Star Trek Into Darkness Honest Trailer

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Aug 21, 2013.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek fans of the “Honest Trailer” series of commentaries can now see one for Star Trek into Darkness. The five-minute trailer points out the flaws of the movie, in a humorous way.

More...

2. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A little cruel, but essentially spot on.

3. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I agree, it was spot on.

However, why did they have to turn old Spock into some sort of pervert....LOL.

Its not like Old Spock didn't have his fair share of women back in his glory days.

4. Yorkshire Niner

Yorkshire Niner Captain Captain

That's hilarious. Love it! And totally spot on. In your face, Abrams!! :-D

5. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Thumbnail."

:lol:

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I didn't get the significance of that - perhaps a reference to something I haven't seen?

7. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I assume it's a reference to how Carol Marcus only exists in the film so that an image of her in her underwear could be used to promote the movie. That image was everywhere when this film was released, and I doubt most people remember her doing anything else in the movie.

8. AUbricklogic

AUbricklogic Ensign Red Shirt

The trailer is exactly what a lot of the film's critics had hoped to hit on and its also exactly what all interviews given to the cast about the film have completely utterly failed to bring up. I really hope Pegg and the rest of the cast see this and realize that criticism =/= blind hatred.

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'm sure they realize that perfectly well without needing a parody trailer to tell them. (Yes, the "honest trailer" does have some valid points, but you might agree that it also goes on far longer than needed. Once the point is made, move on; beating it to death serves no useful purpose.)

Pegg's remarks, on the other hand, were directed specifically at the Badass Digest poll, which I believe reports since have acknowledged had been fudged to yield a predetermined result. Even if Devin Faraci didn't already have a certain reputation for dubious handling of the facts, this supposed poll was a lot like one of those "rank your favorite series" threads in GTD, where People Who Think They're Cute respond:
    In other words, it was never intended to be a credible poll; from the outset it was a deliberate insult dressed up in a journalism costume. That it was uncritically reprinted far and wide (as if it had any value at all) had to be more galling than the insult itself.

Would Pegg have done better simply to blow it off and offer no response? Almost certainly, but I don't think that representing his response as the reaction of someone who's mistaken valid criticism for "blind hatred" is really any more fair or honest than what Faraci did.

Is it? :)

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The funny thing about this trailer is that, sure, I agree with the points it's making, but I still think it's an awesome movie. I watched it. I had fun. Even though it was a total rehash, I still cried during the Kirk/Spock death scene. Movies are there to entertain me, and this one definitely did.

11. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

"Blingons!" :lol:

I love Honest Trailers.

I love Into Darkness.

I see no conflict here. :D

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Ditto. And I think they actually kinda liked it.

Only Star Trek could bring Honest Trailers and How It Should Have Ended together!