Taylor Swift - Why The Hate? Pt II

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Taylirious, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She is harmless!!! Why do people hate on her? She isn't Miley Cyrus doing ridiculous stunts, she isn't Justin Bieber breaking laws! She does no wrong and seems like a positive influence. She can't sing? She can. She isn't talented. She is. She is ugly. No, she is quite beautiful. :adore: I love her and don't get the hate. :shrug:

Her personal life is her's. She does sing about it but I don't judge. People slut shaming her is awful. Ugh.

/rant

:p

2. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

The way I see it, she's hated because like mos of her pop contemporaries, she really isn't saying anything musically. As Marvin Gaye put it when he talked about why he made What's Going On:

Taylor Swift's a nice gal, but she needs to sing about something other than falling in love; Gaye came to this catharsis after Kent State, saying 'The prospect of singing songs about the moon and June didn't appeal to me anymore.' That same kind of thing needs to happen with Perry, Bieber, and a couple of others (Lorde and Lily Allen have already painted the way with their songs, in particular Allen's song Fuck You [Very Much] from 2009 and Lorde's song 'Royals' about pushing opulence in people face's during a economic downturn-these are the kind of songs that Swift should be singing.)

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

4. Taylirious

Maybe the next album.

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I neither like nor dislike her. I've never heard her music, and don't really care about it. But I do think she's quite beautiful, so I enjoy looking at her. But I wouldn't care if she retired into obscurity tomorrow.

6. Taylirious

I heard her music before seeing her and liked her music. :shrug: I like a lot of stuff that sucks. :rommie:

anti-matter likes this.
  7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

My wife likes her music.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I admit I find it more than a little amusing how she's turned her exes into fodder for song lyrics. Although John Mayer wouldn't agree...

9. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got no strong opinions one way or the other. The only song of hers I'll go out of my way to listen to is her collaboration with The Civil Wars, but I won't turn her music off either.

10. Nerys Myk

Why would that be amusing? Song writers do it all the time.

11. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Swift slut shames plenty in her own songs. She perpetuates the stereotype that anyone who isn't a perfect virginesque girl like herself is a loose woman who is not to be trusted. And she does this all the time. Hell, it practically her persona. Don't get me wrong, she has some catchy songs, but the lyrics behind them are mundane always and morally questionable often.

12. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I liked her first song or two, but then she won several awards and I was completely irritated that a child singing love songs was getting so much attention. I blame getting older. As I begin exiting my twenties I seem to dislike teenagers on principle. :lol:

13. Mr. Laser Beam

I'm sure they do. But it's still funny. :lol:

But let's stir-fry an idea in the think wok: Would you date Taylor, if you knew for a fact she would make fun of you in a song once you broke up? Think about it. ;)

14. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

Robert said it best, but she also sounds like a dog that got het nut slammed in the door when she sings, that and it's always slamming her ex-love or relationship! Really, try a new gimick to sell your music!

15. Nerys Myk

It would be the least of my worries.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Didn't John Mayer actually write a rebuttal to "Dear John"? That'd be interesting to hear.

17. Taylirious

Maybe listen to ALL her music before making such statements. Just a thought. :lol: I don't see what you see. :shrug:

18. Nerys Myk

My knowledge of John Mayer's oeuvre is less than my knowledge of Taylor Swift's.

19. Taylirious

"Paper Doll"

:wtf:

20. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I consider her music to be fluff, and nothing more. I've had nothing against her in the past, though Robert Maxwell raises some very valid issues with her music.