New STID pics

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by bullethead, Mar 24, 2013.

1. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

John Harrison is on the official Empire front cover with Kirk, Uhura and Spock. McCoy is on one side of J.J. Abrams in the captain's chair. The cover linked in this thread is a fan made version in response to certain people whining that McCoy had been relegated to second tier status by Uhura's rise. Notice the photoshop line and how McCoy's section doesn't quite match the skyline behind Kirk, Uhura and Spock.

~FS

2. Gsam

Gsam Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thank you for the quick reply. I can't say I disagree with the fans wanting Bones to have at least equal status with uhura.

I'm all for expanding the fan base and understand that this isn't "my parents star trek" but I think that with this being an altered time line that pairs spock and uhura then that leaves kirk needing a close companion. You can take the definition of close companion to mean anything you want. I feel that with spock having uhura in his life that the dynamic between he and kirk is very different than in TOS. I think that he needs bones because with the change in dynamic between he and spock that kirk needs someone at his side to confide in and such.

And frankly, I think that bones and even pike have much more of Jim's best interests at heart than spock does.

Again I'm new and am not sure if this was the correct thread to post these thoughts on and for that I apologize. If you would be so kind as to tell me the proper procedure then I will be sure to follow it in the future

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I did read something yesterday which seemed to say that the version of the cover with Bones substituted for Harrison was a fan Photoshop, but it sounds now as if that might have been speculation. Let me see if I can dig it up.

[Edit] - I think this is the one I remember seeing:

https://twitter.com/TrekMovie/status/315636946347126784

Could have been speculation, could have been joking around (they'd been riffing on possible alterations to the cover already), or even just an excuse to use the #wrathofthecumberbabes hashtag.

[Edit, again]
    Actually, I don't see the McCoy edit cover anywhere there, so... ?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  4. Gsam

Gsam Lieutenant Red Shirt

I checked out the links supplied by M'Sharak on their post and it would appear that this is a photoshop version of the empire magazine cover.

Personally, I would like to see them use several different covers for people to collect..but that is just me

thanks for the information...it is much appreciated.

Do you think you could post here to explain how you "marked/square around the post you are replying to?

I see that it makes it easier to understand replies when you see the original post.

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I'm just as excited by the 'John Carpenter and Kurt Russell reunited' under JJ's chair :)

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

The easiest way is to click on the Quote ( [​IMG] ) button at the bottom of the post to which you wish to respond. The board software does the rest and all you have to do is write your reply.

7. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

too slow

8. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

Gsam, you use the "Quote" button under the response to which you wish to reply.

If you look at the structure of Star Trek 2009, that is what happened, though: Bones is Kirk's friend who questions Spock's decisions regarding Kirk, while Uhura is Spock's friend who questions Kirk's decisions. They are basically equals in the role they play. The problem comes from people who willfully misunderstand the structure of the film and want things to stay the same as they were in the 1960s: and thus, we get Star Trek "Fans" who actually say things like this (actual quotes):

"Once again Bones is relegated to N04 behind behind Uhura.
    How annoying. This Uhura has nothing to offer over the quite brilliant Karl Urban’s ‘Bone’s yet they keep pushing her up the pecking order. grrrr"

"Where is Bones? Who is that scary woman on behind? Oh, I almost forgot that this ugly creature is “Uhura” now. And she is now substitute for McCoy. I don’t buy this shit."

"Uhura gets the cover and Bones gets pushed to panel two with Scotty. I know why the marketing people do it, I know: she’s female, of race, good looking, played by a well-known actress. Even so, Bones and Scotty are far more important to the franchise (and more well-known publicly) than Uhura. Uhura is traditionally down in second class with Sulu and Chekov."

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Carol is wearing LOTS of clothes in this pic..

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Been a McCoy fan for thirty-five plus years and love Urban's take on the character. But, if the story makes more sense with Uhura instead of him at the forefront then I'm all for it.

11. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not convinced it's a photon torpedo. I think it might be the Starfleet equivalent of an unmanned drone, particularly since what we saw from the KRE-O Toys that included an Enterprise with 'fighter pods'. It looks like it has a separate set of engines in the back, which you wouldn't expect if it was just a torpedo or probe.
    The KRE-O toys included a volcano playset, and a Klingon Bird of Prey, both of which we know appear in the movie. So it stands to reason that the so called 'fighter pods' will appear as well. This may very well be them.

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

What if its a Helios Device from the upcoming NuTrek game, that sounds kind of like a proto-Genesis Device.

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I've been leaning toward it being the Starfleet version of a predator drone.

14. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmmm ... does anyone else see a dead or unconscious Klingon laying on the ground in photo 3?

Naturally, his face is turned away.

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Could be. But I don't know anything about the game.

16. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't even notice that! Well spotted!

17. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It is not a photon torpedo. It is a transport device that carries and transports Gary7 into the story....

18. greenlight

greenlight Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I hadn't caught that. It looks like he's on his back with his head facing up and wearing one of those helmets.

19. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Would "CVN-65" (USS Enterprise which was recently inactivated) be an indication that is the April´s ship?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  20. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd think it's just an Easter egg. But who knows?