The Thing prequel?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by stj, Feb 1, 2009.

1. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone have more information or thoughts on the story Moore is doing a prequel to The Thing (John Carpenter version,) apparently focusing on the Norwegian camp? This sounds like such a bad idea that I'm wondering if it can be true. Not having Moore do it, since mindless Cold War paranoia is exactly his sort of thing, but the whole prequel thing. I mean, if there was one movie that could logically expect a sequel, it's The Thing. And improvements in action FX for makeup always can up the gore factor. And it would be easy to write continuity with the old series yet still set it in contemporary times. A tiny fragment of space alien, frozen by Antarctic cold, survives in stasis, slowly carried down to the shore, where a cruise ships waits---

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

What I enjoyed about The Thing was the clausturphobia and tension created by the environment of the arctic research outpost. Moving it to a bigger setting would nullify that aspect. And moving it to a setting like a cruise ship where the characters will be more ignorant than the group of scientists doesn't particularly interest me, either.

Not that I'm particularly excited about doing a prequel with the Norwegian characters, becuase (a) they will probably all speak English and (b) there's not much new ground to be covered in the project. Honestly, I'd rather leave the movie lie then do a prequel OR a sequel.

3. jrockwell

jrockwell Cadet Newbie

I'd say the biggest problem with this prequel idea, or any prequel idea, is complete lack of suspense. We know that they all will die, and at the end of the picture, two will survive to jump in the chopper and run after the "dog."

Ron Moore is a great writer, but I don't see how this could be interesting enough to warrant another movie.

That all being said, I'm still going to be in line opening weekend. It's the THING!

4. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

I'm hoping BEYOUND hope that this PREQUAL idea (hey guys I have an idea it's the THING! but it's a PREQUAL):guffaw:is nothing more then a horrible rumor.:vulcan:

5. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

I just noticed I mispelled BEYOND wrong

6. SGCSG1

SGCSG1 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't know what it is

but it's weird and pissed off.

7. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

As well as prequel. :techman:

8. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Oh it's Ronald D. Moore......when I read "Moore" I thought it was Alan Moore.

Now I have even LESS interest in watching it. The chopper pilots will now be pissed off women lesbians who hate men but also want to have sex with them and we will find out the Norwegians worship in a polytheistic manner and are actually all in the dog's head.

Nah, if MooreRon is doing it, count me out BIG TIME.

9. stj

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  10. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

Does EVERY damn movie HAVE TO have an m-effing sequel or prequel:confused:

:wtf: Hollowood!

11. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Horrible idea.

Only thing as bad is the remake of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes they are contemplating at Fox...

Somebody has to stop these people from raping good films...and TV series!

There should be a financial freeze on financing remakes and reimaginings.

Someone needs to say "Come to me with an original idea (unless it's Star Trek of course!) or the project doesn't get funded!...lazy no-talent beotches!"

12. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I've never seen the original film. I should really get around to doing that especially since I love Ron Moore.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

John Carpenter's original (actually the second adaptation of the story by Hollywood) is a horror classic. Even if Moore's version doesn't follow through, or turns out to be horrible, you should see Carpenter's film, no doubt in my mind.

14. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When rumors of Moore's involvement in this project originally surfaced ages ago, I thought it was a remake he was doing, not a prequel. This is the first I've heard that's it's a prequel. Either way, it doesn't really interest me. Carpenter's is a sci-fi classic though.

15. stj

^^^Finally chased down the proper link to the prequel/Norwegians story, which is http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/14971

Looking at the original, I can't tell if the article is just quasiliterate or the site is unreliable.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Ah, yes, that's the article I saw a few weeks ago. I hope it's incorrect, though. MacReady's brother to be the lead? How does that work if the film is from the Norwegian's perspective? Or will that only serve as a jumping off point for a film that is predominately a sequel? And if the script is already written, why is the director the one pushing for the leading character? It's hard to tell what the deal is from that article.

17. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you're gonna do a prequel to The Thing, do a prequel to The Thing. How did the creature get on that saucer? Where did it come from? Was that its ship or did it seize it from the crew? End with the Norwegians digging it out of the ice. No question that's a tougher trick to pull off, but focusing on the Norwegians risks being a rehash of the events in the American camp.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would have expected this story to break in the first #)(%*#)^* week of winter. ;)

19. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

The Thing prequel

The Thing Prequel Script Review
    Click HERE to read the rest.
    via April 27, 2010
    Exclusive: Script review of The Thing prequel

budgeted at $35 million Universal's prequel to The Thing is now shooting up in Toronto, Canada with exteriors in British Columbia, Canada through mid-June.

full interview chat transcript here:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44874

the imdb listing:
    The Thing (2011)

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Clever