Tasha Yar novels

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by tomswift2002, Aug 19, 2012.

1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I'm just trying to figure out which novels Tasha Yar appears in as a character (not just in flashbacks).

I know that she appears in the first 4 numbered TNG, then #51, the first book in the Double Helix series.

Does she appear in any other books?

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

3. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I read about one in Memory-Beta that ivolved some freelance mercs with ethics. Anybody has any idea what i am talking about?

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Sure. Use the "Find" facility on the MB page. "On a mission to the planet Treva, Yar was kidnapped by followers of Darryl Adin, who was now a mercenary and freelance freedom fighter aiding the rebels on that world" ["Survivors"].

Adin returns in "Metamorphosis", but Tasha is dead by then.

5. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I wasn't sure if it was in the Yar bio or not.

6. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

She's kind of in Q-Squared. Don't really want to spoil the "kind of" if you haven't read it yet.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Oh my god I look like a boy!"

:lol:

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ She is in it then. I thought I remembered her being in it, but I wasn't confident enough to post about it.

9. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

If I remember right, Jim Johnson's "A Terrible Beauty" from the Shards and Shadows anthology featured (albeit briefly) Tasha Yar from the mirror universe.

10. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I think all of the novels have been covered but out of all of those I think that Survivors is the book where she is the main character throughout.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Briefly but pretty damn memorably.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tasha crops up briefly in Vulcan's Heart, among the Enterprise-C survivors.

13. tomswift2002

I read Q-Squared about ten years ago, so I vaugely remember Tasha being in there.

And I did not forget about the novelizations, but I didn't mention them since I was thinking of original fiction with the Tasha from Season 1, and I realize that there isn't that much time for her since she was only on the show for 23 episodes, unlike the others where they

I do have The Buried Age, but I just haven't had a chance to read it yet. And I know that she definitely is not in #8 The Captain's Honor, since that book takes place just before or after The Neutral Zone.

I was also trying to think of any other books where we saw Yar at the Academy, besides in Survivors the few flashback scenes.

14. Astraea

Astraea Commander Red Shirt

Survivors (#4) is the last numbered novel to take place before Skin of Evil, so that's the last of the early numbered novels with Tasha in it. (Wikipedia has a timeline for all the novel series, and someone else has a more comprehensive timeline.)

I could be wrong, but I can't recall any other Academy-Yar stuff besides Survivors; even the numbered children's books never featured her, AFAIK.

15. tomswift2002

#51 (book 1 of the Double Helix saga) of the TNG line has her in the story, since it's set around 'Code Of Honor'.

But with the Academy series it's surprising that Wesley was never in the series, since Wesley would've been a natural for the series (he left in Season 4 and then returned in Season 5 for an episode that came out close to the release of the Academy series).

16. Astraea

Astraea Commander Red Shirt

Well, Wes being at the Academy wouldn't have mattered - the Academy kids' novels were all prequels, set whenever Worf, Geordi, Crusher, Troi, etc. were at the Academy. (The Worf ones are actually prequels for New Frontier, in the sense that they introduce a bunch of characters that Peter David used as the Excalibur crew - Soleta, McHenry, and Kebron.)

It's a little bit surprising that Tasha never showed up in the Academy books, though; I believe she was at Starfleet Academy at the same time as Worf. (Will Riker makes a cameo as an upperclassman in one of Geordi's novels, for instance, so it wouldn't have been too hard to give her a one-off appearance or something.)

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

He also added a fourth character from the Worf Academy books, Tania Tobias, to last three or four books.
    I honestly never thought about it until today, but it is rather surprising Tasha was never in a Academy book.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Doesn't surprise me. They were young adult books, after all, and they came out starting in the sixth season. The target audience might not even have been old enough to watch the show when Tasha was on it. Even if they remembered her, it would've been a fair percentage of their lives ago. (Unless they caught the show in reruns, I guess.) Either way, it makes sense that the books focused on the currently well-known characters instead of a long-gone character.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good point. I didn't realize they started that far into the series run.

20. tomswift2002

I remember the series came out when I was 9, and CHRO aired the new episodes on Saturday, while running the series Monday to Friday during he week. So I remember seeing Tasha every so often.

But even as a kid I had hoped too see Wesley in an Academy book, with Tasha in there at some point (the books even had the Chronology where Tasha Yar was mentioned as entering the Academy).