Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Aatrek, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's too damn long to wait, although it does give me some time to save up another £65 for the last two seasons.

2. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been watching episodes on this set since Christmas, and I'm still absolutely stunned at the upgrade these episodes are getting.

It's a shame about the 2 minutes of footage that could not be found, but I'm stunned at just how much they did find, and that this endeavor is even possible.

3. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

Isn't there a season 6 trailer on the series 5 DVD?

4. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The trailer for season 6 has not yet been released. It's expected in early 2014 (probably the next month or two, if I had to guess).

5. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The trailers have gotten progressively goofier. I wonder if season 6 will go with the flow.

6. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I just hope they give us a peek at the DS9 station footage from "Birthright," or even the runabout footage from "Timescape."

7. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

I second that!

8. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Even WESLEY is back!" Ba doo boom.

:rolleyes:

It would be nice if they return to the more serious tone of the first 3 promo's.

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I need to get back to season 5. I watched up to Disaster and than started X-files and haven't watched both in a while. Maybe it's the waiting for season 6 news and the release date that is holding me back. I'll get back to it eventually.

10. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Speaking of X-Files, that's coming to Blu-ray also. Remastered by HTV...

11. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I don't know anything about how X-Files was mastered, but if film masters simply needed to be transferred, I'm not sure how HTV could screw it up.

EDIT: Okay, so in google-searching "X-Files remaster HTV," I came across an article about "illuminate Hollywood," which appears to be HTV under a new name. When did they change their name? And did it have anything to do with the terrible job on TNG season two?

This is the article I found.

12. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

FYI: Their former full name was "HTV Illuminate", so Illuminate was always there.
    According to this press release they changed their name in early 2013 when they bought up a production studio, so they now do both production and post-production.
    http://illuminatehollywood.com/after-hour-show-production-in-multi-camera-hd-studios/

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, the press release isn't going to say, "and because we botched a number of high profile releases and want to hide that fact..."

Then again, they aren't hiding the fact that they did season two of Star Trek: The Next Generation -- although it isn't as easy to find this information as it was on their old website. So, it's probably for the stated reasons.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

HTV did garbage work on TNG S2. I'm not touching anything else they work on in the future.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Even Criterion has put out a few bad transfers. Having said that, in addition to reading reviews (as I always do), I'll probably pause for an extra second or two if I hear HTV was involved in the restoration of something I'm considering buying.

16. tomalak301

I say I needed to get back to TNG so I watched The Game tonight. The episode itself is average, but I really still love the Wesley and Lefler scenes. We really needed more Robin Lefler. She was cute and awesome.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I watched two season 7 episodes because my wife hadn't watched them yet, and I had to suffer through the quality. I even noticed bad starship matting I never noticed when I used to watch the show. This bluray project is one of the great entertainment efforts of our time!!

18. tomalak301

It seems like as the seasons go on, the visual effect angle tends to diminish somewhat. I'm noticing in Season 5, we still have the somewhat blurry shots as the Enterprise passes through, but we really don't have the special effects I can look out for and say, good job CBS Digital. Well, I was watching Hero Worship tonight (I haven't seen this episode in a while, and still think it's a little boring) and the shots of the Nebula are stunning. It's dark, but I think it's a little more creepy than the original SD film.

I'm trying to think of episodes where visual effects will be noticeable for the rest of the season and the only ones I can think of are Cause and Effect, Power Play, and maybe Next Phase (Even though we saw something like that in In Theory). I am enjoying revisiting these episodes though, and actually found an episode that might be really underrated, Violations. Man that episode was creepy, even though I wonder if they could have gone further. Given an HBO format and budget, it might have been a true horror episode.

19. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I agree, we've kind of been "spoiled" so there aren't many episodes that surprise us anymore. As I made my way through S5 I can only say I was noticeably impressed with 3-5 episodes and the rest were on par with everything else.

That's not to say I'm not enjoying the project, but I think it was inevitable, we get used to seeing TNG in HD and it becomes the standard of what we expect, instead of comparing it to the DVD releases and noticing the vast improvement.

The other problem with this is that it makes the flaws that do creep in all the more noticeable, such as the missing bluescreen replacements in "Imaginary Friends" and the up-scaled shots.

20. asp7485

asp7485 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I watched "Power Play" and barely noticed the SD footage. They did a great job blending that in!