Avengers plot rumour - possible spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by captcalhoun, May 20, 2010.

1. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Comic Book Movie are claiming the Skrulls will be the antagonists in The Avengers, manipulating Hulk in the same kinda way Loki did back in Avengers #1. Apparently, they're operating on the down-low and not doing the full-on invasion. Possibly the plot for Avengers 2?

Sounds like they're mixing up Avengers #1 with the plot for The Ultimates which had the shape-shifting slimebags covertly operating on Earth before later out-right attacking...

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

If that's true, they need a Jennifer Garner cameo.

3. captcalhoun

what, as Elektra?

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Yep.

[​IMG]

Best. Plot. Twist. EVER!

5. captcalhoun

whilst i'd love jen to return as Elektra (i liked her movie and Daredevil) it won't happen cuz Fox have the rights to her...

saying that, i would've thought the Skrulls would be part of the F4 rights...

6. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I'm skeptical; from what I've seen, it seems like they're going to use Loki as the main villain, as he was in Avengers #1.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just because Loki was in Avengers #1 doesn't mean they're obliged to follow that in the movie. The first FANTASTIC FOUR movie didn't feature the Mole Man. The first SPIDER-MAN movie didn't have him fighting the Chameleon. The first BATMAN movie wasn't an adaptation of "The Case of the Chemical Syndicate"--which was the first published Batman story. The first X-MEN movie didn't feature Angel and the Beast and Iceman . . . .

Like every other superhero movie, they'll probably cherry-pick from decades of comic books to find whatever works best for the movie.

8. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I remember right, the Skrulls first appeared in an issue of Fantastic Four; and that makes them derivative of the Fantastic Four license. As such, the Skrull physical appearance and name would belong to Fox unless some kind of arrangement was made.

Of course, this doesn't stop Marvel Studios from using an alien shape shifter invasion as part of The Avengers movie plot; they just couldn't call them Skrull.

9. Greg Cox

"Beware the Dire Wraiths!"

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the Skrulls would be owned by the FF franchise which is owned by FOX. No way.

11. Greg Cox

Maybe the Space Phantoms?

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I might be mistaken, but wasn't it reported that Hugo Weaving was going to be the Red Skull in both Captain America and Avengers?

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd not be surprised if we saw a mixing of the 616 origin and the second Ultimates arc...we've seen snippets of the Ultimate universe in the movie verse since "Spider-Man"...the younger Venom, Eddie Brock Jr.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't recall Avengers. Cap, yes. Its late and I'm about to go to bed or else I'd google or hit the Cap film thread to check.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hugo Weaving has been confirmed only so far for "Captain America" as far as I know.

16. captcalhoun

maybe they'll pull the Ultimates trick and call them the Chitauri and mention the 'Skrulls' as one of their names among others.

17. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Who says the Skrulls are F4 exclusive characters, though ? Surely it would be very clear what characters and concepts are included when Fox purchased the rights ?

18. captcalhoun

apparently not. i was reading something (forget where) where it mentioned that even Marvel's not entirely sure what's covered under what licences as they were looking to develop a Black Panther movie. is he a separate character or is he a part of F4 where he originated?

and where would Quicksilver fall? X-Men where he debuted? or the Avengers where he spent a lot of time?

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Quicksilver's a good example. It looks like the X-Men movies (and so Fox) claimed him by having him show up in Wolverine.

If that's the case, if it's a matter of first come first served, then the F4 movies haven't used the Skrulls so they're fair game.

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The first few issues of Avengers gives them plots to work with: Kang, the Masters of Evil, Loki...

It's possible that Quicksilver showed up in the very first X-Men movie as well: That kid running over the water, could've been doing it because he was running fast.