Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - Review&Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 30, 2008.

?

Your grade for Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor aka Mummy 3

Poll closed Oct 28, 2008.
  1. A+

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. A

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. A-

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. B+

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  7. C+

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  9. C-

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  10. D+

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  11. D

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw it this past Monday, and thought it was pretty good. I liked they got some of the secondary actors back from the second film for this one. Overall, I liked it. Gave it a B+. Not the best movie I've ever seen, but certainly entertaining. And Brenden Fraiser still looks hot, as seen in the shirtless portion of the film. ;)

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It isn't that uncommon for actors to play characters younger or older than them. The actor who played adult Alex looks "young enough" for a movie world early-20s.

3. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thats the only problem. Evie looked liked she could be luke Fords mother.(she was 40 during filming) But Rick needed at least grey hair. That would have made it more believable. Maybe if there is another film they will address that.

4. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

My favorite scene!:drool:

5. Trekker4747

As a perfectly (Ok. Not "perfectly") hetero-male I, too, was impressed with him shirtless.

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

saw it today. i liked it. Bello's okay, but i really woulda preferred either Rachel back or no Evie at all.

overall it was a pretty decent pic, the Yetis were good, as was Li's 3-headed dragon form and the other beastie he becomes. liked the pilot 'Mad Dog'.

i give it an A- compared to A for the first and A- for the second (which was let down largely by the shitty Scorpion King FX at the end.)

7. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

C

I saw it today and was sorely dissapointed. The new Evie and Rick had ZERO chemistry. Rick looked the same age as his son. The plot wasn't all that I'd hoped it'd be. There were some good parts, but it fell so much more flatter than the first two films, which I loved.

Oh ya, shirtless Fraser :drool: Best part of the movie! :lol:

8. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw it this weekend, gave it a D. I LOVE the first two Mummy movies and I was pretty open to the idea of Cohen directing, and even the idea of recasting Evey.

And then the movie started, I couldn't help but keep thinking "this isn't the Mummy... it's far to serious, where's the humor? Where's the adventure? WHERE IS THE MUMMY!?

The Chinese setting never bothered me until I was actually in the movie theater, in fact I thought it'd be a smart idea to spice things up a bit. How wrong I was, I was surprised at how much I missed the Egyptian setting, missed Arnold Voslo, missed Oded Fehr, and boy did I miss Evey. It just wasn't charming at all.

One good thing did come of the movie though, I suddenly (despite previously being vehemently opposed to the idea) had a strong desire to see Brendan Fraser as Superman, maybe it was seeing him in the fedora, or the fact that he seems to have lost any "baby fat" he once had, but he seemed to have the right amount of maturity and likability.

Anyway, so yeah, it was such a loud, loud, loud disappointment.

EDIT: Also, Fraser apparently doesn't age.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  9. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

No he doesn't :lol: which was a big problem in the movie when his wife looked older than him and his son looked about the same age!

10. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I just got back from seeing it, I'd give it a C-, pretty mediocre really.
    It seemed incredibly try-hard. It seemed like it was trying to convince you it was a good film, rather than actually being one. I found some of the gags to be annoying rather than funny, and from the delivery of some of them, it seems the actors did too. Also Maria Bello's incredibly fake accent grated on me.

11. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

I just saw this last night (something to do with the kid). Nice movie, not too campy, and some subtle humor. Unlike the Star Wars prequels, this movie was a good end to the franchise.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This past weekend Mummy 3 domestically crossed the $100m mark and is on the cusp of $300m Worldwide.

Now while its listed as costing $145m to make and will be seen from a domestic B.O. perspective as dissapointing its possible that a Mummy 4 could still move ahead.

After revenue from DVD and cable rights the overall profit on the movie for the studio will be impactful.

13. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

I will stake money that any Mummy 4 movie will be a direct-to-DVD film.

14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw it. IMO, it's much better than M2, which I really loathe. The comedy is so broad (especially with Rick and Evy in England) that it often plays more like a parody of the first two than a serious sequel, but anything's better than "Evy's a reincarnated princess". Ugh.

Because of the reviews, I was ready for it to be worse than it was, and it certainly wasn't great. "Decent" is my verdict.

It moves so quickly, with so little regard for characters or story, that it has an oddly small feel to it in a way even Temple of Doom doesn't have.

And the sequel tease was probably the cheesiest and laziest movie ending I've ever seen. Text, superimposed on the last shot?! You've gotta be kidding me!

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The Return of the Mummy Thread!

16. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Aw, FF'sS!!! :rolleyes:

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just saw it again myself for the first time since it came out. It is a decent movie. It's not on the level of the first two but that's okay. It's light fun.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Bingo. I see this same statment all the time about the 'net. When are people going to trust their own instinct and see movies they want to see. If your gut has you curious then go.

The FRAK with critics.

Now go on, see Wolverine or Terminator if you want. Don't wait a year cause some critics or a minority of fanboys is moaning about them.

19. Trekker4747

[​IMG]

It also happens to be an irony thread.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't think a minority is moaning about the last two. Some people think Wolverine is okay, but a lot of people (including every single one of my friends) think Terminator is crap.

I also really didn't like the last Mummy movie. There was absolutely no character development, and I think the absence of Rachel Weiss really hurt it. She was the main reason I liked the first two movies.