than 1 DVD out of Atlantis either. IMO, it doesn't have the fanbase of SG1, regardless of the changes in S4-5.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

One DVD won't be enuff...

Michael/Wraith and the rumors of a new species plus whatever cliffhanger happens in last episode.

this so sucks

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Eh, Farscape managed to do it. They introduced a whole new alien race in the last 30 seconds of the series finale and managed to wrap the whole thing up nicely in one TV movie.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Since the Gateworld story mentions one movie that is the first in an intended series of DVD movies, I don't know what everyone is so upset about.

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

As everyone should know I'm not a huge fan of Atlantis, it had so much promise and failed some badly storywise.

However, what the fuck is Sci-fi Channel smoking? They have NOTHING else... NOTHING!!! I thought for sure they would give a 6th and finale season a chance, damn idiots.

Hopefully this means MGM might wake up and fire the overused and way overdo to be fired writers, but I doubt it.

17. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Why be so quick to assume it was Sci-Fi's decision? MGM has the power to end the show too, you know. And, as has been sai earlier in the thread, the general consensus is that it was MGM's decision. But anyway, we'll find out for sure tomorrow when MGM gives their press release.

18. Captain Euphoria

Captain Euphoria Commander Red Shirt

Well, with the end of SG-1, SG-A and BSG plus the lackluster storytelling so far in this season of Eureka, I no longer have any reason to watch Sci-Fi. Reruns of shows I've already watched do not a network make!

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think this is the biggest problem. They're ending all of their most popular shows. I imagine they will be alienating the majority of their viewers.

20. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Fuck.

That's another step closer to the death of TV drama for me.