Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 29, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

LOL I like that idea.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it has success written all over it, as much as any series concept I've seen for 2013-14. There's all sorts of less likely stuff. People trapped living under a dome? A kid who finds out he's the descendent of ancient Greek gods? The adventures of Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer in Steampunk New Orleans? S.H.I.E.L.D. is one of the few series concepts I'd be willing to bet money on succeeding. Everything else is either derivative or nutty.

Setting it after The Avengers movie is really the only option. Anything else would confuse the audience. You can't expect them to pay close attention to when it's set, etc. They're viewers, not fans.

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Just like the SW prequels confused non-"fans" as to when they were set.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Exactly. I remember walking out of the theater after Episode two, after the wedding of Anakin and Padme, hearing someone say, "Wait, aren' t they supposed to be brother and sister?" :lol:

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, all I meant by my post was that having the series set after The Avengers movie was the only logical direction the series could go, in response to Set Harth's vage post which I interpreted as against the idea. I really don't care how they deal with Coulson's revival. Though I do keep wondering if Iron Man 3 is going to have some hint, even if it is just the scene at the end of the credits.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, sorry I misunderstood.

7. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

INACTIVEUSS Einstein Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anything Joss touches turns to gold, so I believe in this show.

8. Turtletrekker

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The show has a FB and Twitter page as well that can be followed.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm surprised that all the news items lately are referring to Ming-Na Wen by her full name, instead of just Ming-Na, the name she's been using professionally for many years now. Did she decide to change back?

11. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

^ If so, it must have been a very recent decision. I'm pretty sure she was credited as "Ming-Na" on yesterday's "Nashville".

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

13. Turtletrekker

I can see why she wouldn't want to use her husbands name, "Zee". At least not professionally. Say it out loud-- Ming-Na Zee sounds a little too close to "Ming Nazi" :eek:

14. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Why not? As Clark Gregg will be the lead of the show she can be the sort of boss who appears once in a while because Samuel L. Jackson is not a TV actor and just too expensive.

HIMYM is going to have it's last season apparently next year (until they decide to prolong it again) after that she would be fully free to increase from recurring guest star to full starring role in Shield (going immediately from one show to the next while doing the character in movies is an actor's dream when it comes to employment guarantee).

There have been instances in shows where characters got reduced screen time at their own request (barring health issues and pregnancies) and i guess at the end of the show, especially with the hinted at events in Mother, she could get the occasional week off from it to film scenes for Shield.

16. Turtletrekker

And yet he has publicly stated that he would like to play a part in the show somehow. Granted, SLJ as an ongoing regular is out of the question. But an appearance or two a year? For the really important episodes (Sweeps)? I could see it happening.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  17. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yes of course and there seems also to be a trend with major movie actors to try out (well written) TV shows because it gives them more time to develop characters and an interesting acting challenge.

May not be the case here but it seems Jackson likes the Fury role and why not invest a week or two of shooting and have fun again (and make some money off it).

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope Smulders does join S.H.I.E.L.D. in some some capacity, I really liked her in Avengers.
    EDIT: I didn't realize this was starting as just a pilot, I thought it was going directly to series.

19. Turtletrekker

20. Turtletrekker