Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, May 19, 2012.

?

Grade the movie:

1. A+

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A-

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. B+

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. C

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. FAIL!!!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

The were cutting off road access to their objective. That is a legitimate military objective. And they didn't do it until AFTER they were attacked first.

2. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am not missing it, I am playng odds. If it were a crash why does it hit population where it is densly packed instead of open ocean or fields of barley? It wouldnt be the first soldier who lost his ship or plane and decided to take out as many as he could before his death

3. Aeolusdallas

You are deliberately twisting what happened.

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Why do movie asteroids and other natural disasters seem to deliberately seek out famous landmarks and cities to destroy? Because it looks cooler to destroy a city or a landmark than a field or the open ocean. I doubt there was anything more to the writer's decision to have the crash take place in Hong Kong than that.

5. Star Wolf

No more so then saying the evil warmongering LT got his CO and everybody who can tell a different story killed

6. Aeolusdallas

I never said that. I said the humans fired first and the aliens repeatedly attempted to avoid civilian casualties. That is un disputable. You on the other hand are suggesting (without a shred of evidence) that the aliens knowingly and purposely kamikazed Hong Kong. Which flies in the face of every single bit of evidence we have.

You are twisting the evidence.

7. Star Wolf

Why people have laws, yet some people break them. The evidence is the size of earth and the size of Hong Kong, to miss everything but hit Hong Kong itself would take almost the hand of a deity deciding to become involved. Besides this is a long thread, the entire fire first thing rabbit hole and the stupid human who forced all of the alien actions that someone blogged somewhere and was paraphrased here.

8. Aeolusdallas

The ship broke apart in orbit an parts of it fell all over. One part happened to hit Hong Kong. That is not deliberate. Are you also suggesting that the meteor in Armageddon purposely hit Paris? I mean The evidence is the size of earth and the size to miss everything but hit Paris itself would take almost the hand of a deity deciding to become involved. Oh no wait, random things happen and movie directors like seeing famous cities and landmarks smashed up.

Why would the aliens work so hard at not hurting civilians in every single engagement (serously they put more effort into avoid civilian casualties than humans armies almost ever do) except Hong Kong?

9. Star Wolf

The same reason the US Military will try to do everything right in Afghanistan but then after years of trying to build trust one soldier goes on a murder spree

10. Aeolusdallas

Nothing in the movie even vaguely supports your assertion.

11. Star Wolf

Except an area the size of Hong Kong taking catastrophic hits

12. Aeolusdallas

Which is presented as an accident. Random bad luck. There is literally not a single bit of evidence in the movie that could lead on to rationally conclude a purposeful strike on the city. Not even the humans in the movie believe it to be anything but a random crash.
    The parts of the ship had to land somewhere and one of the parts just happened to hit a populated area.

13. Star Wolf

Or the results of the last actions of a military assault pilot who knew he was about to die

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

While I agree the destruction in Hong Kong was an accident, I find it hard to believe that the intentions of the aliens were peaceful. But then the aliens had to know that hitting the satellite was an accident as well, it does seem strange that they couldn't have evaded it as advanced as they are.

15. Locutus of Bored

In the film it was clearly presented as an out of control crash from the moment of impact with the satellite where the debris goes spinning off uncontrollably.

You're getting hung up on the infinitesimal chances of random debris crashing into Hong Kong, but that's only because it's more interesting from a moviemaking standpoint to have the spectacle of a big crash into a city than it is to have a crash into the ocean that no one even notices.

You can argue for or against the hostility of the aliens later in the film, but the clear intent of the filmmakers was that the Hong Kong crash was an accident, just as the...
    other piece of debris that crashed in Scotland was clearly an accident that barely left the alien(s) inside alive.

16. Aeolusdallas

There is no evidence of that.

17. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We see the impact in the movie. That wasn't a catastrophic hit. It wasn't a catastrophic anything. The debris missed the buildings and landed in the water with relatively little force.

18. Aeolusdallas

It did knock over a building and kill several thousand people. But still, that just makes it a really bad accident.

19. Locutus of Bored

Ummm, no.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJKkFVMIPv4[/yt]

20. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That scene is edited differently in the Hong Kong version.
    In the Hk version the debris narrowly misses the building.