The Ambergris Element vs. The Eye of the Beholder

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Botany Bay, May 29, 2011.

?

Which episode is better?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2011.
  1. The Ambergris Element

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. The Eye of the Beholder

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm really on the fence with this one. I really can't choose between two episodes I'm not that crazy about.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I went with "Eye of the Beholder." The Lactrans are cool aliens, nicely nonhumanoid, impressively advanced but not falling into the "godlike incorporeal" cliche; and it's nice to see another Starfleet crew, something that rarely happened in TAS (I think this and "The Pirates of Orion" are the only cases). "Ambergris" isn't as appealing; the whole water-breather transformation is rather implausible, and it suffers from the annoying Margaret Armen conceit of alien terminology that's thinly and ridiculously disguised Greek/Latin/English, like "surgo-op" for a surgical operation (not to mention "The Lorelei Signal"'s "opto-aud" for an audiovisual display and "lura-mag" for a device that lured men with a "magnetic" pull).

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

You observations swung it for me. Thanks. I'll go with "Eye Of The Beholder."

5. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

I'd have to say "Eye of the Beholder." It just seems more... colorful. Though I actually like "The Ambergris Element," I have to agree with Christopher that some of the plot devices are a tad silly (sillier).