Comics consistent with the Litverse?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Skywalker, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Hey everyone. So I've been steadily working my way through the Litverse over the past couple of years, but now that I'm close to getting caught up with the novels I've begun wondering which Trek comics there are out there that are consistent with the Litverse. I'm pretty sure some Litverse characters have appeared in the comics, and vice versa, but I don't know which. Would any of you be willing to help? I'd love to track at least some of these down and add them to my collection. Thanks!

2. Ben

Ben Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The New Frontier comics written by PAD (I think there was just a one-shot and a mini-series) are consistent with the New Frontier novels written by PAD.

3. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

The DS9/TNG crossover Divided We Fall features Vaughn and Shar; I think the events of the comic are mentioned in Trill: Unjoined.

4. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

There's also Perchance to Dream, which introduces Ra'ch B'ullhy and the Damiani, who show up in the novel 'verse; the events of the comic series are referenced more than once.

The Gorn Crisis is also referenced quite frequently.

On a lesser note, a group introduced in Alien Spotlight: Andorians became part of the Andorian political ecosystem in the novels, so quite possibly that comic is included. (I've got it on my Chronological run-through list).

5. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

There was a DS9 comic - N Zone or something? - that was part of the DS9 relaunch post season 7.

6. Skywalker

Good stuff so far guys, thanks. I'm currently making a list so I can do some shopping. :D

I totally forgot Peter David did a New Frontier comic, that's definitely going on my list. Are Early Voyages and Starfleet Academy consistent with the Litverse? And if I remember right, Nogura appeared in some comics back in the early '90s, but I'm not sure if he's been in any more recent ones.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

As I've mentioned before, I borrowed the name of Gary Seven's alien sponsors, "The Aegis," from a DC Comics TREK comic by Howard Weinstein.

Seemed silly to invent a new name when the comics had already established a perfectly good one.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The comics Keith DeCandido has written for IDW, Alien Spotlight: Klingons and Captain's Log: Jellico, are consistent with the litverse. Conversely, some characters introduced in Klingons: Blood Will Tell, also from IDW, have been mentioned in prose.

Not entirely, though both have introduced characters that were later adopted by the novels (Chief Engineer Moves With Burning Grace and Pava ek'Noor sh'Aqabaa, respectively -- plus Seekers has mentioned the Lirin species introduced in EV). Early Voyages conflicts with Burning Dreams on Captain Pike's parentage and backstory, but it has some storylines that don't conflict with the novels. I referenced its version of the Rigel VII incident in Tower of Babel. As for Academy, I don't recall too many of its details, but I have the impression that it does have some conflicts with the novels. (I keep meaning to reread it.)

9. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

However, a few details seem to have entered novel 'verse continuity Broad Strokes-style. In Mission Gamma: Cathedral, Nog references (in internal monologue) Talos IV as a planet he's visited. This does seem to fit with dialogue in Q and A which all but confirms that the quarantine has to some extent been lifted, which might be taken, should we wish, as evidence of the Talosian contact with Nog and his buddies?

Of course, if we don't accept any of the Academy plots in the broadest sense, the Talos IV detail is rather bizarre.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Although Pike's Chief Engineer tends to shift from book to book. As far as I know, Caitlin Barry from VULCAN'S GLORY and THE RIFT is the only one who has appeared in two novels so far.

11. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

N-Vector, I believe. It introduces Tiras Jast, the Bolian Starfleet officer who Vaughn replaced in Avatar after her death. I kinda wish more had been done with her. Though I don't think much else from that comic has been referenced - at one point, I believe O'Brien is briefly brought back to DS9 for concern of him having something to do with sabotage?

I think a lot of the comics from the later publishers, some of the later era DC comics, the Marvel comics, the Wildstorm, and at least some of the IDW comics are, if not entirely compatible, then at least something that could be referenced or included, at least in broad strokes.

12. Christopher

Wasn't the ban lifted in Burning Dreams, though? Sometime around 2320, I think? If it was still in effect at the time of the comic, that would be a conflict.

But Grace's role in the novelverse is as the chief engineer of the SCE ship Lovell. Although Burning Dreams does establish him as having been Pike's engineer in the past.

13. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Note though, that Klingons: Blood Will Tell gives Arne Darvin's real name as Gralmek and depicts him as naturally born HemQuch while Myriad Universes - Honor in the Night names him Krek and states that he was born a QuchHa'.

Wildstorm's comics in general mesh well with the novelverse.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  14. Christopher

^Well, yeah -- we've already established there are comics that have lent characters and ideas to the novels despite having conflicts with them.

Still, most of Blood Will Tell was narrated in flashback by various characters. Maybe some of their accounts were less accurate or truthful than others.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Copy/Pasted from post 10 of "Charting the Novelverse"...

16. Christopher

Although, by its very nature, there's not really any continuity among those stories. And TLG isn't like other MyrU-branded tales in that it's the result of time travel rather than a spontaneous alternate history.

17. Skywalker

I didn't even think to check the Charting the Novelverse thread. :alienblush:

18. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What book was the group referenced in, Nasat?

19. Christopher

^Paths of Disharmony.

20. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

With "New Frontier" there are the two comics: "Double Time" was the first, and takes place in the first part of the series, just before the Gateways story line, and moved the series forward by a year and a half to just after DS9's finale and the end of the Dominion War, and re-introduced Lieutenant M'ress and Arex from the Animated series into the 24th century continuity. Then there was the second comic from a few years ago that was set during the second half of the series. Basically the two New Frontier comics contain plot points that affect the rest of the series, since the series and the comics were written by Peter David and he just continued the storyline through both.