Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I forgot DeConnick and Fraction are married.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaunching Fantastic Four with a #1 reeks of a collapse in confidence on the book, you just did this not 20issues ago.

Same for Captain Marvel....trying very, very hard to make her work, forcing the public to make her an A-list character. She's becoming the female Punisher as far as revolving door of titles.

I miss when titles had some prestige in their numbering, a legacy to them.
    The industry took the piss on that, desensitizing new readers(of which I'm not convinced is that vast) and alienating a lot of older ones.

At least a lot of those are characters that haven't had a shot in awhile so a #1 is justified such as Elektra, She-Hulk(walters), New Warriors, Black Widow, Ghost Rider, Inhumans and Invaders.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Speedball is trying to get the band back together in Nova.

Here's the weird thing, Nova doesn't know who the frakk Speedball is despite Robbie being raked by the press for the death of 600 civilians in Stamford, the poster child for Super hero registration and the ignition of civil war... Which marvel time was all but months ago.

Kids are idiots.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah I found it pretty hard to believe that he never heard of Speedball. Speedball was the Osama Bin Laden of the Marvel Universe briefly.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty certain that was Captain America. Speedball was more the Mohammed Atta of superheroes.

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So Speedball is back to being Speedball and not spike-y, leather-y, angsty, whatever his name was post-Civil War? When they tried to make him all 90's cool, discounting that it was the 2000's?

7. Guy Gardener

Penance had his place.

Wikipedia says "Speedball" has been on the teaching staff at Avengers Academy since 2010.

8. Admiral_Young

Marvel seems to not know what to do with FF since Hickman concluded his run.

9. Guy Gardener

I like the lost in time stuff... But then you have to turn everything upside down to explain Susan in the Age of Ultron of Reed in the Avengers. "Time-Radio" drawing the FF's momentary attention so that they come home early, without knowing that they are lost and never come back, even though they are only supposed to be gone for 4 minutes.

Alex Power working for Doom is interesting.

10. Hound of UIster

Well they probably shouldn't have removed Hickman so quickly from FF/Fantastic Four. His Avengers/NA is interesting, but not nearly as good as his run on Fantastic Four.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i think Fractions run on FF has been really great.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I dropped the Fraction pretty swiftly. After JMS then Mark Millar then Hickman, it's pretty hard to find someone who can maintain that level.

I wish Hickman had stayed on FF instead of Avengers. While his Avengers run is interesting, his cold intellectual fun-less style doesn't really work for the premiere Marvel book.

13. Hound of UIster

His New Avengers was actually very interesting. But it looks like he is off the book.

14. Admiral_Young

I haven't read anything about Hickman being off New Avengers. I was under the impression that Avengers World would be a companion piece to both his other titles.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Some major events in the new issues of Avengers and New Avengers, to the point where I'm shocked this isn't in the Infinity book. Particularly since the entirety of last issue was just Thor tossing a hammer through somebody!

Major movements in Superior Spider-Man as well. Horizon Labs gets destroyed, Ock is fired from them, and Spidey 2099 is here to stay. And Ock no longer has access to Peter's memories! Not to mention the closing cliffhanger! Nice to see such large consequences to what seemed to be a one-off crossover story.

16. Guy Gardener

I forgot comics came out today.

Which is why I thought you were talking crazy.

(And Spoilers!)

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Uncanny X-Men #13 (chapter 8 of Battle of the Atom).

What an incomprehensible mess.

There are dynamics at play that I simply don't understand because the story still hasn't explained them. What's at stake still hasn't been explained, and the motivations of the future characters are still cryptic. There's a fight that doesn't make sense because Chris Bachalo's panel layouts are baffling. And I really really really don't see Jean Grey, no matter what she's been through, dropping f-bombs like that.

Suffice it to say, I won't be continuing with the X-books after Battle of the Atom. I'm going to stick it out the final two chapters of this crossover in the hope that there's a payoff, though I'm increasingly doubtful that there will be.

18. Guy Gardener

Xavier used to telepathically bleep all language stronger than pg13.

There was no point in even trying to swear, because bald brother was always watching.

Actually taking this a step further, I can imagine Jean and Scot trying to play Doctor at the age of 17 only to find out that the other's sex doodads appear pixelated to the other.

Although considering the burgeoning state of the mutant race, you would think that Xaviers would welcome unwanted teen pregnancies?

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

We know Xavier was having pervvy thoughts about Jean from the whole Onslaught mess!

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Xavier's pervy thoughts towards Jean date all the way back to, like, X Men 4.