Who was the earliest graduate of Starfleet Academy?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Melakon, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The way ENT:TATV wraps up the series, one might conclude the entire 4 years was just an edited out holonovel subplot from TNG: The Pegasus.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The diploma is the only reference to Starfleet Academy in Enterprise. It was the intention that there was no Starfleet Academy, indeed never once does a character talk about the Academy. It's always "training" or STC. Season 4 actually made quite a few of these errors, a computer graphic in Divergence identifies the ship as "USS Enterprise NX-01" despite the fact USS is not part of its name.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Which still doesn't rule out the existence of an Academy, because instruction there would still be Starfleet training, and with no actual onscreen explanation for the letters "S.T.C," they could mean "Starfleet Technical College" or "Sam's Trucking Center" for all we know.
    The USS designation for Starfleet ships may have started there or it wasn't a commonly used honorific, but a technically accurate one. In any event, a computer ID ftag or the ship wouldn't change anything as far as other onscreen material goes.

4. Melakon

With the remastering trend though, we can't even assume that things we originally saw on screen in TOS are canon anymore. So in a couple of decades, the diploma evidence and a mislabled NX tag and other minor discrepancies might disappear.

In my original post, I asked for the earliest graduate of Starfleet Academy. NOT Starfleet Academy (Earth). Based on these conditions, is there an answer?

All dialogue seems to support the theory that the Academy was founded in 2161.

5. C.E. Evans

No. Thread closed.
    :rofl:

6. Melakon

You're closing my thread?

7. C.E. Evans

No, it was a joke (I couldn't close a thread anyway). But since there isn't really an official answer to your question, all there's left is speculation and non-canon stuff as to who was the first to graduate from Starfleet Academy.

8. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a guy named Eugene C. Starfleet. The school was named after him.

9. Melakon

I suppose the real answer is Gene Rpddenberry or Gene Coon, or whoever came up with the concept of the Academy in the first place.

Well, I've been here less than three months and don't always know who has veto power without looking it up. And the other day I saw some guy issuing fake bans to answers he didn't like. And I'd been without nicotine for 48 hours and was getting stressed. Now I've got my fix and I'll be more calm.

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Harry Kim. Yes, he's been an ensign that long.

11. C.E. Evans

I perfectly understand. Really, only people with their names in green (moderators) or yellow (administrators) can do thread closings and bans. Anyone else trying to do that is just pulling yer leg.

Belated welcome to the board.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ignoring Enterprise (although IMO Starfleet is Starfleet, whatever distinctions Memory Alpha may draw), the first people we saw at Starfleet Academy in-universe would be the gang from JJ's Star Trek, in 2255, who graduated in 2258 (their class rings can be seen HERE, a few of the characters are seen wearing them in thatmovie and in Into Darkness.)

I believe the first references to the academy IRL are from TOS' second pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before" - Gary Mitchell mentions Kirk having been an academy instructor.

13. Melakon

The only thing I know for certain is T'Bonz is the Supreme Goddess.

That may be the definitive answer. I'm still working on that firstborn male child.