IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

How many significant men in positions of power have we seen in a film franchise that is only two films long?

Unless Orci & Kurtzman have already decided that they want T'Pau dead, or already know that she won't be needed in the next film, I can't see IDW's comic arbitrarily pronouncing her dead.

Have you checked if she's a character on New Vulcan in the tie-in computer game?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Robau, George Kirk, Nero, Pike, the Academy commandant, Sarek, Spock, James Kirk, Admiral Marcus. Which is more than zero.

3. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Plus, Spock's new commanding officer in STiD whose name escapes me, and since we are talking about T'Pau in the context of the comic franchise: High Commissioner Ferris, seven Romulan men sitting on the jury in the Romulan Senate, Robert April, and Commander Kor.

Anything else you want to add Therin? :rofl:

I agree that they won't likely arbitrarily pronounce her dead in the comics but by the same token, I seriously doubt that they are consciously keeping her in reserve. I don't have access to the computer game.

4. Christopher

^I assume "significant" means significant in the story. So offscreen characters like Spock's new captain, or bit players like Komack and Chandra in the Academy hearing or the other admirals in the Daystrom briefing, wouldn't count.

5. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

So, is the Shatner!Kirk scene in the actual comic, or not? :confused:

I also had not heard anything more about than that it might be in the comic version, which was before the actual release of the comic.

6. Therin of Andor

I've been trying to find all my variations to check. I thought I distinctly recalled a bluish Shatneresque Kirk image delivering Spock's birthday message, ie. the scripted piece that had prepared for Shatner's unused cameo, but it's not in the individual issues I checked a few days ago.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Memory-Alpha and Memory Beta make no mention to Shatner Kirk being in the XI comic adaptation. When Spock Prime mind melds with Kirk in the comic, they do show imager from Countdown including Picard and Data.

Is it possible we're getting things mixed up with Countdown, which does feature Nero looking up a computer file about Kirk, featuring an image drawn in Shatner's likeness?

8. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

You're probably confusing two memories as one. One of seeing the blue-ish Kirk in the Countdown comic leading up to Star Trek XI (when Nero was reading up on Kirk on the E-E), and reading the scripted Shatner scene that was online when we found out that there was scene for the Shat in XI. I could be wrong, but it's possible..

9. Therin of Andor

I think there has been a more recent Shatneresque image as well. "Countdown" was a long time ago now.

10. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Captain Frank Abbott may have only had one or two lines, but he certainly couldn't fall under the category of "off-screen." They could easily have made Abbott a woman. I think he counts as being on the list.

11. Christopher

^Oh, he was in the briefing scene? I forgot that. But remember, the question under discussion was about significant characters, not about every single character who appeared onscreen. Someone who has one or two lines as part of a group is not a significant character in the story.

12. Kertrats47

Oh, agreed, but a little more sex and gender diversity across the board would be nice. It wasn't until you posted that little list of yours that I truly realized how male-dominated the films were, much to my discredit. :/

13. Christopher

^Which was my intent. Therin seemed to be suggesting that there wasn't really a gender imbalance, that there wasn't room in just 2 films to depict many authority figures of either sex, so I was pointing out that we've actually seen a significant number of male authority figures so far.

14. Pauln6

You're right, Abbot isn't really significant but it's also worth noting that there aren't that many insignificant women in positions of authority either. Mostly, I just really like T'Pau.

15. Kertrats47

^ Exactly. I understand that the discussion is about featured characters in authority, but my comment was to say that even when they're NOT front and center, people in positions of power seem to be men. It would be cool if that were changed as well. :)

16. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course, the ultimate counter to that would be if we were to see a female Federation President in the third nuTrek film.

17. Therin of Andor

Nah, I was suggesting that just two films so far might not be enough to establish a pattern.

18. Pauln6

When you throw the comics in the mix though, the pattern is definitely there and it's also a pattern that has existed to differing degrees since Trek's inception. The NuTrek movies look slightly worse than say, DS9, because there isn't enough material to establish a definitive pattern but the old imbalance is most definitely still showing up in what we have so far.

19. Therin of Andor

But I don't recall that being what I was saying.

20. Pauln6

Fair enough, although that was the context of the prior conversation, but I suppose either way the point is incorrect. :p

I'm surprised they've done so little with T'Pring too. Still, if you can beam to Qo'onos, you can beam to Romulus I suppose... :wtf: