X-Files Chronology

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Habs Fan, Jan 13, 2009.

1. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I'm watching the X-Files series for the first time and I understand that Millennium and the Lone Gunmen series take place in the same universe and that both shows have crossover episodes in the X-Files series.

Does anyone have a list or a link where they list all the episodes of X-Files, Millennium, and the Lone Gunmen in chronological order so I could watch all three series simultaneously as they take place?

Or do I just watch X-Files season 4 and then Millennium season 1, etc.?

Or is it better to watch Millennium and the Lone Gunmen after X-Files?

I would prefer not doing the third option as I like watching everything in chronological order (like I've done with Star Trek, Stargate, and Babylon 5/Crusade).

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Millennium doesn't really treat itself as a spin-off. As long as you see the Jose Chung episode in Millennium (second season) after the X-Files episode with Jose Chung, and finish the three seasons of Millennium before you see the X-Files episode "Millennium" (seventh season), you'll be all right.

The Lone Gunmen takes place at the same time as the eighth season of the X-Files, but, tonally, it's so different from the X-Files that I would watch season eight of the X-Files, and then watch the Lone Gunmen. Watching season nine after that will allow you to enjoy it as the both the final season of the X-Files and as a show with more than a few references to the short-lived Lone Gunmen series.

Marsden likes this.
  3. The Habs Fan

Thanks for the response! I didn't realize there were two Jose Chung episodes so I'll make sure to watch the X-Files one first.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't forget the first movie.

5. The Habs Fan

Does that take place between season 4 and 5 of X-Files?

6. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

^ It was mostly filmed between 4 & 5, but takes place (and was released) between 5 & 6

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Right, I had forgotten about the movie. Watch it in between season five and six. It's a good, if not great, transition between the Vancouver and Los Angeles years.

Another note about Millennium, though. The series is very dark, especially in the first year. Very, VERY dark. You might not want to watch a lot of episodes at once, so it might be easiest to alternate between the X-Files and Millennium.

The other thing about Millennium is that it changes significantly in intention and tone every season, especially in the second year (which, outside of a handful of episodes, I loathe). You should be aware of this from the get go, so it doesn't catch you by surprise.

8. The Habs Fan

I'll probably watch 1 disc of Millenium and then one disc of X-Files (and so on). The first season of Millennium and the 4th season of X-Files take place at around the same time right?

Thanks Hirogen Alpha and Ethros for your replies.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Yes, season four of the X-Files and season one of Millennium take place during the same time.

And because I love making silly lists...

X-Files 1
    X-Files 2
    X-Files 3
    X-Files 4/Millennium 1
    X-Files 5/Millennium 2
    X-Files Movie (AKA "Fight the Future")
    X-Files 6/Millennium 3
    X-Files 7
    X-Files 8
    The Lone Gunmen
    X-Files 9
    X-Files: I Want to Believe

Random_Spock likes this.
  10. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

The series "Homicide: Life On The Streets" is also in the same universe as the X-Files, because of a crossover episode in which featured Detective Munch. Which also puts all of the "Law and Order" shows in the X-Files universe as well because of crossovers with Homicide.

So to be complete, you need to watch all of those episodes of those shows as well. I can't help you with a chronology, though.

Set Harth and Random_Spock like this.
  11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Watching Homicide and Law and Order, and all the other series that John Munch appears on just because of a fun cameo in "The Unusual Suspects" would be patently absurd. Just stick to the Chris Carter shows, methinks.

12. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Psst ... I was just kidding.

Random_Spock likes this.
  13. The Habs Fan

lol...maybe next year...

Thanks for the list Hirogen Alpha

14. LigOFE

LigOFE Cadet Newbie

Don't forget The Wire is another one!! :D

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

This thread is a blast from the past!

Kor likes this.
  16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I actually liked Millennium better. Especially "The Mikado"

17. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I didn't even notice how old this was.

I was going to say, don't forget St. Elsewhere...

Yes, X-Files is part of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Westphall#The_Tommy_Westphall_Universe_Hypothesis

BTW, Homicide: Life on the Street was a great show, one of the best cop shows I've ever seen. Worth it for that reason alone.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Even though that list is 7 years old it still holds up today.

(AKA just ignore the last 6 episodes that are called season 10.) ;)

Kor likes this.
  19. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

If we're doing a real chronology, then someone should make a list of all the episodes that are remotely relevent to the ongoing plot, for those of us that would like a rewatch, but doesn't have time to watch 9 seasons. :)

20. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh look, dead thread necrophilia. :wtf:

Do you mean just the episodes having to do with the alien conspiracy? Those are the "mythology/mytharc" episodes. Here's a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology_of_The_X-Files#Episodes

I find the super soldier stuff toward the end of the series to be rather pointless, though.

Kor