THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Now that An Unexpected Journey has been released on Blu-ray/DVD, it looks like it's time for the focus to shift towards The Desolation of Smaug. People who purchased the Blu-ray were given a code that granted them access to a live sneak-peek of the next movie, hosted by Peter Jackson, which occurred a few days ago. But for those of us who weren't fortunate enough to see it, Jackson has posted a brief excerpt of the event on YouTube. There's not a ton there, but we see some very short clips and some concept art, and a bit of goofy fun as well. :techman:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvF8bpowywI[/yt]

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

At about 4:50 in that video, when he is going through the drawer, you can see the story treatment for Episode VIII. Yes, he'll probably direct that!

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Intentional leak?

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It's just a joke.

6. Skywalker

Or is it? :shifty:

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was that the folder that started to slip out of the drawer? Or the red thing on the table?

8. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since the blu-ray release, I must admit I've warmed to The Hobbit a bit more than when I saw it at the theater, which left me disappointed. Somehow the movie doesn't seem as long now in the home environment. Plus, I can easily skip over the Old Bilbo/Frodo prologue and go right to the start of the actual story if I so choose. :)

9. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Still waiting for the DVD trilogy box set in the bargain bin. Then it might be worth a punt.

10. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

This has been my experience, as well. While it may be the shortest of the four existing films, it felt like the longest when I saw it theatrically. Overall, I was underwhelmed. Not so when viewed in the comforts of my own home.

11. Obiwansolo18

Obiwansolo18 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The first time I saw it in theaters I thought it was a little long too. After going to see it a second time movie felt passed perfectly, I have nonidea why first watch feels tedious and recurring watches after seem shorter. I dont care though waiting on directors cut.

12. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

My first viewing dragged a bit too. Subsequent viewings have been fine.

13. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Ultimately, An Unexpected Journey was a good, IMHO very good movie - but it wasn't exceptional in the way Fellowship of the Ring was. Not only does it have some flaws (Azog, cartoonish action, and for some viewers pacing), its subject matter is "smaller" and less epic. Still, for the kind of film it sets out to be - a fun adventure as well as an introduction to Middle Earth, its cultures and its overriding conflicts - it is quite the success.

Bring on the Desolation of Smaug!

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

When are we getting a damn teaser trailer?

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably with Man of Steel.

16. Skywalker

That'd be my guess, too.

I wonder if they're still going to continue with the production diaries for the next two films.

17. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Entertainment Weekly has released an image of Evangeline Lilly as the elf Taurial, a character created for the movie:

[​IMG]

18. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Still waiting till all 3 are in the bargain bucket.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm going to spend 100 bucks to charity if Legolas comes up to Tauriel and says "Hey, freckles."

20. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the first hobbit movie, even though it had some definate flaws, but I'm beyond annoyed at all these additions. There is a reason they've done them, because the book can not support 3 films. They should have just done one film, or maybe two, and cut out all of this added junk. The orc king/leader was generic and pointless in the first one, and they don't need to go adding even more stuff. Just tell the damn story, it was a great story as it was. They've screwed up by trying to milk it over three movies. I still think, when its all done, I'll look ath The Hobbit movies positively, but it could have been better if they'd just stuck to the book.