Urban Fantasy: Vampire and Witches and Weres, oh my!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Dec 2, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up Magic Burns today. I really enjoyed it, it definitely cemented the series place as one of my favorites. A definitely 5/5 for me.
    I've got 5 The Hollows books waiting to be read, so I'm probably going to start working through those once I get through some of the other stuff I'm reading right now.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I really hope Jim Butcher finishes Skin Game (or whatever he decides to call it) soon. I need my next Dresden fix. :(

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Its publishing date is first week of December as far as I've seen.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started reading the fourth The Hollows book, A Fistfull of Charms last week. I love this series, and after only a couple chapters I can already tell this one isn't going to change that.

6. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am late to the game but I want to read The Vampire Diaries novels because I love the show but I hear it differs a great deal from the original novels. Thoughts?

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've had the same thought myself, but I've never really heard much about the books either way.

8. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing I heard people complain about is in the books Elena is blonde, The Salvatore Brothers are Italian & there is no BFF of Elena in Meredith. The one from S3 doesn't count it seems. LOL. According to TVD wiki of the show she is alive and we haven't seen her since S4? I actually liked the Meredith they had on the show it is strange she just disappeared.

9. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

Have you read any more in the Kate Daniels series yet?

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm torn between reading Magic Bleed (Kate Daniels #4) and Proven Guilty (Dresden Files #8) after I finish Divergent. Luckily I have over a hundred pages left in Divergent, so I have time to make up my mind.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since I couldn't decide between Magic Bleeds and Proven Guilty, I decided to set aside one of my other books I was reading and start both of the.

12. Skywalker

Has anyone else picked up Skin Game yet? It just came out today. I ran out and bought it ASAP. The precious is mine at last! :ouch:

13. Bob The Skutter

I'm about 30% through it now.

14. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Got it Monday at Midnight, soon as the Ebook was available! (I'll still buy the Hardback for my Shelf, but I read everything in Ebook now on my phone)

I'm currently about 60% through it. Butcher really knows how to spin a good yarn. Plus I'm eager to try out his forthcoming new series Cinderspires: The Aeronaut's Windlass.

15. Bob The Skutter

I was busy for half the day yesterday, only got started around 3 and a headache with some visual disturbances came on after about an hour but I kept reading until around 5 and had to give up until bedtime and read another chapter before going to sleep. Otherwise I'd have probably finished it in one sitting.

With how long this took to come out I'm beginning to worry I may never see the series through, but I'm looking forward to more of his work.

16. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I can't believe I haven't noticed this thread till today. I've been reading many urban fantasy series over the past three years and these have been my favorites:

1. Any novels by Richelle Mead (Georgina Kincaid series, Vampire Academy series, Bloodlines series, Dark Swan series)
    2. Ilona Andrew's Kate Daniels series
    3. Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson series
    4. Ilona Andrew's The Edge series
    5. Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series (I've only read the prequel and book 1. Currently reading book 2, so far its been good)

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  17. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always try to pace myself when reading a new 'Dresden' but I can only savor it so long. I stretched this one from Early Tuesday Morning thru about an hour ago Wednesday Afternoon.

Skin Game was awesome! Best one yet from my perspective. Slightly nudging Dead Beat down into the #2 spot. He's closing in on the finale at this point but it's going to be 8 more years (MINIMUM) and that's if he stops at 20 casebooks and starts the B.A.T.

All I can say is, Bring on Dresden #16: PEACE TALKS (Can't wait)

18. Bob The Skutter

Oh, has that been announced as the title? Any tentative dates? I noticed Amazon list Cinder Spire 1 as an August release.

19. Skywalker

Butcher said on his recent Reddit AMA that it would be the title, but I haven't seen an "official" announcement yet.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone here read the Syrena Legacy books? I picked up the first one today cheap for my Kindle app. I've been curious to check out some modern mermaid stories, and this ones seems pretty well liked. I read the Kindle sample a few months back, and I enjoyed it.