Albums bands might've wished they hadn't made.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by voggmo, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ram it down? There's some decent tracks on there. Hard as Iron, Ram it Down, Heavy Metal, Blood Red Skies... Turbo is way worse.

2. Nerdius Maximus

I like At War with Satan. And as for Garage Inc, I was just grateful that they re-released the songs from the original Garage Days ep. As far as the new stuff, the Mercyful Fate medley was cool.

3. Nerdius Maximus

I actually like the Ultimate Sin. I bought it on vinyl not too long ago. The cover alone is a kickass addition to my vinyl collection. (Which can be seen here if anyone's interested.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoGOzZ_yfg

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Be Here Now wasn't exactly a critical darling upon its release, and given the higher-than-normal (for Oasis) level of turmoil and chaos during the recording sessions, I'm not surprised that the band would much rather ignore its existence completely.

Personally, I thought the album was just loud, obnoxious and utterly forgettable.

5. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I like it too. I bought all the new Ozzy remasters in disc a few year ago and I was bummed that TUS didn't get the same treatment. :(

I agree, Turbo was WAY worse than Ram it Down. Of course, compared to Painkiller, RID was some garbage as well.

6. Nerdius Maximus

Ultimate Sin is out of print. You can still find it at any music store, but no new pressings are being made. As far as the remasters, I think it's a travesty that they had the bass and drums rerecorded for the first two albums simply to avoid paying royalties to Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake. Especially since Bob Daisley wrote all the lyrics that Ozzy takes credit for.

7. Nerdius Maximus

I've got tickets to see Priest in August. I can't wait.

8. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

I know. I have it. I just wanted the remaster too, since they did all the others.

I agree completely. That was a highly fucked up deal. I think Sharon was behind it, honestly. I think she's the Devil Incarnate.

Come to think of it, actually, I think I vastly prefer the sound on the original recordings too in this case.

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

She did endorse Harold Saxon, remember. :)

10. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

I should check this forum more often. Hard core Purple fan that I am, I'd have hated to have missed this discussion.

Fireball is easily my second favorite DP album. I agree it's not as accessible as Machine Head but it's very musically diverse and interesting and has some great tunes and some of Gillan's best lyrics. Big Ian isn't the only one in the band who likes the album, by the way. Jon Lord has had nice things to say about it too.

I think Who Do We Think We Are, Stormbringer, and Come Taste The Band are strong, respectable albums. The album DP should regret (if they don't already) is Slaves and Masters, but even that has a few good tracks on it ("Cut Runs Deep" springs immediately to mind).

Other possibilities:

Black Sabbath Technical Ecstasy
    Kiss Asylum
    Rush Caress of Steel

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

In hindsight, I actually rather like The Elder, but agree that it wasn't the best choice they could've made commercially.

12. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

The Beatles - Get Back

True, this later turned into Let It Be which was pretty great, but at the time that they scrapped it they were probably pretty sorry they had decided to go in that direction.

13. mrcoaster

mrcoaster Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watch those triple posts, gang.

Album that shouldn't have been made?
    U2 - all of the 90s.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Word didn't get far enough, soon enough.

The show wasn't that bad, actually. It was about what you'd expect, under the circumstances: all the instrumental playing was kind of generic, and as much as I'd always liked Evans' singing on Shades, Book and Deep Purple, he really never did have the sort of voice to be singing Gillan's or Coverdale's tunes, and certainly not ten years later. It was just a letdown because it wasn't what we thought we were going to get.

The dude chainsawing the organ in half was fun, though. :lol:

Yeah, now all we have to do is figure out where the hell Australis has got himself to. He should have been here yesterday.

15. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

The album DP should regret (if they don't already) is Slaves and Masters, but even that has a few good tracks on it ("Cut Runs Deep" springs immediately to mind).

Agree with this Darth.

Nerdie, I like Garage days, bought it when it came out, it's when I hear James singing Turn The Page that I go uh, what the fork? I really like they're Sab renditions off of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath live. I got it on a mini cd.

As for Technical Ecstasy, if I had to pick one of theirs, that would be it. It does have a couple staple tunes of theirs, Dirty Women, ( the live version on the 78 film is awesome). Shes Gone shows Geezers ability to stretch lyrically.

The problem with the band at this stage,( there were several, drugs didn't work anymore so said Geezer, but Oz & Bill just did more to make up for it, that & the split in direction Oz wanted & the other 3 ignored), was that the Sabs never got the same sort of recognition Zeppelin & the Purps got as songwriters, & so they decided to try & move into more sophisticated lyrical & musical direction, the result was, well you know it as well as I do. You can't really cut the balls of of Sabbath & get away with it.

Having said that, Never Say Die WAS sophisticated, had jazz bits, a horn section, & aside from Geezers most hated Sab track off alltime, Swinging the Chain, it's really a great record.

Oh, & thanks for the show story Sharak, very cool. Always wondered about that. Perhaps Wendy O stole the chainsaw bit.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  16. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

Ram it Down is the standout track on Ram it Down. Johnny B Goode is probably Priests biggest mistake.

Blood Red Skies pales in comparison to Desert Plains, but ain't bad.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I think it was part of the Plasmatics' act already at that time, and may have been done even before that by Ron Mael of Sparks.

18. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

as for Oz, I lost interest after Barf at the Moon. Only bought it to hear Jake E Lee & Tommy Aldridge.

A crime they did against Daisley & Kerslake.

Here's a couple Purple related not so well known bits. Ritchie told Martin Birch that Iron Maiden were real good, & that he should work with em, which on his reccomendation did. The rest is history.

Wishbone Ash got signed after Ritchie told the label how good they were, ( this after one of Ash's guit players one upped Ritchie at a sound check. They were opening for Purple at the time).

Purple were thrown off the 68 Cream tour for goofing around, playing country tunes & such.

Rainbow's Difficult to Cure album cover was turned down a few years earlier by Sabbath for Never say Die.

As an asides, I think Perfect Strangers was a near perfect album. Yngwie Malmsteen said a bit after it came out; Ritchie tried real hard on it & is still one of the best players in the world.

19. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

Though not an album, Alright Now redone by Rod Stewart was perhaps not the best choice. When the original version of a song is perfect, leave it be.

Love Zeppelins Presence album. Achilles Last Stand is one of the alltime best Zep tunes. It and Wish you were Here are 2 of the best records 1975 offered up.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  20. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

This would be the State of Shock album, which I think is a pretty good effort. Ted has put out much worse.

Crusader by Saxon wasn't the worst either. Remember their cover of that Christopher Cross song? Yikes.

I submit Black Sabbath Eternal Idol

"The Beatles - Get Back

True, this later turned into Let It Be which was pretty great, but at the time that they scrapped it they were probably pretty sorry they had decided to go in that direction."

I just got "Let it Be - Naked", which IMO is a vast improvment. More what "Get Back" was suppose to be.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008