Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Magneto couldn't or was pretending that he couldn't fly in the beginning... Is that right?

In flash backs I know he flew away with tall hat Nazi gold he stole off Strucker 20 years before the founding of the X-Men, but Claremont didn't have to worry about continuity when he wrote that... There was also another prequel/parallel story I read once where Magneto and Charles were having a conversation during that fight about how much/little he thought of Xaviers students. It was all for show. An introduction.

And really, Magneto was trying to recruit, becuase what's the point of making a mutant nation if you only have 5 mutants in your brotherhood?

That was the taking over of a small south American Country?

Good lord, Magneto can't have been bringing anything close to his A game if Toad was riding Shot Gun.

It's almost like he thought the X-Men sucked, and collected an equivilent counterforce to enforce the nature of fair play and zero sum.

Does anyone think that Toad and Paige Guthry getting it on (In Wolverine and the X-Men) is kind of grotty becuase he's a decade at least older than she is, and TOAD?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes the Toad and Paige story line is pretty icky, but then it's supposed to be.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

X-Men 8. Now who will stop Unus the Untouchable?

4. Guy Gardener

Until Paige, I thought that Toad was Untouchable Too.

He spent his first half dozen appearances hitting the Scarlet Witch, i have no idea why magneto or Quicksilver didn't castrate him, even though continuity wise it's dodgy as to whether Eric knew those two where his children.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Cassady's lateness is a known factor.

I think the blame lays in the editor who gave him the gig despite this. Bet it was the same genius who put Marc Silvestri on Aaron's Hulk.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I was talking about X-Men #1 when Magneto, all by himself, takes over a US Military Base. He makes his escape by flying away and magnetically pinning the entire X team to the ground.

7. Admiral_Young

8. Guy Gardener

Magnetically pinning them to the ground?

Methinks it would have been just as easy to turn them inside out or magnetically pin them to outter space.

9. Nerys Myk

Killing off the title characters in issue #1 would be a pretty unique move. Somehow I doubt Lee and Kirby wanted to go in that direction, though.;)

It did answer the flying or no flying question you asked. And he was shown to be pretty powerful in that story. Launching missiles, tossing around platoons of soldiers, erecting a magnetic force field around the entire base and attempting to murder the X-men at every turn.

10. Guy Gardener

Pretending to attempt to murder.

150 issues later he skuttles a Russian submarine effortlessly.

Don't you love it when Sue Richards gets pissed off now and then and says screw convention and fair play and starts growing invisible forcefields inside her opponents minds.

11. Nerys Myk

So he pretended to engulf the X-Men in the flames of a rocket fuel explosion? Including gloating about their deaths?

He was pretty effortlessly launching missiles and tossing around heavy machinery back in issue one.

12. Guy Gardener

He couldn't make their training day seem too easy.

What Stan was writing is probably what you read, but really how many years did it take before Eric pulled Logan's skeleton out of his body?

Standards of evil, definitions of evil changed over the years... And personally, I like the stories where the bad guy is just committed rather than mental.

13. Nerys Myk

How hard could pulling Logan's skeleton out be? It metal. It pretty much asking to be pulled out.

Magneto was't shown to be mental back then. He was quite committed to grounding the humans beneath the heel of homo superior.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, I thought Age of Ultron was supposed to be the finale of Bendis' Avengers run, and now it's just constantly put into the future?

15. Admiral_Young

Bendis' final arc of "Avengers" is happening right now. Age of Ultron was made an event earlier this year. I personally had thought it was going to be Bendis "Avengers" grand finale but that does not appear to be the case.

Magneto ripped Logan's adamantium because he finally snapped. This was one of the triggers that ultimately led to the creation of Onslaught. He also prior to this unleashed an electromagnetic pulse burst after the UN activated the Magneto protocols. Not really sure why we're talking about Erik's level of bad assery right now...

16. Guy Gardener

We're trying to figure out how much he was holding back in X-Men #1.

Because Apocalypse and Mr Sinister are going to cream themselves when they see that there's a blank slate Scott Summers and Jean Grey on the table... But then Apocalypse was pisspore in his first outting back in an early episode of X-Factor too.

If these X-Kids are from the Year One, is it true to type to have them act even a fraction as powerful and competent as their modern day equivalents?

In the legion cartoon a couple years ago, the legion was really underwhelmed by Superboy because they'd spent their lives reading about Superman.

17. Admiral_Young

I doubt they will be as powerful as their present day counterparts...although it's Bendis so who knows, maybe they will. "All New" still feels like a waste of time to me frankly. I thought the first issue was pretty average, not quite the train wreck that I expected it to be, the concept also feels like it should be for a mini-series and not an ongoing.

18. Nerys Myk

Magneto doesn't come across as holding back in X-Men #1, no matter what the recons might claim.

Well they obviously wouldn't have the experience. Though they would have the training. Almost every issue of X-Men from the era the kids are from features a training session on the Danger Room. In their first 10 issues they fought Magneto,Vanisher, the Brotherhood, the Blob, Unus, Namor, the Avengers ( the original line) and Ka-Zar. They got experienced pretty fast.

19. Admiral_Young

I think issue four of All New has Mystique attempting to hunt them down. That should be an interesting encounter.

20. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i dunno about Magneto holding back but there were a lot of odd things in those early issues. well, odd with current continuity in mind. like Professor X saying that he was the first mutant for one thing.