Polar Lights Refit Enterprise 1:350

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Campe, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey all - Many, MANY moons ago, I tried my hand at building models. I gave that up for girls in high school but I always did have fun doing it. I put together maybe 15 models back in the day including the Enterprise-A, -D, Galileo, and I think the Excelsior if I recall correctly.

I just moved to a new town and being away from all that I know, including some time-consuming hobbies, I figured I'd try to revisit some old ones. Coming back to models came to mind and in particular, I was considering the Enterprise Refit 1:350 scale model from Polar Lights. It is my favorite incarnation of the Big E and I long since have lost my light-up 1701-A so I figured I'd try this again.

I know the 1:350 scale is extremely large and very challenging. I also know that there are more than a few upgrades you can purchase in order to make it more screen correct. I'm wondering if anyone can give any advice for putting this sucker together. In particular, is it worth it? How difficult of a build is it really? Are there issues with the nacelle assemblies that have been problems in other builds of this ship? Is there anything I can do to save some money and not buy every upgrade out there and still make her look relatively screen accurate?

Most importantly, is it fun? :)

2. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

It IS a fun model. It's pretty accurate unless you want to go nuts. There are tonnes of details you can add to, but really, those are details that are like a dog getting up in another's butt. Overall, the model looks like the E. Hell, I bought some photoetched parts for mine and they're not even spot on in some cases (starboard aft quarter saucer lounge windows and forced perspective interior BS). But that only matters for how far you want to go.

As for assembly- I haven't been gotten to the pylons yet, but the bridge rim windows are a bit of a pain. Test fit and build jigs to hold them EXACTLY where you want- or you'll be doing a lot of filling, sanding and scribbing (like I am *stupid*).

I'm having fun with mine because I like to fill in the interior details. And made changes that reflect concepts for the ship.

But again- no need to go nuts. Slap her together in sections, paint it nicely, get those decals on, and you'll have a fine looking model!

3. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Hit the Trek sub-forum at Starship Modeler. There are plenty of people there who have done the 350 Refit up to various degrees. Lots of opinions and advice to be found there if you pick people's brains.

4. Campe

Thanks guys!

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I went from never having modelled to trying to build AND light the 1:350. It's a work in progress and I am going to have to do something about the light bleed from the joints but overall this model is a true masterpiece. The plan is to display it with about 50 customised Citadel TMP crew miniatures from the 80s.

7. Campe

Very cool idea, Pauln6!

I have a feeling that it's going to be a very slow process, me building this bad boy. For one thing, modelmaking, especially this one, is an expensive hobby to get started or restarted on. I also don't want to half ass it. I have a feeling I'll be spending 6 months to a year just getting going on it before I actually get to full-on construction.

I mean, there are some very cool builds I'd like to emulate but do my own take on. My ultimate goal is I'd like it to have the exterior as seen in TMP (the five color luminescent aztecing) and do the shuttlebay/rec deck/officers lounge as though they were from TMP with a bit more of an updated color scheme. I also have been reading build WIP threads and thinking I'd like to have figures painted as though they were in the TWOK uniforms putting it sometime between those two films. I have every intention of lighting it and doing the photoetch kits from Paragrafix.

But I want to control costs and try to keep the entire thing under $500 including the purchase of new tools, brushes and paints. I imagine I could go all out and let the costs get out of control. Have to be careful about that.

8. Pauln6

I'm terrible at colour schemes and that sort of thing. I got my ship for my 40th birthday and the LEDs arrived 4 months later. I'm 44 this year and only about a third done. I've also only done one head swap figure - an andorian female security guard. I have a loooong road ahead! The only figure I'm missing is Ilia in uniform.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  9. Forbin

Hey, I bought a crate of those things when they first came out, and I still haven't finished one.

10. Pauln6

Check to see if you have Ilia in Uniform then. I've NEVER seen one. I bet you could flog on her on Ebay for a packet. I'm aware of at least one other person who wants one...

11. Campe

I think Forbin means the models. Any chance you'd be willing to part with one, Forbin?

12. Forbin

Yup. My wife would be very happy :lol:. Email me.

13. Campe

LOL... Anything to help keep marital bliss! :). Check your PM!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014