Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Do you know where you're posting. You're posting on a message board where some people's main mission was to get ENTERPRISE cancelled because they didn't like it. No concern for the people who did, just wanted it cancelled. Day in and day out they'd proselytize about it. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Leave the show alone and let the people who do like it be able to continue watching. I argued many times (and got in trouble more than once) arguing with certain people. I told them, "if I didn't like whatever they're into, I wouldn't cry for it's cancellation, I'd just watch something else". They never got it. I was offended by one of their avatars but they wouldn't change it, so I changed mine. (I think I'll leave it at that).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it's getting 22 episodes at minimum it seems.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's probably safe to say this series will last until there's literally no one watching it and it become more expensive to produce than it's making in ad revenue. It needs to step up its game, sure, but with some major studios behind it, some big names behind it and a billions-of-dollars worth franchise it's building and riding on it's not a show they're just going to let fade into the ether. They'll retool and rebuild it before they cancel it.

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Um. Like that's EVERY show...

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. Sliders had 40 US viewers for the last two seasons. Powers from on high ignored any financial responsibility on that one.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Shannon Lucio, who played Debbie, the doctor who gave Mike Peterson the Centipede in the pilot, will be re-appearing in the fifth episode, "Girl in the Flower Dress".

I suspected that we would be hearing from her and her mysterious benefactors again.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, the general thought is that the show lasts until they think they can replace it with a more profitable show. But Agents of SHIELD has other intangible benefits as promotion for the Marvel movies, so it has a bit more wiggle room even if there's a show that could replace it.

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Because Marvel movies have had a problem with promotion?

I'm sorry, I think this show will be following the rules pretty much of every other shows. If it's ratings go down far enough (which I don't think it will, I bet the ratings have stabilized) it'll get cancelled. If it loses money, it'll get cancelled.

I think the only special thing about it, it's all in the Disney family--ABC, Marvel, etc.

It's academic, it'll at least be on for the rest of the season.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Pretty much what I was going for. Usually on a show networks will bail if there's a hint of losses coming. I think they'll stick with AoS until the very last person stops watching.

10. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm liking the series overall, but episode three was just really bland. I really hope that the next episode (which looks cool) doesn't focus on the boring Agent and hacking girl. They just waste screentime that could go to the other cast members (or the villains/problem of the episode), and I honestly couldn't care less about their probable "relationship".

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Now that May is volunteering for field duty, hopefully they'll do an episode with her as the lead agent.

12. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Which is another character point they missed exploiting.

May doesn't want to be a field agent even though she is the best because of some traumatic mission or situation gone wrong in her recent past.

Coulson brings her on saying "you don't have to do any of that stuff, I just want you around."

Then she just. . . changes her mind?

If she is going to be the dutiful warrior fighting the good fight because no one else can then take a goddamn minute to hammer that home. Let someone die while she sat back in the Bus knowing she could have made the difference, let her and Coulson fight over the fact that he brought her on knowing full well that eventually the guilt would eat at her and force her back into the field. Let Coulson show that he isn't the friendly happy boss agent leading a wacky team and that he actually knows how to manage people and manipulate them.

Having May just turn around and decide that whatever happened wasn't all that bad after all. It is just lazy. I'm not asking for "grimdark", just drama.

13. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^They didn't exploit it as far as you suggest, but it was about her feeling like she could do a better job while she was stuck on the bus. She didn't just change her mind out of nowhere. They certainly went there sooner and more easily than I would have thought.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It's not clear that whatever is bothering her is over with. She's sucking it up to fight (which she was doing before she was officially doing that), but we'll see if anything pops up again.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Don't call me the Calvary!"

She doesn't want to be called the Calvary anymore perhaps because she did not live up the criteria of her name which might as well be a job title.

The Calvary saves the day.

She didn't.

People died that thought she was coming to save them.

Just a scotch of guilt.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Maybe Sky is an LMD.

17. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

My guess would be that Calvary actually saved the day but is guilt ridden because she wasn't quick enough to save everyone, either that or she saved everyone except the one person she loved most.

18. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

22 episodes, really? Its not 1995 anymore. All that says to me is "lots of filler crap coming your way."

13 standard, 16 or so max, we don't need more than that, not nowadays. The only show left I watch with 22 is Supernatural, and god the last two seasons have had soooo much filler.

With the way a lot of people watch TV shows now (after the season/s are done, via dvd, netflix, illegal internet, whatever) I'd say 22 actually puts people off. I know a friend of mine was put off BSG for a while because of its 20 episode seasons (2, 3, and sort of 4 anyway)

Breaking Bad
    The Wire
    The Sopranos
    True Blood
    The Walking Dead
    American Horror Story
    Dexter
    Boardwalk Empire
    Homeland
    Mad Men

22 episode season? Fuck that.

19. Turtletrekker