TCM Genre movies schedule...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Klaus, Sep 27, 2011.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

It's a classic. You should definitely record it.

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is how much of a nerd I am: I turned on the TV for half a second, saw a glimpse of a boat and immediately realized it was the one from the creature from the Black Lagoon

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, darn, I forgot this was tonight, and it's too late to record Creature. I'm not sure I've ever seen that one, at least since childhood.

4. the G-man

Yeah I got sucked in. I haven't seen it since I was a kid and one of the things I had forgotten was how smart the creature is. he effectively outwits the crew of the boat more often than not.

Also as an aside I gotta say how incredibly hot Julia Adams was at the time. I couldnt take my eyes off her. Absolutely stunning.

5. RJDiogenes

^^ Yeah, the white bathing suit scene is legendary.

Hopefully, my recording of Tarantula was successful. I'll try to watch it today.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Dare I admit that I have an autographed photo of Julia Adams framed on the wall of my office? (I'm looking at it right now!)

Alas, I haven't met her. The photo was a gift from a friend years ago.

7. the G-man

I didn't even catch the white bathing suit scene this go-round. Just her face alone was incredible, a bit like a more down to earth Liz Taylor.

8. Christopher

Upcoming:

Monday 1/14
    9 PM: What Lies Beneath (2000 Zemeckis supernatural thriller w/ Harrison Ford)

Thu 1/17
    6 AM: 20 Million Miles to Earth (Harryhausen classic)
    6:15 PM: Ghosts Italian Style (haunted-house comedy)

Wed 1/23: Marathon of horror films from 7:30 AM to 8 PM, including but not limited to (leaving out the non-SF/supernatural ones):

9:15 AM: The Terror (Roger Corman ghost story with Boris Karloff, Jack Nicholson)
    10:45 AM: The Reptile
    2:15 PM: The Mummy (1959 Hammer version w/ Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee)
    4:15 PM: The Body Snatcher (last film Karloff & Lugosi did together, directed by Robert Wise -- maybe not supernatural, but of interest to horror fans)
    6:00 PM: The Haunting (also by Wise, w/ Julie Harris & Claire Bloom)

Saturday 1/26
    2:30 AM: House of Seven Corpses (1974 haunted-house film)
    4:30 AM: House on Haunted Hill (with Vincent Price)

9. Greg Cox

Watched a horribly turgid 1971 version of MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE on TCM the other night. Not sure how you make a movie about a disfigured homicidal maniac in a gorilla suit boring, but somehow they managed . . . .

10. RJDiogenes

^^ I saw part of that. That was a bad gorilla suit.

11. Greg Cox

In their defense, it wasn't supposed to be a real gorilla. It was supposed to be a madman in a stolen gorilla suit.

This was (possibly unintentional) bright idea: Rather than trying to pass off that crappy gorilla suit as as a real ape, they established early on that the killer was just what he appeared to be: a man in a crappy gorilla suit!

Still a pretty lousy movie, though.

12. RJDiogenes

I'm a fan of B-Movies and it did not look interesting to me at all.

13. Greg Cox

Honestly, you didn't miss anything. Old B-movies are my comfort food, but even I almost gave up on it. It's slow, convoluted, and padded out with repetitive dream sequences and flashbacks. The earlier versions (with Lugosi and Karl Malden, respectively) are much better.

As for the upcoming stuff, I can't recommend THE BODY SNATCHER highly enough. Probably Karloff's best performance, aside from maybe FRANKENSTEIN and THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN. Lugosi's part is much smaller by comparison, but he and Karloff have one great scene together.

More trivia: the movie is directed by Robert Wise, whom, of course, went on to direct such films as THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN, THE HAUNTING, and STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE. (Not to mention THE SOUND OF MUSIC and WEST SIDE STORY!)

14. RJDiogenes

Yes, The Body Snatcher is very good. I have that one on DVD. I forget if it's part of the Karloff collection DVD set, or a standalone that I got from Alpha or one of those companies.

15. Christopher

Oops, we let this thread slide for a bit, but here's what's coming up over the rest of February:

Today (2/10) at 5:45 EST is Ron Howard's Cocoon, which is inexplicably listed as "Horror."

Tue 2/12, 6:15 AM: Does The Hunchback of Notre Dame count as genre? They've got it billed as Horror too. It's the '39 Charles Laughton version.

Wed 2/13, 4:30 PM: Mighty Joe Young (1949), Ray Harryhausen's first major film (working with King Kong animator Willis O'Brien).

Sun 2/17, 7:15 AM: King Solomon's Mines (1950) with Deborah Kerr and Stewart Granger.

Mon 2/18:
    6 PM: George Pal's The Time Machine (1960)
    8 PM: Tobe Hooper's Poltergeist (1982)

Wed 2/20, 5:30 PM: The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962), featuring stop-motion animation by George Pal (within a live-action biopic about the Grimms).

Fri 2/22, 8 PM: Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941), which was remade in 1978 as Heaven Can Wait.

Sat 2/23:
    8 AM: The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T (1953), an overlooked classic written by Dr. Seuss and starring Hans Conreid.
    11:30 AM: Bell, Book and Candle (1959), James Stewart movie about a witch who doesn't use the Oxford comma (I guess).

Mon 2/25:
    5:30 PM: Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) -- evidently the original theatrical cut, since it says "135 minutes."
    8 PM: Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988)

Tue 2/26:
    9:15 AM: One Million B.C. (1941) with Victor Mature -- sadly, not the Raquel Welch remake.
    3:15 PM: Topper (1937)
    5:00 PM: Topper Takes a Trip (1939)
    6:30 PM: Topper Returns (1941)

Wed 2/27, 1:45 PM: The Jungle Book (1942) -- I guess it's marginally fantasy.

Thu 2/28, 2 AM: The Thief of Baghdad (1940)

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Roger Rabbit? Awesome, I've been wanting to see that again.

17. RJDiogenes

I haven't seen either The Wonderful World Of The Brothers Grimm or The 5000 Fingers Of Dr. T, I don't think, so I'm looking forward to taping those.

Ah, but this is a wonderful movie. Carole Landis is a match for Raquel Welch and Victor Mature is far better than whatsisname. This is a rare case of the original and the remake being equally good.

18. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember a high-school history teacher, when we watched an edited-down version of Mature's version of Hannibal [the Carthaginian general, not the famed nosher] in class, describing Victor as having two expressions-- "pain, and more pain." :lol:

I love him wrestling the stuffed lion in Samson and Delilah, personally. An all-time classic awful sfx moment.

19. Greg Cox

I enjoyed the original version, too, but I'd say the Ray Harryhausen effects give the remake an edge. And Carole Landis is a cutie of a cave girl, true, but no match for Raquel and her legendary fur bikini!

20. RJDiogenes

^^ Well, an early 40s movie and a late 60s movie are an entirely different mind set. It's like a Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon and 2001. Certainly, Harryhausen is superior to pigs with prosthetics, but the artistry is still enjoyable. And while the fur bikini is certainly better, Carole Landis was pretty incredible-- I guess a perfect world would have Carole Landis in the fur bikini. :rommie:

Yes, that was awesome indeed. :rommie: