"The Fall" books - Where exactly do they fit? (No spoilers please)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by theblitz, Sep 30, 2013.

1. theblitz

theblitz Commander Red Shirt

2. RoB

RoB Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The "Fall" series is set in 2385, so it takes place after "Raise the Dawn" and "Brinkmanship".

3. theblitz

Thanks.
    Means I can wait a bit and get it cheap. :)

4. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

Or you could buy them now and help the authors who write these stories make a living and continue to write Star Trek books. Just a thought. :vulcan:

Kevin

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not everyone lives in financial luxury. As long as someone isn't talking about reading the book in an illegal manner, why judge?

6. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always got updated reading order lists on my site, which you'll find in my sig.

7. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

I try to mix it up as best I can. I can't afford to buy all the books new, but at the same time, I want to encourage more books to be written and make sure the authors make out as best they can. So I'll buy some of the new books even though I'm not even close to being caught up in the current continuity.

8. theblitz

I tend to buy all my books second hand on Amazon except in very are cases.

I know that the money doesn't go directly to the author but it gives money back to the seller who will then buy other books.
    Many buyers take into account the fact that they will get something back for the book when they have finished reading it.

There is no way I would have been able to afford buying 40 or so books I have bought over the past year and a half if I paid full price.

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Glad to see my list is so helpful to you!

If I may make a suggestion for some books to read before you get to The Fall:

Even though it is undoubtedly a TNG novel, you may want to pick up David Mack's Silent Weapons, the second book in his Cold Equations trilogy. It follows up on important plot arcs from Zero Sum Game and Plagues/Raise (which are DSN books in all but name), and features an event that's an important counterpoint to the events of The Fall. And, heck, if you like it, you might as well pick up Books I and III -- The Persistence of Memory and The Body Electric -- just for enjoyment. (The main plot of each Cold Equations novel is standalone.)

You may also want to consider reading the following novels:

- A Time to Kill by David Mack (TNG, 2004)
    - A Time to Heal by David Mack (TNG, 2004)
    - A Time for War, A Time for Peace by Keith R.A. DeCandido (TNG, 2004)
    - Articles of the Federation by Keith R.A. DeCandido (Multi-series, 2005)

This set constitutes a distinct arc. I recommend them because I suspect -- but do not know for sure -- that The Fall may follow up on the events of this arc. (Also, I love Articles -- who can help burt adore a Star Trek version of The West Wing?)

So, if you've read up through Brinkmanship and you haven't already read the ones I listed above, my recommendation is to read in this order (star next to those I'm recommending purely for quality, not for direct plot relation to The Fall):

- Brinkmanship by Una McCormack (2012)
    - A Time to Kill by David Mack (2004)
    - A Time to Heal by David Mack (2004)
    - A Time for War, A Time for Peace by Keith R.A. DeCandido (2004)
    - Articles of the Federation by Keith R.A. DeCandido (2005)
    - Cold Equations: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack (2012) *
    - Cold Equations: Silent Weapons by David Mack (2012)
    - Cold Equations: The Body Electric by David Mack (2012) *
    - The Fall: Revelation and Dust by David R. George III (2013)
    - The Fall: The Crimson Shadow by Una McCormack (2013)
    - The Fall: A Ceremony of Losses by David Mack (2013)
    - The Fall: The Poisoned Chalice by James Swallow (2013)
    - The Fall: Peaceable Kingdoms by Dayton Ward (2013)

ETA: And if cost is an issue, I'd definitely check out your local library.

10. theblitz

WOW.
    That is a lot to read.
    Took me a year to get through 26 books (all the DS9 relaunch, Mirror Universe plus the supporting stories).
    At 2 weeks a book I think it will be some time til I get to these.

The cost is not the end of the world.
    I get them on Amazon at about $2.80 a shot including postage.
    Local library would probably not help that much. I live in Israel and I doubt they stock them.

Sometimes I feel like the kid in school who hasn't done his homework for a few weeks and now has to do it all before end of term.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^You're certainly not required to read all those books first. Any given novel or miniseries is optimally designed to work as its own independent story. Heck, sometimes it can be worthwhile to read a later story first and then have your curiosity fired about what led up to it.

12. theblitz

I guess that by the time I finish Brinkmanship I can find out which books are required reading before The Fall.

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Absolutely! I'm suggesting what might be the most enjoyable reading order, not the only enjoyable reading order.

Theblitz, if you'd rather just dive right on in to The Fall, you shouldn't feel like you can't. The first two are already out in the United States. None of this is required reading -- it's suggested only.

14. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only 24th century books I haven't read are SNW, Shatnerverse and a bunch of the old numbered TNG and Voy books so I think I'm ready.

15. theblitz

@Sci
    I think it would probably be best to to finish the Destiny and Typhon Pact books first. Especially since I have already bought them (though I might have to re-buy the Destiny trilogy if the guy that brings them for me can't find it).

Plenty to read in the "Porcelain Reading Room".

16. theblitz

So, I had to re-buy the Destiny trilogy cos the guy who brings them for me lost it somewhere.
    Bought it new - just to make Ktrek happy. :)
    (Actaully, I bought it new cos I couldn't find a used one in good enough condition to make it worthwhile.)

17. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

I hope you bought the omnibus edition — it's less expensive than buying all three books separately.

18. theblitz

^^^Yeah.
    The lost one was also the omnibus edition.
    At 700+ pages it's gonna be heavy.

19. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey peeps, is The Fall in chronological order? Or is it like the earlier Typhon Pact stuff? Or is that all a mystery still?

20. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure yet. A part of TCS is set before a big event in RaD. I asume that the other novels will all be set in chronological order.