list of boyfriend rules

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Or you just let the smell linger. Because it's funnier.

2. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. Should be nice.

2. Should be pretty.

3. Should have a cat.

4. Must not be socially conservative.

5. Must not be chirpy, bubbly, or "mad".

6. Should be passionate about music or the visual arts, doesn't matter which or what kind.

7. Preferably not teetotal, rabidly anti-drugs, or vegetarian. There's wiggle room though, depending on how one shapes up on rules 1 - 6.

3. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd drop #2. It changes with time anyway. I rather have an ugly man whith a kind heart than an egoitistical Adonis.

I apparently disagree with many posters here on the "respect everyone" rule. In my book disrespect must be earned, not the other way round.

4. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Difference between Americans and Swedes: we don't really find farts funny most of the time.

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ My Swedish ancestry definitely shows in that respect. :rommie:

Good list, Pingfah. Mine would be similar.

Well, I do give people the benefit of the doubt right off the bat, but there are definitely people I don't respect.

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Lutfisk, that's all I have to say.

7. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

A practicing believer in God would be the sum total of my list. That sorts out concerns about manners, respect, gentleness, charitability, and whether the person genuinely from the heart wants to do good, or is simply trying to impress those around him, or inflating his own ego. It also takes care of concerns regarding materialism/individualism, in that the spiritual life and character and good actions become the primary focus. This type of essence makes a person more trustworthy, reliable, and strong, in all areas of life. And it becomes possible to work together towards success in the next life, not just this one.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  8. Pingfah

Erm... what? :lol:

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Apparently we can't genuinely be good, honest or caring without being religious.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

@AnOfficer: How you doin'? *straightens tie*

11. Pingfah

Well, she doesn't actually say that, although it might be reasonably inferred.

She does seem to think that being a believer in God (any apparently) guarantees that you will be those things though, which obviously is breathtakingly deluded nonsense. :lol:

12. An Officer

Not a guarantee, I'm well acquainted with the imperfections of life, it is simply a preferred starting point for me, personally. Some people like twinkling eyes or a lovely tall figure... piety, for me, is infinitely attractive.

13. An Officer

I didn't realise baseball was a religion!

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Oh, don't worry, it's not. I cheer for teams; I worship God. :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  15. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I actually do think they're funny. There is a fabulous quote: "You don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart, but you'd have to be stupid not to." Part of their charm is that they are a breech in etiquette, though, and so maintaining that etiquette 99% of the time is important!

You are a very nice person, An Officer, so I don't think you meant to be unkind or prejudiced in your post. I also understand why worldview is important for a lot of people when finding a partner, so I don't begrudge you at all your requirement that someone be of similar religiosity to you. I think it would be hard for me to date someone who was not atheist or agnostic, even though I have many friends of varying kinds and degrees of religiosity. I may be wrong, but I just don't know that I could spend my life and my intimacy with someone who saw the world drastically differently to me.

That being said, try reading back what you wrote from the perspective of a non-believer. You've explicitly stated that manners, respect, gentleness, charity, trustworthiness, reliability, and strength are all given if a person is a believer (which is patently untrue), and implied that all these things are lacking in non-believers. Implying too, that nonbelievers do good only to impress others or inflate their own ego.
    Do you see how, well...horrible that is? If someone wrote all that about believers, and you read it, how would it make you feel?

None of those qualities are dependent upon belief, and there's loads of research showing that non-believers are just as law-abiding, generous, cheritable, trustworthy, etc. as believers are. There are plenty who would argue that it is the non-believer who does good for the sake of doing good, and the believer who does good only for reward or fear of punishment...how does that make you feel? Personally, I don't agree with that argument, but I understand why people make it: It gets exhausting being told you're a bad person just because you don't believe in god, however indirectly that telling is done. Even though I don't think you're an outright prejudiced person, it seems you have some underlying assumptions about non-believers that are wrong, and that are informing your opinion of them. Maybe you could examine them again, bearing in mind that we are just like you--the only difference is that we don't believe in god, and that's not as big a difference as you think it is. :)

16. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

PS I just wrote about farts, prejudice, and the nature of morality in one post. This makes me very pleased.

17. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Your job here is done. ;)

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

That's largely how the threads here go. :lol:

19. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

That list is so cute. It would be interesting to see what they actually settle for in the future.

20. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

First off, I really shouldn't post before breakfast. I get all snippy.

And of course we can find farts funny. I have siblings after all, it's near a form of communication. but I guess it's just levels of it. For example...the bloody Slitheen in Doctor Who. I know, they haven't really been sen in the series since the first season of the restart, but...fart aliens? I just don't find it funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.