Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 11, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

58.6%
  2. Above Average

32.9%
  3. Average

5.7%
  4. Below Average

1.4%
  5. Poor

1.4%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

2. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

Judging by the sneak previews and the promo from last week, this episode look pretty good.

3. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do we know what the centricity of this one is? I read spoilers casually but I don't know who it's about yet, if anyone.

EDIT: I should add too: I'm loving this season but one of the things I miss are episodes that are clearly "somebody's." You could argue that "The Lie" and "The Little Prince" were Hurley's and Kate's respectively but it's just not the same.

4. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I don't know if you can say that the episodes all even have centricities anymore. Who was the featured character in "Because You Left", for example?

5. Agent Richard07

^ A lot of people are saying that the show isn't character-centric anymore, but according to statements made by the show runners, the writers and a few actors, the episodes are still character-centric. We may not have flashbacks throughout the episode anymore, but so far, 3 out of the 4 aired episodes have had a single flashback at the beginning of the teaser with the featured character.

As for who's episode this is, I don't know, and neither does any online source I could find, which is a first. In fact, the two people who wrote this one have said in a recent interview that it's hard to tell who's epsiode it is. The banners I make are supposed to indicate who's episode it is, but I had to put "The Losties" there because of the lack of information, and under the assumption that this one, like the season premiere isn't going to focus on a single character. When I was digging around though, it was assumed that this would be a "Charlotte" or a "Rousseau" episode. Also, Daniel Dae Kim has been making the rounds, doing a lot of interviews and press, so I also got to thinking that this could be a "Jin & Sun" episode. Guess we'll find out tonight.

6. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

It could be a Jin without Sun episode too.

7. Agent Richard07

True, but I was thinking that we'd have Sun's vendetta played against Jin being alive on the island. That would make it a "Jin & Sun" episode. Plus, as the show progressed, the Jin/Sun episodes have been about both of them together.

8. brianbeercan

brianbeercan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It could be argued that the premiere was Faraday centric, as he did (albeit briefly) appear in the initial flashback. Although the remainder of the episode wasn't overtly centered on him, he probably had more screen time and interesting things to do than anybody else.

9. Agent Richard07

^ Every source I've seen agrees that the season premiere was multi-centric. We've had a few of those before.

As for the seasons 1 - 3 format with the flashbacks, I suspect that the show will return to that once the Oceanic 6 are back on the island. We still have backstories that can't easily be explored without them, like Desmond's time in prison, Libby's story, and the three years the Oceanic 6 were off the island. I think that a big part of why we don't have regular flashbacks now is because the action is already split up enough between the mainland and crash survivors in different timelines.

10. DeafPoet

Yeah. It was kind of all over the place. I'd make an argument that it was Sawyer's hour though.

11. Agent Richard07

I agree with you DeafPoet, young Rousseau is hot. ;)

- Above Average.

- Great episode, lots of stuff. We didn't get enough of Rousseau's background, so I hope they can work that in at some point, and I think they will.

- I knew Locke would be burried alive once another time shift hit.

- I really want to know what's up with Dr. Sheppard. Looked like he was there in the flesh. Was he resurrected by the island somehow? If so, that still doesn't account for how he knows what he knows. Can't wait to find out more. Theories are welcome.

12. DeafPoet

Fucking Excellent!

Way better than the somewhat disappointing "The Little Prince." There were answers. There was drama. Shit twined up. I can't say enough good things.

Also, I think to answer the above questions, if this was anyone's episode it was Jin's. We shoulda seen that one coming.

13. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Above Average. I thought this was a very good episode, even though it's getting hard to understand what they're trying to do. Nice to see more of Rousseau's backstory and the return of Jin into the group. His reunion with Sawyer was cool. Poor Charlotte.

14. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent... 'nuff said. :D
    [​IMG]

15. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

There really isn't much more to flesh out about her though, we know why and how she killed her people, what the smoke monster did, and that she had seen it.

The only thing really left to see is Ben taking her baby and calling it his own.

16. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I had to go with Excellent. Not only was this one one of the fastest hours of Lost but they also tied in some stuff from season 1. Continuity is a big plus. Seeing Lostzilla, the ruins, Christian - just too much good stuff.

It's going to be tough getting to sleep tonight but I have to try. I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts tomorrow.

17. Agent Richard07

I'm actually concerned about Locke's leg. :eek:

18. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is the best episode since The Constant. I wasn't shocked or saddened by Charlotte's death. I really don't understand what the point of her character is or will be. Other than that, great stuff, and one of Lost's finest endings.

19. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing the Island will use Charlotte in the future like everyone else dead in peoples lives.

20. Agent Richard07

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of.

That reminds me... I couldn't help but laugh when whatshisface said "I'm hurt!" after he was dragged into the ground by the smoke monster.

That was an understatement. His arm was gone. :lol: