The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Today at worked we received the first copy of TNG-R's sample BluRay.

While I'm still not sold on TOS-R I am somewhat intrigued by TNG-R because it looks like they're just enhancing what is already there rather than making wholesale changes. Come Season 1 being released I might pick it up.

2. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

That's exactly what they're doing. Re-compositing the original effects footage with modern techniques and only replacing with CGI when they absolutely have to.

3. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't upgraded to Blu-Ray yet, but having recently rewatched TNG season one I have to admit that this is really hooking me in. It could be the 'killer app' that finally makes me upgrade. One of the big problems with TNG in its early seasons is that it looks awful. Far worse than even TOS. It lacks definition, the focus is always so soft. I seen it described on another forum as being "shot in murk-o-vision", and that isn't far from the truth. :lol: The couple of shots / footage I've seen online of the remastered "Encounter At Farpoint" have however really got me salivating for this. For really the first time ever, TNG's early seasons are going to look absolutely gorgeous!

As for issues regarding the first season as a whole, I still love it for the most part. As Jonathan Frakes once said, there's a real drive to it, a freshness that only comes at the beginning of a television show. There's the feeling that they're still prodding at the format to see where it will go, but with that comes the genuine feeling of them taking risks with things. Some of those risks didn't pay off, but when they did they were sublime. Episodes like "1001001" or "The Arsenal Of Freedom" can easily hold themselves up there with the best of Star Trek, in my opinion. :)

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

If I was there when it was recording, you could bet I was cutting out commericals!

RAMA

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Obviously, its because TOS-R is HD and STNG was shot on analog, then digital videotape...When we see the great photography of season one on bluray i think we'll be amazed.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Have there been any new HD pics? I never get tired of seeing those.

7. Biffette

Biffette Captain Captain

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-Season-1-Extras/16943

Whoo-hoo! Street date July 24th, and a theatrical screening! No MSRP yet.

Oh man, Datalore, I never get tired of that episode. Although, I guess I've never gotten tired of any TNG episode. Ever.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Wow 600 theater theatrical release!! Sweet!!

RAMA

9. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

So, only 2 seconds out of the entire season one (which is 19 hours, 43 minutes long). That's pretty good. Course, I wish it was zero!

10. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Blink and you'd miss it. I gave up being a perfectionist long ago.

Play is now listing season 1 at £50.99 on preorder - cheaper than Amazon.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

So what happens if they find the missing footage while they're working on season 6 or 7? Two seconds is no big deal, but y'can be sure we're gonna get more missing footage as we go on.

If these are for posterity, they should re-release later if the footage is found. Yeah, I know...I'm a dreamer. :)

12. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I doubt they'll re-release them. These will be the new masters, flaws and all, forever more (or until they need a new 4k print).

Two seconds, though. Wow, I doubt anyone will even notice. I wonder what it is. Does somebody with more time than sense want to scan through the episode on DVD and look for shots that last two seconds? There can't be that many! :p

13. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can live with two seconds if and when I ever buy the set, but I suppose if they ever find the lost footage, they could always issue a replacement disc or sell the disc on it's own at minimal cost as they did with the teaser.

14. Maxwell Everett

Two seconds is pretty quick for an average shot in TNG. I would say look for an action scene in the episode... I guess that would be when Data is dodging and firing back at the laser security system in Manheim's lab.

Of course it could also be a quick insert during a talking scene too.

EDITED TO ADD:

This shot here is just over 2 seconds:

[​IMG]

Could be anything, really!

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

All in the U.S. though! :klingon:

Why am I not moving to NYC a few weeks earlier? :wah:

16. Maxwell Everett

I don't think you'd be missing much. It's probably one of those terrible Fathom events where they use the dim, uncalibrated, consumer-grade projector that displays ads before feature films.

17. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would guess the 2 seconds will be updated when the syndication/streaming rights are sold. But you're right, I doubt they will release a new Blu Ray set. The only chance of a correction is if they release a complete series set.

18. groundhog

groundhog Lieutenant Red Shirt

:( Still, you want these to be archival-quality. Not a deal-breaker (still eagerly awaiting the preorder, where is it??), but not happy news.

19. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

Oh get a grip on yourself! This is less than 0.003%. That is such a minute imperfection I'm sure no one would have ever noticed if they hadn't publicised it themselves. Which to me means one of two things. Either they are bragging over this amazing feat or CBS is the most honest enterprise in the history of media (which I doubt).

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^I'm positive someone would have noticed the 2 seconds of upconverted material. This is trekkies we're talking about after all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.