So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

In terms of DS9, it simply refers to when Pocket "relaunched" the DS9 book line starting with Avatar. They did away with numbering the books and began an arc-based storyline post-series. The same applies to Voyager with the four post-finale Christine Golden novels and five Kirsten Beyer novels.

The term has also been used to refer to the soft change in direction of the Next Gen novels starting with the A Time To... novels.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Originally, editor Marco Palmieri only intended "relaunch" to apply to the big promotional push that started off the new post-finale DS9 novel series: "relaunch" = new beginning, a single event that would kick off the new ongoing series of DS9 adventures. But as so often happens, the public confused that idea for the overlapping idea of the series itself as a whole, and so people started using "Relaunch" as a designation for any post-finale series, even well after its launch.

Thus, as far as TNG goes, I think the term "Relaunch" is generally only applied to the post-Nemesis books beginning with Resistance (or Death in Winter, depending on how one defines things).

3. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Reading an oldie, "Mudd in Your Eye", by Jerry Oltion.

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:rommie:Mudd in your Eye By Jerry Oltin is a real fun novel. I'm reading The Man of Steel movie novel by Greg Cox.

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm slowly slogging through The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm, and starting to consider giving up.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Finished Manifold: Time and am now reading Manifold: Space.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

Slowly but surely making my way through the Stargazer series. Almost done with Enigma.

8. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I just finished 'Chicks in Capes' an anthology from Moonstone Press. Unfortunately, there were only two stories that stood out for me.

9. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Finished reading Star Trek: Inception by S.D. Perry & Britta Dennison.

It wasn't great which is a shame but it didn't seem as bad as some reviews I have seen out there.

Anyway, if anyone is interested I posted the review on my blog here

10. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished Raise the Dawn today. Epic stuff. The "trilogy" of Rough Beasts of Empire/Plagues of Night/Raise the Dawn has been one of the most absorbing stories of the Trek relaunch. Really enjoyed seeing the DS9 characters again.
    I hope we'll see more of Mr George's work.

Up next: Brinkmanship. That's got a lot to live up to!

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up Magic Burns, the second book in the Kate Daniels series. I don't think I can describe how much I seriously love these books.

12. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Having finally finished Shadowrun: spells and Chrome after numerous sidetracks, I was ready to jump into my Peter David marathon with The Captain's Daughter, but I made a last minute decision to read John Scalzi's Redshirts instead. It's been sat on my shelf too long.

13. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well Brinkmanship didn't take long to read. I enjoyed it, I thought it did quite well building the tension. Up next (based on advice from this forum) - Immortal Coil.

14. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Reading an older TNG novel. The Eyes of the Beholders by A.C. Crispin.

15. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Taking a break from Star Trek until 'The Fall' books are released and doing an excursion to Irvine Welsh land with "Ecstasy"

16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Working on the last 25% of The Eternal Tide. Things have finally settled down enough where I feel like I am relaxed enough to actually sit down and enjoy reading. After this, back to Horns by Joe Hill and then starting Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton.

17. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I finished reading 'The Great Call of China' yesterday, and was pretty impressed with the writing and the character depictions. Now, I'm going to re-read '3001'...read the 'Supertoys' trilogy...and 'Best of Southeast Asian Erotica.'

18. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Stargate Atlantis: Dead End by Chris Wraight a few days ago. It was pretty enjoyable and I liked that
    it depicted the inspiration for McKay's intergalactic gate bridge.

I then read two stories from New Frontier: No Limits, Robin Lefler: Lefler's Logs & Morgan Primus: Alice, on the Edge of Night. These two stories kinda form a mini-duology, that I found interesting.

I'm now reading Redshirts by John Scalzi.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm almost done with STTP: Raise the Dawn, so I started Every Which Way But Dead, the third book in Kim Harrison's The Hollows series.

20. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Just started Nathan Archer's Valhalla. I don't know what it is but I haven't found the numbered DS9 books to be very good. The characters often seem to be somewhat off. Sisko seems to be abnormally snippy in a lot of cases and I've also seen a lot where Kira's attitude has been angry to the point of being irrational. I can't put my finger on it but they often seem to be lacking. A lot of the authors seem to be one and done authors as well where they only wrote one book in the pocket univese and either moved on or where not invited to write again.