Description of the teaser trailer...SPOILERS, Dude

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's interesting, seems to undermine GR's own statements to the contrary on the matter... which I find mmm ironic - of course GR disowned the animated series - I'm pretty indifferent about it myself found much of it fun and cheesy even but fun nonetheless.

Bits of the animated series have found there way into "canon" in one form or another at times. I chock this up to being one of those times. Wonder if April's words will find their way into the movie in some form? I can see Pike maybe alluding to this in some way.

Sharr

2. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, he does say "unit components," which can be interpreted as parts of it were built on land, while as has been discussed to death above, the final assemblies and the fitting out were done in space.

As far as atmospheric flight goes, Christopher's F-104 tops out at about 75,000 feet. So the Enterprise was quite low in the atmosphere, but obviously not so low that it couldn't escape.

I'm racking my brain, but isn't the bird of prey in TSFS and TVH the first true starship we see in controlled flight deep in the atmosphere? So apparently flying a starship around the sky CAN be done. At least with that particular ship.

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

By in-show chronology, NX-01 would probably be the first. She never had any problem maneuvering in an atmosphere; altitudes down to a couple of hundred feet were shown.

By in-show technobabble, there's no particular reason why starships couldn't fly in an atmosphere. Or under water. Or through solid rock for that matter. If they can take impulse accelerations and disruptor blasts, they should have no problem whatsoever hovering steadily in a gale above a planet that has a couple of hundred times Earth's gravity.

However, the shape of NCC-1701 isn't conductive of landings or takeoffs. Which is why I like the way they did it in Brad Ferguson's A Flag Full of Stars, with the TOS saucer refitted for TMP on the ground and flown under her own power to the secondary hull which stayed in space the whole time. The original TOS saucer could have been flown up that way, too - although it sounds a bit odd that they would build the nacelles in the same place and tow those up to orbit as well.

As for references to San Francisco yards, those could be on Andoria for all we know. It's just a name, folks. It's not as if Earth Station McKinley sits atop Mount McKinley, either. Or as if Columbia Pictures studios are located in Columbia. Probably the SF Yards have facilities all over the Sol system, although not necessarily in San Francisco itself.

Timo Saloniemi

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Re: Description of the teaser trailer...

I've now SEEN the trailer... and it's wonderful!

SPOILER warning if you follow that link to my blog.

5. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic

Wow, I can't wait to see that!!!!! And I don't care one bit whether the Enterprise was built on Earth or in orbit. In the end, it doesn't matter at all.

6. MisterPL

MisterPL Commander Red Shirt

So long as the ship has a big "Made in USA" emblem painted on its bumper, I don't care where it was assembled.

(An Apple logo is also acceptable.)

7. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^
    So much for a united earth star fleet?

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

By unionized labor!

9. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Loook, FOOOOORRR... The Starfleet LAAAABelll.... "

10. MisterPL

MisterPL Commander Red Shirt

Well I don't know what the hell "un-ionized" labor is. You Trekkies and your technobabble. :rolleyes: