Hindsight... Timetravel for Girls?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Guy Gardener, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hindsight

40-something year old blond falls asleep the night before her 2nd wedding, only to wake up 20 years in the past (1995) on the day of her first wedding.

Sixty minute drama on VH1 about feelings.

Girl feelings.

Seriously she's traveled through time (or our heroine is having a nervous breakdown, or possibly a dream during an aneurism? Which more screams of Life on Mars than a master planner at work.) and all "Becca" can think about is if she should marry the same disastrous man again, or if she can use all her privileged future foreknowledge to CHANGE HIM so that this time around, they do have a perfect marriage.

:guffaw:

I've seen all of Ally McBeal 16 times, so I have like a masters degree in girl programming, but once you add an element of the Supernatural into all that girl-stew, I am in hog heaven.

It's good.

Nothing Spectacular, but good. In comparison, when Felicty traveled through time from season 5 to season one to stop herself from cutting her hair (Yes that really happened. Abrams made Felicity, then Lost, and then Star Trek.) the number of times Felicity said "break the space time continuum" during that story arc was cripplingly hilarious.

Where was I?

I liked it, did you?

2. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, they made a series out of Peggy Sue Got Married. I actually did catch a lot of it (by accident, actually), but the main character's personality grated on me a bit. Not my kind of person.

3. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I appreciated that she chose her best friend (who seems pretty fun) over any of the guys (for now) and the thing she wants most to do is smoke a cigarette in a bar. Ah, the little things...

Weird seeing the Seeker pop up as the first hubby.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

My mom loves that show. I tried it once. It wasn't for me.

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Hope this isn't what they turned Being Erica into, because it does sound familiar from the titles being thrown around from awhile back.

6. Guy Gardener

Being Erica, which was just fantastic, is about a woman who zips back and forth from now to the past (or sometimes the future), and back again. Hindsight is more like OUtlander when the hero is stuck in a niche of history which they cannot extricate themselves from. Of course surviving 18th century Scotland is a little more badass than repeating New York in the 90s.

Matthew Perry was in an identically themed sitcom in the 80s called Second Chance. His old man self from around about now was sent all the way back to 1989 to help Matthew not grow up to be such a bastard. I saw the pilot on Youtube. It was awful.

Peggy Sue got Married is a really good example of what happened in the pilot.

7. Owain Taggart

Right, but I had seen a connection between the two somewhere, and now I realize it's because Highsight is from the same writer/producer as Being Erica. Awhile back, there was speculation as to wether this was their American version of the show. I think it was even mentioned in a thread here.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

As others have said from the description the first thing that popped into my head this sounds an awful lot like the film Peggy Sue Got Married

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately there's no Nick Cage speaking in that ridiculous voice.

10. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is the show set in New York? I know it's filmed in Georgia and she was wearing a Michigan hoodie, but I didn't catch the setting from the pilot.

11. Guy Gardener

Google, google...

They obviously want to remake new 1st season episodes of Friends while ignoring the last 20 years of history, tragedy and innovation. Or at least hat's what I thought when I was misinformed that this was a 22 minute sitcom.

Yes, I was taking about Hindsight 8 months ago in the Outlander thread, and I believe at the time that google and I came to the conclusion that Hindsight is not made by the same people as Being Erica, but an early press release said that Hindsight was "like" Being Erica, and then a few people misinterpreted that statement to mean that there was a stronger connection between the two programs, and said as much online.

Being Erica and Hindsight are made in different countries for frakks sake.

12. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, this definitely needs Nic Cage talking like he's overly congested.

My first thought was Peggy Sue Got Married. I remembered having to ask my Mom why people shouldn't eat the red M&Ms - and how there even *were* red M&Ms.

13. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

There's definitely a very strong Being Erica vibe going on. Becca is Erica. Xavier is Doctor Tom, heck he even recite quotes.

14. Owain Taggart

Yes, that would likely be where I first saw it. Still, for it to be by the same producers/writers and have many similarities? And the description itself sounds a lot like Being Erica. Coincidence? I don't think so, although that general premise has obviously gone in a different direction from Erica's. Also if you look online, many others are making direct comparisons.

*shrug* The line is blurred a lot these days. It's obvious to me the producer/writers used what they were familiar with, location notwithstanding.

15. Guy Gardener

You might have misread me because I am rarely ever very clear.

I'll try harder.

I may be wrong, but these two projects are completely unrelated as far as human resources go that the internet is aware of.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  16. Owain Taggart

Of course, it could totally be that the article I read was misleading, in that the assertions were a little too deep, but that isn't stopping people from making direct references. Could also be some of the people involved liked Erica and was inspired from that. A Spiritual successor, maybe?

17. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

I enjoyed the first episode. As a 90's child the nostalgia is particularly fun. However, I could not get over the fact that they didn't even make an effort to have 2015 Becca look even a day older than 1995 Becca. Particular because the actress is 32, and she looks 32.

18. Guy Gardener

The first press release said that Hindsight was LIKE Being Erica.

Which was enough to send some people off on a wild goose chase of bad faith.

I'm wondering if Becca is considering doing anything about the big things?

If the show survives for 6 years, they're going to have to consider how they're going to handle 911.

On Family Guy, without 911, America wasn't shitting it's pants scared enough to re-elect George Bush, who refused to leave power which began a new US Civil War fought with atomic weapons.

19. Owain Taggart

Yeah, that's it, and my Bad. Though I do find it really interesting how they would have said it was like it in the first place, since most Americans wouldn't even be aware of it. Not like it would have been in a lot of people's minds when watching this.

I know there were talks about an American version awhile back. It could be that this was originally it, but looking at it now, it's obvious it went in a different direction, but retaining many similar elements. Like I said, a spiritual successor?

20. Guy Gardener

Well, to be fair, months ago on the Bring Erica wikipedia page, they said that Hindsight was a remake of Being Erica which is what got me all fired up and started us down this rabbit hole. I just checked the page right now, and those references have been removed from Being Erica's wiki.

It's a weird confluence of insulting. On one hand they say that archetypally Americans are Mojos who watch too much TV, but conversely they say that Americans don't know about the outside world, or care about the outside world.

How can they watch all the TV without knowing about all the odd places that that TV comes from?

It's a paradox.