DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Batman has been nothing but "events" lately. RIP led to Battle for the Cowl lead to Batman Reborn lead to Search for Bruce Wayne led to Batman Inc led to Leviathan...

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would disagree in calling those "events". Batman, Inc is a continuation of Morrison's run that started in "Batman and Son". The only reason that RIP is considered an event is because of the tie-in to Final Crisis. I would hazard a guess that Morrison probably considered RIP a mere arc in his run. "Batman Reborn" was the launching point for "Batman and Robin" and "Batman, Inc" a continuation. Maybe I'm arguing semantics but I don't consider these events. At least not on the scale of "Final Crisis" or "Flashpoint".

Superman Panel from NYCC. They announced Superman: Earth One volume two will be out near the end of 2012. So we will get both Batman and Superman out next year.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/nycc-2011-dc-superman-panel-111015.html

Justice League panel...interesting they reveal who is actually fighting who in issue two.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/nycc-2011-dc-justice-league-111015.html

Also this is kind of exciting...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10...ajor-new-52-questions-captain-marvel-returns/

This will upset Misfit Toy

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/15/the-fate-of-krypto/

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Well if anyone needs a huge update in every way its the Big Red Cheese. Its really his supporting cast that needs help. Sivana as the main bad guy is so dated he just doesnt work anymore. The cackling mad scientist just cant hold his own in todays more complex world.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Captain Marvel in a back-up feature in Justice League, cool. Glad it's also I high profile book, that indicates some seriousness that DC is taking with the character. Good to see.

5. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, I tried to post earlier, but it ate it:

Point 1: Krypto is a God damned abomination.

Point 2: Grant Morrison is going to do a Golden Age/Marstonesque take on Wonder Woman in 2012. I am cautiously optimistic. I hope it's the Morrison of old--the Morrison of Invisibles, of The Filth, of the New X-Men, of JLA--and not the Morrison of Batman, Final Crisis, and Action Comics. I've hated to see him go from the second best writer in comics (for all his bluster, he was never going to overtake Alan Moore, not on his best day) to basically a very competent one.

But we can rest assured: it's Grant Morrison, so it'll be fine. The question is, whether it can do more than that and justify his pretentions. (And I'm not just making a blanket statement. In the statement I read, he was very pretentious. "Immersing [himself] in feminist theory." Fine and good. Maybe he'll be able to write more than two woman character types now.)

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish they'd gone with the Captain Marvel in the Flashpoint mini. That was easily the most interesting idea I have seen.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Not having read flashpoint, what did they do with Marvel in it?

8. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

You're dead to me. :klingon: :(

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Think Captain Planet.

5 kids, the Marvel Family, gelled into Captain Marvel when all said the magic word together.

Separately they might have almost had powers?

10. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Agreed. Batman Reborn was an event in the same way that the X-Men Reload was a few years back. They are a new direction, but you don't need to read all of them or even more than one to understand what's going on. That's what I consider an event. I could be wrong though.

11. Admiral_Young

I'm just excited that we are getting a Gary Frank designed Captain Marvel. We'll see how Johns handles the character. Wasn't fond of the Captain Planet-esque take on the characters in "Flashpoint".

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm really liking Captain Marvel on Young Justice.

They don't know that he's a kid.

It's hilarious.

Hey?

How many people got fired for the new 52?

Some people would have have been shuffled but September must have been a bloodbath of a purge.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It has nothing to do with her politics, I'm willing to bet she and I agree on many political issues, But Longshot and that Daredevil run ( what I read of it) were pretty bad. Enough to make me avoid any future comics written by her. Maybe she got better. I'm just not willing to take the chance.

14. Admiral_Young

Maybe she'll make "Green Arrow" better because it was pretty boring to me. J.T. Krul had a pretty decent run on "Teen Titans" prior to the relaunch but I don't think that he was the right writer for Green Arrow.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Well she might go "political". Bring back the lefty GA from the O'Neil-Adams run or the somewhat reactionary GA from Grell's run.

16. Hound of UIster

Honestly I miss Krul writing TT.

I just don't like the radical redesigns Lobdell has done with Wonder Girl and Kidflash.

Frankly I think DC should have divided up the characters. They should have put Starfire/Red Arrow/Raven and all the other traditional titans characters in the TT book.

They should have put Superboy/Red Robin/Kid Flash/Wondergirl and all the other 90s and 00s characters in the YJ book to tie in with the cartoon.

17. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's already a Young Justice book that ties in with the cartoon though.

18. Hound of UIster

I'm talking about a Young Justice book in the NuDCU that doesn't share continuity with the cartoon.

19. Admiral_Young

I would agree that I don't like Cassie's redesign or really her character from what little we've seen of her so far.

20. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I would just hope for the van dyke to return...